• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Customer Service vs Gun Store Edetiquette

OPs experience was with an FFL doing a transfer - didn't buy the gun from the FFL. OP would be crazy to expect customer service from the FFL when the FFL didn't sell the gun.
Did not catch that. So, he ordered something online and had the LGS do transfer and the LGS had the same model on the wall? Yeah, that’s only gonna piss the guy off.

Did not catch that. So, he ordered something online and had the LGS do transfer and the LGS had the same model on the wall? Yeah, that’s only gonna piss the guy off.
DOH!! OP was lucky the guy didn't laugh him out of the store.

Any chance it is the wrong mag?

OPs experience was with an FFL doing a transfer - didn't buy the gun from the FFL. OP would be crazy to expect customer service from the FFL when the FFL didn't sell the gun.
Damn, I missed that part.

did I read the op wrong. he bought a gun online? had it shipped in, and expected the transferring dealer to replace the defective gun? nooooo, bad form. the beef is with the selling ffl and I still doubt he'd take it back.

Did I miss the part where he had a couple on the shelf available? I assumed (ya I know) the FFL dealer and transfer were the same transaction. Not a transfer but I could be all wet.

Driving 60 miles one way has me scratching my head unless you live in the sticks like me but even from here I can hit a few shops closer than that but not by much to be honest.

Last edited:
Why would someone drive 60 miles to transfer a gun? The impression im getting was that he drove there to buy the gun. Guessing this shop was the closest who had what he wanted... or maybe im misunderstanding as well.

Yeah, I think the OP needs to clarify. Did you buy the gun from the shop in Rehoboth or did you have it shipped there and they did the transfer?

Just jumping back on the PC this AM. Saw a gun on armslist, contacted the FFL. The FFL had bought 10 of the guns direct from the MFG. Had 8 other customers on a waitlist for them. He had 2 left over. He put the other two on Armslist. Drove far because I haven't seen them around here. So he did not order the gun for me.

Holding off on listing the gun and manufacturer. Legal in MA, but I'm sure there will be a few dozen people on wanting to split hairs about this and I don't want to get into the back and fourth about that.

Last edited:
The problem is between you and the individual seller/manufacturer. You were basically asking the FFL to take a used gun with a problem in exchange for a new one…

Looked on-line and saw that I might have to file down the mag catch as it might not be grabbing the magazine. Not wild about doing this on an expensive gun. But I"d rather it work than be an expesive paperwieght.

This is not a complicated problem. Send it back to factory for repairs.

You thinking you can file things down to fix it is insane given it can and will be fixed for free less shipping.

I would suspect the magazines before I fiddle with the pistol. When assembled, they would have a dummy, shop or gauge magazine to test before shipping. I can't imagine a pistol being test fired at the factory with a magazine that doesn't latch. On the other hand, magazines are machine produced and the tooling could get out of adjustment.

Just jumping back on the PC this AM. Saw a gun on armslist, contacted the FFL. The FFL had bought 10 of the guns direct from the MFG. Had 8 other customers on a waitlist for them. He had 2 left over. He put the other two on Armslist. Drove far because I haven't seen them around here. So he did not order the gun for me.

Holding off on listing the gun and manufacturer. Legal in MA, but I'm sure there will be a few dozen people on wanting to split hairs about this and I don't want to get into the back and fourth about that.

A simple "I bought the gun from the guy" or "I didn't buy it from him" would have sufficed. Your original post was unclear as to whether you bought it from the FFL in Rehoboth or whether you had it shipped there and had them do the transfer. If you shipped it and he did the transfer, it would be laughable to think he'd exchange it. If you bought it from him directly, then unfortunately it's a situation where you have to go back to the manufacturer which is standard industry practice for multiple reasons posted (which kinda suck, but it is what it is).

Sounds like you are a quirky fella. But I wish you well with the deviant gun and hope you get it fixed.

Sounds like the first few guys in had the pick of the litter. This is why we find a good FFL and support them.

(edit): I'm sure that's not the case here, and its a matter of having good quality control at S&W.
-Years ago when a bunch of the same models came in at once, I've been told stories how
there would be two 1911's with better triggers, and they would set them aside for themselves ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like the first few guys in had the pick of the litter. This is why we find a good FFL and support them.
If that is the case and the FFL is purposely selling a shit gun then they should be outed. Of course we don't know if that is the case. I think far to often people make excuses for bad behavior. I often ask myself is that something i would do. 99% of the time if i have to ask, i already know the answer is no. That being said there is one shop in that area that i know of and have done lots of business with them and would be shocked if he was the one in question here. I also don't believe he does anything on armslist.

I know, made the same mistake too. Got a brand new handgun from a place I have a good relationship with. Guy even got a brand new one still in the wrapping from the back. Looked at it closer at home, and it had some tooling marks and scratches, I was told I should never have accepted it, etc. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. Stinks, and I thought I'd be fine getting a BNIB one, but it happens. I feel you, kind of annoying.
Many yeras ago (under previous ownership) I went with a new shooter to Collectors Coin Gallery where he was going to buy a 1911 since the ink had just dried on his LTC. We and I looked the gun, and I asked the owner "I want to inspect this for defects, do you mind if I field strip it or would you prefer to?" The response was "That gun is not getting field stripped until it is paid for".

I asked "what about if there is a tooling mark or defect?" ... "That would be your problem as we would no longer own the gun, but we would send it back to the factory for warranty service for you".

Never went back to that shop.

As you get more experience, you get better at spotting defects on new or used guns. For example, never buy a used handgun without having the seller take off the grips. I've seen used guns that look 90%+ and were impeccably maintained - except the owner never took the grips off for cleaning resulting in unseen corrosion. I was helping someone with a used gun buy at a shop based on a listing, and that owner was very helpful and sent us photos of both side of the guns with grips removed and were able to proceed with the buy.

Unless the FFL is a gunsmith, I agree with the FFL that you should inquire with the manufacturer on the issue and get favorable resolution from them. Eliminate the FFL as the middle man. It’s unreasonable to buy it new, and expect the FFL to take it back and replace with another. Now the FFL would have a preowned firearm on their hands with an issue that they now have to resolve with the manufacturer. The FFL didn’t make it. It’s not like a car you bought new from a dealer that has a service dept.

Many yeras ago (under previous ownership) I went with a new shooter to Collectors Coin Gallery where he was going to buy a 1911 since the ink had just dried on his LTC. We and I looked the gun, and I asked the owner "I want to inspect this for defects, do you mind if I field strip it or would you prefer to?" The response was "That gun is not getting field stripped until it is paid for".

I asked "what about if there is a tooling mark or defect?" ... "That would be your problem as we would no longer own the gun, but we would send it back to the factory for warranty service for you".

Never went back to that shop.

As you get more experience, you get better at spotting defects on new or used guns. For example, never buy a used handgun without having the seller take off the grips. I've seen used guns that look 90%+ and were impeccably maintained - except the owner never took the grips off for cleaning resulting in unseen corrosion. I was helping someone with a used gun buy at a shop based on a listing, and that owner was very helpful and sent us photos of both side of the guns with grips removed and were able to proceed with the buy.
Im not sure I want anyone tearing down a new gun ?
What if you f*** it up?
Then what.
For as long as I can remember when buying new guns any issues where on the manufacture.
The level of service or support from the FFL is on the FFL.
I bought a new ruger mkIII from 4 seasons, had issues with it.
I called 4 seasons to see if they where aware of any known issues.
Carl told me to contact Ruger and get a Return going, then offered to do it for me if needed.
I called Ruger and they handled it.

I'm not sure I want anyone tearing down a new gun? What if you f*** it up? Then what?
Yep. That's the other side of the coin. Rob may be able to flawlessly disassemble and reassemble a 1911 blindfolded without so much as leaving a fingerprint... but I'll bet that some other curious customers are not nearly so skilled. [laugh] In fact, I've witnessed it on guns I was mildly interested in... and ran away fast. :oops:

Yep. That's the other side of the coin. Rob may be able to flawlessly disassemble and reassemble a 1911 blindfolded without so much as leaving a fingerprint... but I'll bet that some other curious customers are not nearly so skilled. [laugh] In fact, I've witnessed it on guns I was mildly interested in... and ran away fast. :oops:
Agreed, which is why I asked the shop owner "May I field strip this or would you prefer to?". The issue was not offense at them not trusting my skills, but at not allowing a complete pre-purchase inspection, using the professional's expertise to prevent any handling damage.

Agreed, which is why I asked the shop owner "May I field strip this or would you prefer to?". The issue was not offense at them not trusting my skills, but at not allowing a complete pre-purchase inspection, using the professional's expertise to prevent any handling damage.
You give a lot more credit to some gun shop clerks than I do. Not all, but enough so that I know not to ask them for a field stripping to take a look. Can you say "flying and dropped" gun parts? :oops:

Used guns are another matter. All depends on the shop and the particular gun, but I am not buying anything these days showing any visible or functional signs of abuse or wear. Some get disassembled... some do not. 🤔

The least the dealer could of done was to offer to send it back for him. In the past I was a part time FFL dealer for about 25 years and mostly sold at gun shows. I only had 0ne problem with a new gun not functioning correctly. Buyer called me and I explained that I would be at a show in 2 weeks and to bring it in I would take care of sending it back. That customer later purchase 2 more guns from me in 8 months. A little customer service goes a long way.

The least the dealer could of done was to offer to send it back for him. In the past I was a part time FFL dealer for about 25 years and mostly sold at gun shows. I only had 0ne problem with a new gun not functioning correctly. Buyer called me and I explained that I would be at a show in 2 weeks and to bring it in I would take care of sending it back. That customer later purchase 2 more guns from me in 8 months. A little customer service goes a long way.
I’d remember that experience and react in kind.

Used gun sure , new gun I would respect a NO from the FFL

Back
Top Bottom