Customizing loads for compact 3" 1911 45ACP

My carry is a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , after shooting it for awhile testing for 100% reliability until I would consider it my carry, I found it so enjoyable to shoot I was concerned in wearing it out . Changed the recoil system to a EGW flat wire single spring system , ordered 3 springs to have on hand , then I started to find the lightest charge that worked 100% , Win231 4.7 great. under a 230gr FMJ set a 1.255. Anyone out there do the same ?

I load all my plinking target pistol ammo to the level of reliable function. It groups well enough I stop there.
My favorite load is a 185 gn cast with clays powder.

My carry is a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , after shooting it for awhile testing for 100% reliability until I would consider it my carry, I found it so enjoyable to shoot I was concerned in wearing it out . Changed the recoil system to a EGW flat wire single spring system , ordered 3 springs to have on hand , then I started to find the lightest charge that worked 100% , Win231 4.7 great. under a 230gr FMJ set a 1.255. Anyone out there do the same ?
Lol, 4.7? back when i used that powder 5.5 wasn't even that hot.

drgrant
Glad I put a smile on your face , it is a mild load . Just dont want to beat it up too bad using full loads , as long as it feeds and shoots reliably that's all I'm looking for , I shoot it every week , it came with CT Laser Grips which adds a little more fun to shooting. Nice little pistol.

Chris

TC Dan
With a new spring I'll raise the load a little as the spring shortens I'll go back down to 4.7

Chris

mac1911
Looks like we're on the same page for target loads , never shot case , your making your own? I only shoot fmj's , 3" 1911 I read could be finicky so I stuck with the 230 fmj hard ball just lowered the charge . How is cast on the barrels ?

Chris

one-eye
I found the Lee factory crimp die works great along with the Lyman sleeved seating die . Cuts down on any bulge from seating. 45ACP is a very easy round to load , brass very rarely gets long enough to trim back , and with a 1911 even full loads are a pleasure to shoot. Great Pistol and you can't beat a 1911 trigger.

Chris

mac1911
Looks like we're on the same page for target loads , never shot case , your making your own? I only shoot fmj's , 3" 1911 I read could be finicky so I stuck with the 230 fmj hard ball just lowered the charge . How is cast on the barrels ?

Chris
I make my own45 acp , 38/357 9mm
For target and plinking its all cast loads.
my 45 acp cast load run from 180 grain SWC to 230gm LRN .
I slug/chamber cast each pistol.
The 45s are darn near no leading except one barrel the lead/throat on that barrel is Fn Huge so I get some lead there.
I have been doing well across the board with cast for target shooting
Sized .002” over , lower velocities and a quality lubricant .

Mac
Your more hard core then I am , boiling your own is a different ball game for sure. Shooting copper is cleaner and pretty simple . You must be shooting alot more then me , I shoot once a week 100 rounds tops , indoor range one hour limit . Did you ever check out CAS ( Cowboy Action Shooting ) ? Looked like fun but my friends would never stop ragging me dressing up like Roy Rogers.

Mac
Your more hard core then I am , boiling your own is a different ball game for sure. Shooting copper is cleaner and pretty simple . You must be shooting alot more then me , I shoot once a week 100 rounds tops , indoor range one hour limit . Did you ever check out CAS ( Cowboy Action Shooting ) ? Looked like fun but my friends would never stop ragging me dressing up like Roy Rogers.
its easy, I have a good amount of free time between 9pm and mid night. I dont shoot as much as I used to ...almost zero these days. CAS is another rabbit hole Im not peaking my head into. looks like alot of fun and another hole in the wallet. Although my loads are right up there for CAS shooting. my 38s are about as slow as you can go .... I also shoot wax bullets out of my 32 SW revolver. Just use a primer for those

mac
I shoot rubber out of my 38spl. using only a primer and opening up the flach hole slightly. Was bullets I would be interested in , is it just a 38 spl mold and wax ? Is it a mess the cylinder and barrel ?

Mac

You need some new friends ;)
It's always tempting to rag on Cowboy Action and similar games, but the fact is you'd be getting together with like minded people to compete with guns and practice a useful skill. That's always cool.

Emac
They were nice enough to let me watch all the stations in shooting and competing as a team in different countries and states , it really is a big organization that I knew nothing about . Also would give me an excuse to buy new toys . The badge the wear is your membership to the club . I really thought it was very interesting but not into dressing up for the occasion. Your competing against time at all the stations and still working as a team is what I liked . It was for sure like stepping back it time in the wild wild west when the good shooters survived.
Chris

mac
I shoot rubber out of my 38spl. using only a primer and opening up the flach hole slightly. Was bullets I would be interested in , is it just a 38 spl mold and wax ? Is it a mess the cylinder and barrel ?
lay out a 1/4" - 3/8" thick layer of wax and just " cookie cut" the case mouth into it.

Emac
They were nice enough to let me watch all the stations in shooting and competing as a team in different countries and states , it really is a big organization that I knew nothing about . Also would give me an excuse to buy new toys . The badge the wear is your membership to the club . I really thought it was very interesting but not into dressing up for the occasion. Your competing against time at all the stations and still working as a team is what I liked . It was for sure like stepping back it time in the wild wild west when the good shooters survived.
Chris
Heck , i cant see going to watch. Hook me up give me a game name and let me try!
i would love to try it. At some point I may buy the firearms needed to play. Like so many other games.
I dont have the time to get to the 3 ranges withing 30 minutes of me and my life schedule is always conflicting with any events!

Mac
First you have to join , when excepted you'll receive a 5 star badge with your ID# .You can I'm sure look it up on line for all the details. Cowboy Action Shooting. It was a nice group of shooters , men and women. You shoot from 5 different positions , I saw this years ago but thought it was a great way to shoot . I'm not into the dress up part , other then that it was a challenge . When I drove down the road hearing the gunfire and arrived at the field , my inside thought was WTF I though I was back it time at Tombstone.

Mac
First you have to join , when excepted you'll receive a 5 star badge with your ID# .You can I'm sure look it up on line for all the details. Cowboy Action Shooting. It was a nice group of shooters , men and women. You shoot from 5 different positions , I saw this years ago but thought it was a great way to shoot . I'm not into the dress up part , other then that it was a challenge . When I drove down the road hearing the gunfire and arrived at the field , my inside thought was WTF I though I was back it time at Tombstone.
Nice, if it meant I could shoot I would join on the spot just to try.
I see a husband and wife practicing CAS at the club sometimes. I hear the wife is more into quick draw now.
I could get into the format like you though Im not sure I would want to dress up ? Heck thats probably a good amount if cash for decent gear that holds up?

mac
I'm sure anyone can join , find what group is in your area . It's a large organization even compete state to state.I saw Colt revolvers ,1911's ,shotguns , pumps and double barrel , 30-30 lever actions . One station you shoot from amake shift stage coach , all timed. It is pretty neat.

Heck , i cant see going to watch. Hook me up give me a game name and let me try!
i would love to try it. At some point I may buy the firearms needed to play. Like so many other games.
I dont have the time to get to the 3 ranges withing 30 minutes of me and my life schedule is always conflicting with any events!

Monument Beach runs a Sa/Cowboy shoot.
You only really need to join to get your scores logged on a nat'l level.

Back
Top Bottom