• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom 1911

So my girlfriend says she would never own a gun with the exception of a 1911. She wants it chromed with white pearl grips and engraving on the slide. Are there places out there where I can have this done?

So my girlfriend says she would never own a gun with the exception of a 1911. She wants it chromed with white pearl grips and engraving on the slide. Are there places out there where I can have this done?

Why chrome and not just polished stainless? Shiny chroming is kinda pointless as a gun finish. Just buy any 1911, polish it up, and put some grips on it.

ETA: I don't think you can engrave a gun and have it chromed, either, especially not if you want to preserve the look of the engraving/scrollwork.

I know S+W will engrave guns at the factory.... it is expensive though and takes a long time, depending on what you want done to it.

-Mike

Why chrome and not just polished stainless? Shiny chroming is kinda pointless as a gun finish. Just buy any 1911, polish it up, and put some grips on it.

ETA: I don't think you can engrave a gun and have it chromed, either, especially not if you want to preserve the look of the engraving/scrollwork.

I know S+W will engrave guns at the factory.... it is expensive though and takes a long time, depending on what you want done to it.

-Mike

Stainless would work. Are there other places besides Smith?

Stainless would work. Are there other places besides Smith?

For engraving? Lately I've seen these guys at NH gun shows that have a booth set up, I wonder if they'll be in Manchester.... some of the work they had on display looked pretty nice....

-Mike

Hard Chrome (which is not shiny bumper chrome) has alot of uses on a gun. It's reasonably corrosion resistant, it's really hard, and is somewhat slick as well. If you don't mind the fact that it's bright, it's a superior finish to bluing in most respects. If I get a 9mm 1911 competition gun (which color does not matter on), it may well be hard chromed.

ETA: Shiny is relative. Even matte industrial hard chrome is pretty shiny by my standards. I also assume the brighter it is, the less durable it is, in the same way bluing is.

People also hard-chrome engraved guns just fine. I'm not sure why it would be an issue. See, for example:

nh-masters_7_xl.jpg

The proper way to do this is to find a gunsmith, local or otherwise, and custom order it. How much money are you looking to spend? If you're looking for a custom shiny, engraved, pearl griped 1911, money better be pretty much no object.

ETA: I guess you could get a factory 1911, have it engraved and then have it hard-chromed. Seems a little like putting lipstick on a pig, though. I do not know if the engravers would have to know it was getting chromed ahead of time.

Last edited:

-Mike

I think the doctor has the best idea if you're looking for easy way out. Have S&W do the work and just scout around for some pearl grips.

So, how long have you and General Patton been dating?[grin]

Has she ever fired a 1911?

http://www.grengraving.com/ Gary Richards of Texas did one for me last summer, top notch. His work and his 1911's are unreal I'll be sending another one some day soon. He did exactly what I wanted and knows how to run a business. check out his site he does nice stuff!

How about nickel finish? needs some shining but looks sweaty![grin] Watched that movie Four Brothers and when Mark Wahlberg walked across the snow covered lake with that shiny .45 in his hand i knew i had to have one them bad larrys!

Attachments

• 1911's showing triggers and magwells 003.jpg
    1911's showing triggers and magwells 003.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I you don't mind spending $2.5-$3K for the base gun, plus engraving, the folks at Infinity can make arrangements with an engraver. this is a wide body, but they also make traditional 1911s.

171.jpg

169.jpg

168.jpg

167.jpg

166.jpg

165.jpg

I'd ping Remsport Mfg on this forum. He posts in the dealer classifieds about custom 1911 frames from time to time; I get tempted every time. ;)

+1 on this. I have seen his polished stainless 1911 and they are awesome. Not sure if he can do the engraving though

Back
Top Bottom