Current NFA regulations

I know that the ATF have, or are going to make changes to the process of obtaining a Tax Stamp for NFA items.

As an INDIVIDUAL (no trust) what are the CURRENT steps? Passport photo, Fingerprint cards, and just a letter of intent to my local CLEO correct? Obviously Uncle Sams $200 check but am I missing anything?

In a few days the regs change. There are 2 significant changes and Trusts may NOT be the way to go for some people.

1) No LE signoff - previously this was THE reason for doing a trust for many people, since their CLEO wouldn't sign. Although there are many other benefits.
2) Even a trust needs to do fingerprints now.

So here's the bottom line. I don't know the exact date but if you have a trust, it might be worth trying to get a Form 4 in now.

However, if you do not have a trust. (as the OP stated) its probably worth waiting for the change since you won't need to gently cup your CLEO's scrotum in your hand and ask permission.

Don

In a few days the regs change. There are 2 significant changes and Trusts may NOT be the way to go for some people.

1) No LE signoff - previously this was THE reason for doing a trust for many people, since their CLEO wouldn't sign. Although there are many other benefits.
2) Even a trust needs to do fingerprints now.

So here's the bottom line. I don't know the exact date but if you have a trust, it might be worth trying to get a Form 4 in now.

However, if you do not have a trust. (as the OP stated) its probably worth waiting for the change since you won't need to gently cup your CLEO's scrotum in your hand and ask permission.

Don

IIRC, Tuesday July 12th is the deadline to have a form postmarked for that application to not be governed under the new rules.

Letter notifying CLEO is after July 13th. CLEO's Signature of approval is prior to July 13th

Right. Notification is hugely different from asking for approval.

When I filed my first Form 7 to get my first FFL, I sent a copy to my CLEO per regulations. It was a small town, Essex, CT, and they had a resident trooper. I sent my notification to the First Selectman because he's the CLEO per CT statute. A couple of days after i sent the form, I got a call from a trooper who said the 1st Selectman had passed it on to him and asked him to discuss with me. I obliged.

When we sat down, he indicated that he would like to talk to me before approving this. I gently and politely informed the trooper that I did not need his approval, I did not need his signature. I did not even need to oblige his request to sit down with me. That I was there as a courtesy to him since he should have an understanding of the business I would be doing as well as the fact that ist always nice to meet the town's only gun seller in person.

He laughed and said that the selectman had told him he needed to review this before he could approve. The trooper had taken the selectman at his word. We had a good laugh, talked guns for 30 minutes while drinking coffee, shook hands and parted ways.

So again. Notification is you TELLING the po po what you have already done. No scrotum cupping necessary.

Don

Back
Top Bottom