• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom Kydex IWB Holster Design 1

Hey Guys,

By now I'm sure you've seen Hanwei and Underwhere's great designs for the pocket and OWB holsters made out of kydex. Having been working on an IWB design, I figured I would share some experiences in the event you want to try and make your own.

Supplies:
12x24 sheet of .6 kydex from knifekits.com
.6 Rivets and hand rivet set kit
Chicago screws
Belt loops (I chose to use the ones from Comp-tac these because they are sturdy, thick, and also drilled for multiple settings. You can use other designs (including leather) or make your own.

Equipment:
Scrollsaw (or bandsaw or even a hand coping saw will work. I would not use a jig saw)
Dremel
Heat Gun
Drill and bits
Sander (I used my 90' air sander with different grits only b/c I had it and I hate sanding. Sandpaper, sponge, or anything else will work)
Razor Blade
Ruler

Instructions:

First I made my press. You can buy a press or make your own very easily. I started with 2 12" square pieces of 3/4 plywood. I then cut strips off my wife's yoga mat (don't tell her) and used spray glue to attach 2 pieces to each piece of plywood. Then I attached 1 piece of 1 1/2" thick foam to each board. It looks like this:
press..jpg

Now that the press was done I pre-heated my oven to 300` I cut 2 8x12" kydex strips with the razor blade and snapped them off. Then I placed them on baking sheets w/ tinfoil underneath and into the oven for 5 min. While they were heating up I set 1 piece of the press on the floor and figured out how I would orient the gun. I also taped a pencil on the top of the gun over the sights. When the kydex forms, I found that the pencil helps leave plenty of space for the sights to clear - even when you have to bend the sides. Once the timer went off I took 1 sheet out, placed in on the foam, set my gun, put the other piece of kydex on top and added the top of the press. Then you stand on it (can't be easier than that). Stay standing on the press for 3-4 minutes. The end result is the gun is completely covered in kydex (top to bottom). The kydex form will still be plyable at this point so gently start to shape the wings. Once it was completely cool I separated one side and removed the gun. Next step is to draw out the design with a pencil. I went for a high ride in the back so that the gun wouldn't be directly on my skin.

From here I took the whole thing to the scrollsaw. Following my pencil marks I cut the whole holster out using the high ride pattern. I also opted to cut the rear side on an angle upwards which you can see in the pictures. The reason I did this was I found through trial and error that the more I could remove from the rear side, the less it interfers with taking my wallet out of my back pocket. Once Now that I had my rough shape, I decided where the front side would be cut and used the dremel for that task. I found that leaving some of the trigger guard exposed offered the opportunity to get a positive grip on the gun when drawing.

Next come the rivets. Using a 3/16 drill bit, I made holes all around the outside. One thing to note here: I would not set a rivet closer than an 1-1.5" from the top opening. I found that if you do it creates too much tension and drawing suffers. The kydex needs to flex and open a bit when taking the gun out and it can't move with rivets any closer. Oh, I'll also mention how to use the hand setting kit. The kit has 2 parts, the punch and a little coin. The rivet has 2 ends - one already curled and one straight. The coin is used on the straight end for best results. Once the holster is riveted then you decide where you want the belt loops. I found that the top of the belt loops should make a line right across the trigger guard. This seems to provide just the right ride height for me. Drill the holes and use the chicago screws to set the loops.

Final step is to use the heat gun to shape the wings accordingly. I went with a really wide design both for better weight distribution and so that it didn't interfere with my wallet. Sand all the edges and you are done. Its really not that bad to do.

My next design will incorporate some leather for the wings and to hold the belt loops. I think this will make it much easier as shaping the kydex wings to fit the body is a PIA.

Here is my end result. Its super comfortable and holds the gun great.

back.jpg

front2.jpg

top.jpg

Attachments

• front1..jpg
    front1..jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 21
  • back..jpg
    back..jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • top..jpg
    top..jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 18
  • front2..jpg
    front2..jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Nice write up!

My brother and I make ours in very much the same way. Except we use a vice and wood clamps for the press.

One thing I'd mention to people who want to try this... the thicker the foam you use in your press the deeper the kydex molds around your gun. I think the foam we use is ~ 1.5" thick (we actually ordered the foam with our materials from here: http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=2010)... So if we want a light mold... we don't press as hard... but if we want a deep mold we just clamp down tightly. Anyway... something to consider [grin]

Jeez... we should have a holster making contest or something [wink] I don't know what would make someone win... but it'd be great to see everyone trying their hand at making holsters ... if anything just to see all of the cool designs people come up with [grin]

Which chicago screws do you recommend for the comp-tac style clips? Does it matter?

Let me take a day or two to get back to you on that one. I used the .400 but they are way too long. If you look in the second pic I had to put nylon washers in there to take up the slack. I've got the .250's in route but won't know if they are right ones until I get them.

First try went ok... of course I think my first attempt was something far more complex than it should have been - mag and cuff case combo.

Has anyone tried vacuum forming kydex yet? I think I'm going to build a quick vacuum mold and see what happens with the .06" stuff. I think the thicker stuff would be TOO thick for a DIY vacuum mold, though. Thoughts?

First try went ok... of course I think my first attempt was something far more complex than it should have been - mag and cuff case combo.

Has anyone tried vacuum forming kydex yet? I think I'm going to build a quick vacuum mold and see what happens with the .06" stuff. I think the thicker stuff would be TOO thick for a DIY vacuum mold, though. Thoughts?

It doesn't take that much pressure to set the .6 stuff so it could work. To be honest, not sure if it would be worth the extra effort given the use of a press is so simple but what the hell - let us know how it works out.

Pics?! [smile]

Gave the vacuum mold a whirl today. As I suspected, the kydex is just too thick for a DIY vac mold. It does work, quite well for how basic it is, but it just can't do what I was hoping it could. I haven't tried it with a firearm yet, but may in the future. It wouldn't suck down the area in between the mag and cuffs, which is what I was hoping to accomplish with it. I'll try to post pics later today. Next project is individual mag and cuff holders, both with tec-lock belt mounts. After that, assuming I have enough kydex, I'm going to try my M&P45 with Surefire X300 mounted on it. Definitely a fun little project. My recommendation for anyone thinking of ordering is to order more kydex than you think you'll need. There's a bit of a learning curve, more so than I had anticipated, so you're bound to botch some kydex sheets, but you pick it up quickly.

Has anyone tried to use leather on the inside and if so how does it fit/attach. a side thought would using a thinner foam on the body side of the holster keep it more "comfortable"?.

Back
Top Bottom