• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

custom building a 1911

Hey guys, I just pruchased my first 1911 this week....a sw1911....i love this gun so much and the internals in it are so amazing i would like to attempt to build my own....any suggestions on where to get started....such as kits that don't require massive amounts of smithing.......i'd like to build a decent one (not a piece of crap) but not an expensive one.
Is this something i could do myself as an amateur? any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Building a 1911 is more technically demanding than putting together an AR15 from parts. The trickier parts of the process include fitting the frame to the slide, the barrel to the slide, and the lower barrel lugs (do that wrong and you'll have a gun with a tight lockup that eventually eggs out the slide stop hole in the frame). You can shortcut some of these processed by getting match slide/frame kits from places like Remsport or Caspian.

Last edited:
I found the AGI and Wilson videos very helpful - step by step how to fitting. The Kuhnhausen manual does a great job describing spec and function - but the leap to how do you fit the parts to get them to function it lacks somewhat.

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Custom...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268400109&sr=8-3

www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=2

I would agree with the above - the barrel fitting process is critical and tricky. Remsport will sell you a kit with the barrel already fit, then you can play with the slide and internals all you want. I think that is a good way to start. When you have completed the kit sans barrel fitting, you will become a little more comfortable with the materials used, the tools, the techniques and generally become more familiar with the whole process. Then I would recommend going to a complete build if your up for it. YMMV - its lots of fun and very satisfying and you will learn a ton! GOOD LUCK.

I've done a few of them and the real trick to it is getting the hardest parts done before you even get the gun.

I always order them this way. Frame, slide and barrel fitted with ejector and plunger tube already staked. The pistol will come with a barrel bushing already fitted if you order this way.

Make sure you order a frame that will allow a Ed Brown Beaver tail to drop in. There's a lot of new offers out there for parts kits from some great companies.

I just used a Fusion firearms, firing system that was great for $95.00 and it came with a competion trigger, sear spring, hammer, sear, disconnect, strut, main spring housing spring and pins. That right there was a bargain Most companies don't include the trigger so I saved about $80 and got a free $35 trigger.

Half the fun is finding and picking out parts.

Call us we can put together a complete kit with a fitted slide and frame fitted barrel and bushing and the plunger tube and ejector installed.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

I've done a few of them and the real trick to it is getting the hardest parts done before you even get the gun.

I always order them this way. Frame, slide and barrel fitted with ejector and plunger tube already staked. The pistol will come with a barrel bushing already fitted if you order this way.

Make sure you order a frame that will allow a Ed Brown Beaver tail to drop in. There's a lot of new offers out there for parts kits from some great companies.

I just used a Fusion firearms, firing system that was great for $95.00 and it came with a competion trigger, sear spring, hammer, sear, disconnect, strut, main spring housing spring and pins. That right there was a bargain Most companies don't include the trigger so I saved about $80 and got a free $35 trigger.

Half the fun is finding and picking out parts.

If you go this route you are not building a custom 1911, you are simply assembling one.

You might want to take this from a different direction.. If you can find some sort of complete 1911 that currently works, take that strip it all apart and redo all the internals with high grade parts. A step closer to doing a ground up build.

If you go this route you are not building a custom 1911, you are simply assembling one.

+1
I'm sure those bulids are better than what you can buy over the counter in most cases but I think you will miss some of the finer qualities of a true custom built 1911 by going "pre-fit" and "drop-in" as opposed to gunsmith fit. What really makes a custom 1911 is that there are processes going into the build, like hand lapping the slide, polishing here and there, fitting the hammer/sear to that specific frame's geometry, etc, that are just not cost effective for any sort of factory to do in great numbers, and you'll see it in the end product of your "build". So unless you are paying pretty big money for these sets, you're likely missing some of these attributes that really differentiate customs from factory. Nothing wrong with it, just keep it in mind when weighing your options.

Do the Remsport frame/slide/barrel sets start from oversized components? What manner do they get fit (milled, surface ground, lapped)? I'd consider getting one to play with but would want to know how far along they come and how they were done.

I hand fit and then hand lap all frames and slides. I fit all barrels and bushings from oversized parts and finish chambering. I also debur the frame before fitting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom