• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom Size Wadcutter From Any Mould

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Somewhere on the castboolits forum I read about someone doing this. I believe it was Larry Gibson offering an alternative in a thread on 45/70 collar buttons or round balls.
Either way it’s a pretty cool and simple idea.

Place a gas check into the driving band of a mould half. Close the mould.
Now pour your bullet.

You can customize a smaller wadcutter from any mould this way. I imaging if the gas check is placed upside down that you could basically just use it as a spacer and re use it again. Or place it right side up and you have your gas check already seated onto your new wadcutter.

Why you ask? Why not? I’m going to mess with this to make some 458” wadcutters to play with in my 45/70s.

Seen here with a Lyman 358495 mould and hot glue (lead was cold by the time I remembered to try this)

Attachments

• 385EA32E-3272-4A95-8E31-C6A9F7D8BA8C.jpeg
    385EA32E-3272-4A95-8E31-C6A9F7D8BA8C.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 53
If you use the Sinterfire frangibles in your revolver, often you will get two shots in one as the bullet fractures into two pieces. One large crisp hole and a typical hole from the rounded nose of the bullet.

Way way back we used to shoot 38spl wax bullets with just a primer out of a POS 4" revolver want to say IIRC it was a SW 36 clone ...had a zinc alloy receiver ?? My dad melted wax into tray about 1\4" thick or so and we just cookie cut the case into the wax twisted and pulled out. They made holes in the paper at 30 feet and did a heck of a job knocking down GI Joe and other villainous plastic

Back
Top Bottom