• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Current SPBI Backlog and resident pistol permit wait times

I was told by the SPBI that they are taking about 12 weeks to return background checks given their current backlog. For those of you who have applied for permits in the last few months, what have your wait times been? I'm curious if towns are issuing temporary permits without the background check results, or if everyone is experiencing longer wait times.

92 days here. West Hartford. I've been told they will not issue the temp permit without the info back, and it could be another "month or two."

A few weeks ago, the state said they started working on background checks from December. Based on that, it doesn't seem like you will have to wait much longer, assuming your local PD issues your permit soon after receiving it from the state. I'm only at 2 months, so it looks like I still have a ways to go.

Depending on what town you are from and their status re 2A issues. You may want to remind the PD of their statutory requirement as far as PP responses.

Also, you may want to remind them that they do not need to wait for a response and with a little basic police work, they could fignure things out themselves.
I've had this work for students of mine in gun friendly towns when the applicant had lived there for a long time. In one case, the licensing officer called the Vice Principal of the high school in town, who told him that the applicant was a good kid and never made any trouble.

There was a licensing officer in Windsor named Tom LePore who would turn PP applications around within 2 weeks because he considered it his professional obligation to work the as diligently as any other part of his job.

If he didn't get a response in a timely manner, he would issue the PP anyway per CT law. When I asked him about that, his answer was that with all the databases available to police these days, it doesn't take long to 1) confirm the applicant is who they say they are 2) Check for any criminal records that would make them a prohibited person.

It was a sad day when he was promoted to Captain. He's a good guy and a great cop. He has told me that the guy who replaced him is continuing his practice of quick and efficient PP application processing.

Thanks for the advice. The officer I spoke to didn't seem to be aware of the statutes and said that they were going to wait for the background check. I feel like at this point, I will only make things worse by being persistent. I probably will give my local PD a call back in about a month.

Day 108, was politely asked to stop calling local pd. Was informed that I could file the appeal if I wanted, but that it wouldn't speed anything up. Haven't done it yet, mostly out of pure laziness.

Thanks. Got to Middletown this morning... Only 2 people in line, pay, photo.... Aaaand.... The system is down, they can't issue permits, and they will mail them out next week. Argh!

Wow, you really aren't catching any breaks. What a frustrating process.

Well... I caught one, I decided to wait for a while and ask if the system came back up.... And it did! Now the proud owner of two new firearms (100 plus days to save is a silver lining!) and just got back from the range after some practice with a new ccw revolver/back up.

Thanks. Got to Middletown this morning... Only 2 people in line, pay, photo.... Aaaand.... The system is down, they can't issue permits, and they will mail them out next week. Argh!

Were they allowing people to hold onto their temporary permits for carry purposes? Or would the individuals who were waiting for the plastic permits to be printed effectively be forced to wait until the mail arrived to again be able to carry?

Sorry, I don't know the answer for that one. It all worked out, and I didn't stuck around waiting for something else to go wrong.

Were they allowing people to hold onto their temporary permits for carry purposes? Or would the individuals who were waiting for the plastic permits to be printed effectively be forced to wait until the mail arrived to again be able to carry?

Do you have any reason to believe that you can't carry on a temp?

I haven't researched it, but it was my belief that you could.

Don

Do you have any reason to believe that you can't carry on a temp?

I haven't researched it, but it was my belief that you could.

Don
I know for fact that you can. I believe that you're misreading my post (or maybe my wording wasn't clear enough).

I was questioning whether they were allowing people who were trading in their temp permits for a renewable permit to keep the temp permit to allow them to continue carrying while awaiting receipt of the mailed renewable permit. (hence my use of the word again in the last line)

If they weren't allowing people to retain the temp permit (my experience was that they collected it when I got my renewable permit), then an individual would be in a position in which they effectively could not carry until receiving the renewable permit in the mail sometime later (since they wouldn't have the permit- temp or full- on their person as required by 29-35(b).

Got it.

Thank you for clarification.

Let me play devil's advocate.

If you continued to carry, in my eye, you would not be in violation of 29-35(b) because you still possess a valid pistol permit. (the temp).

By my read 29-35(b) has to do with carrying if you don't have a valid permit.

In this case, you would have a valid permit, you just wouldn't actually possess the physical card.

There is a big difference between not having a valid permit, and not having the actual card.

I have first hand experience that this is a non-criminal infraction.

;-)

Don

Got it.

Thank you for clarification.

Let me play devil's advocate.

If you continued to carry, in my eye, you would not be in violation of 29-35(b) because you still possess a valid pistol permit. (the temp).

By my read 29-35(b) has to do with carrying if you don't have a valid permit.

In this case, you would have a valid permit, you just wouldn't actually possess the physical card.

There is a big difference between not having a valid permit, and not having the actual card.

I have first hand experience that this is a non-criminal infraction.

;-)

Don

29-35(a), which is the felony charge (Carrying a pistol w/o a permit), has to do not having a valid permit. Obviously that wouldn't apply.

29-35(b) is a an infraction as you mention. The elements of that infraction are very simple:
(1) That the individual holds a valid pistol permit pursuant to 29-28
AND
(2) The individual was not carrying the permit upon his or her person
AND
(3) The individual was carrying a pistol/revolver upon his or her person.
[All three elements must be proven to convict. In trials related to infractions and violations, the burden of proof is preponderance of the evidence.]

Since the individual does not have the physical card, it would be impossible for them to have it on their person as the statute compels.

Thank you. I read (A) and thought that was what you were talking about.

So to boil it all down. If the DESPP takes your temp when they begin the issuing process for a normal PP, you should not hesitate to carry. Since you still have a valid PP, you would only be committing a non-criminal offense if you were ever caught.

I realize that as an officer of the court, you maybe can't recommend breaking the law, no matter how trivial. But that's what I'm going with.

Don

I realize that as an officer of the court, you maybe can't recommend breaking the law, no matter how trivial.

To ensure that everybody is clear, I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY. To avoid overstepping that boundary, that's why my posts are always more general/educational/informational in nature (as opposed to advice or encouragement). Additionally, I am not a law enforcement officer or otherwise involved in the legal system.

I filed for mine feb 13th and haven't heard nothing back from my resident trooper in Lisbon. I tried calling goes right to voicemail and have left messages but no calls have been returned. I applied for a permit in Maine since we have a location there and it took 3 weeks for that to come in. The state didn't hesitate to take out my money for the permit in march but here we are June and nothing.

I handed all the paperwork in to the first selectman in Harwinton on 6/1. The people at the town hall and the resident state trooper were extremely polite and they told me it would take at least 2-3 months. The trooper even gave me a bunch of advice for what day and time to get my state permit so I won't have to wait in line. The waiting game begins.

I just called the identification Dept and they just informed me that my prints were rejected in march and that they notified the resident trooper and sent a rejection letter for my prints and that they needed new ones. And here we are in June and I was never notified about this by the useless trooper we have. This is a damn joke to this guy apparently I picked the wrong town to buy a house. I contacted my first selectman about this.

It has been a month so far since my wife handed in her paperwork in Thompson. No call yet. I think mine was 4 weeks on the dot back in Oct, 2015.

I got the call that my temp permit is ready in Harwinton on 7/10. It took just 39 days from fingerprinting on 6/1. Not bad [grin]

So after redoing my prints I called last Thursday and they informed me that my background was processed and that my resident trooper was emailed . I called him right after I got off the phone with them and he said he got the email but couldn't see the email on his phone so he would call me the next day. No phone call yet from him so I'm waiting again because apparently I haven't waited long enough. Keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom