• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom cut foam for rifle case?

Does anybody local to the northshore of mass. do custom cutting of foam for rifle cases?
Yes, I know it's not hard and I could do it myself but I would rather have someone else do it.
Any suggestions as to where I could get it done?

the pick pluck stuff is easy but doesn't look as good. I came up with a really easy way to make custom cut foam for cases. Buy or borrow a wood burning pen. Trace out what you want to sink into the foam. Then use the wood burning pen to cut into the foam. It coderizes (spelling) the foam as you go so you don't get flaking like hacking at it with a razor blade.

I know you don't want to do it yourself, but if you can't find someone try this. Lay the gun on the foam and trace it out with chalk. Cut to the inside of the chalk mark with an electric carving knife. It will cut nice and smooth.

dont use chalk.

make a template of the gun with card stock (i buy it @ staples...the white project boards they sell for kids school projects.

make a template, cut it out, use pins to hold it to the foam, and I built a hot-wire foam cutter that works REALLY well.

old one, (i don't use it anymore), but you get the idea

riflecase.jpg

(if you want, I can help you cut out your foam, but the actual cutting is up to you)

(I have 5 or 6 more pieces of foam for the pelican cases too...if you wanted to make a few)

built one similar to the setup on arfcom.

foamcutter.jpg

the xmfr's are getting tricky to find. heat controlled by a dimmer switch. noticed a BIG improvement when I went to ni-chrome wire.

same offer applies Jim. You're welcome to use it. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. bring a case, foam, and your 6.8SPC brass.

dont use chalk.

make a template of the gun with card stock (i buy it @ staples...the white project boards they sell for kids school projects.

make a template, cut it out, use pins to hold it to the foam, and I built a hot-wire foam cutter that works REALLY well.

old one, (i don't use it anymore), but you get the idea

(if you want, I can help you cut out your foam, but the actual cutting is up to you)

(I have 5 or 6 more pieces of foam for the pelican cases too...if you wanted to make a few)

Jasper, my case is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I might just take you up on your very generous offer. I'll let you know after I see what I've got.

Try an electric carving knife (~$25 shipped online). Go a head and laugh, but that is what an acoustical foam mfg on the North Shore told us to use to cut the 16" thick foam we used to line a room. It doesn't take much practice to be able to cut all kinds of shapes in short period of time. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom