Currency after SHTF

not needed if you know what you are doing

exactly. most people don't know what they're doing. Those who do understand the convenience.

They're easily transportable in either small or large quantities, have intrinsic value, and double as a convenience item. Are also easily divisible. Perfect currency.

A lot more people are silver bugs than you know,I know a few people who have business that sell stuff that will def be hot items when Shtf. Junk silver, 1/10 1/4's and halves will probably get you further than you think.

Last edited:
More likely than SHTF as SSHTF (Semi SHTF) scenarios, where there is temporary disruption to power and or communications, but everyone expects things to eventually get back to normal. In that case, checks, credit cards and debit cards may be useless with cash being the only recognized medium of exchange.

If you are in a crisis like the current NY/NJ situation, small businesses may be willing to take your eagles or pre-64 coin at market (or, since you would be a motivated buyer, at a discount below market). If you go to some store where you are not dealing with an owner (think you local Shaws), you may find it hard to have a silver liberty accepted for $30 of groceries, but a $20 and a $10 would be accepted, and recognized at face value.

So in addition to silver and gold to buy food and brine technicals at checkpoints, keep some good old fashioned cash handy if you are one of these people who does everything by debit card.

You are all wrong! Big screen TV is the most important thing to have post SHTF.

looting_haiti-300x255.jpg

agree there is nothing better but it can be done without one, but on that I think I am preaching to the choir

I think it's important to remember if SHTF you're not surrounded by Rambos, Bear Grylls or Les Strouds. Hell, not even NES keyboard commandos. Most people haven't the slightest clue how to light a fire with matches or a lighter, let alone with fire steel or a bow drill.

Honestly, my wife and I are Cub Scout den leaders. The vast majority of parents cannot light a campfire with a box of matches. I'm dead serious.

Honestly, my wife and I are Cub Scout den leaders. The vast majority of parents cannot light a campfire with a box of matches. I'm dead serious.

This.

And the people who've only ever read about it on the interwebs have a really hard time, too.

Knowledge and skills will also be a valuable commodities. Not typically what we think of when people talk of "currency" but what will it be worth to have someone reduce a dislocation or set a fracture, deliver your baby, or fix a tool or machine or repair your house.

Of course lead, silver, gold, food, etc will all have some level of intrinsic value that will vary depending on the situation and whatever trends take place in this hypothetical post SHTF economy.

Being able to trade knowledge skills and talent amongst your immediate community will also serve you well.

I think it's important to remember if SHTF you're not surrounded by Rambos, Bear Grylls or Les Strouds. Hell, not even NES keyboard commandos. Most people haven't the slightest clue how to light a fire with matches or a lighter, let alone with fire steel or a bow drill.

and that is why so many will die. if SHTF and I mean really not Hurricane Sandy type a lot of people will die, people will be killed so others can take their stuff. people will have their stuff taken and be left to die.

Booze...learn to make it and have the materials you need to distill it. Shtf I know I'm going to need a drink.
My job takes me from the farms of Maine to downtown Boston. People in Boston think they have it all together. They look down on simple farmers because of what they don't have. When there is the slightest problem in Boston with our equipment they all stand around wondering what to do. In Maine that simple farmer adapts and overcomes. They know how to raise animals,plant crops, and survive without .
It amazes me how many skill these guys have.

Rawles in his new book Survivors claims that it will be ammo and MAGAZINES. Mags will be better than gold a year or two after the SHTF according to him.

i asked this very question to my dad regarding our families survival during the german occupation of Holland during WWII.

My grandfather was in his early 20's at the time, and was a "notorious" coffee trader. He would trade common goods, such as what is described the the previous posts. One of the biggest "sellers" where batteries that he would steal from tanks stuck in mud, or left unattended. Livestock was another common item, although it was hard to butcher the cows without getting caught, they would, and trade the meat. Because of the nature of the occupation force, gardens were looted by the nazi's before they could even really grow fully.

Later in life he would "hoard" silver coin, we found it all over his house after he died. ALthough this coin actually had the real metal value of what it repesented in monetary value. Not sure that would work much today.

- - - Updated - - -

Booze...learn to make it and have the materials you need to distill it. Shtf I know I'm going to need a drink.
My job takes me from the farms of Maine to downtown Boston. People in Boston think they have it all together. They look down on simple farmers because of what they don't have. When there is the slightest problem in Boston with our equipment they all stand around wondering what to do. In Maine that simple farmer adapts and overcomes. They know how to raise animals,plant crops, and survive without .
It amazes me how many skill these guys have.

absol***nglutely

+80 (proof). 8^)

Also i have to believe that any Gold or Silver, heck probably any precious metals will be confiscated by whatever government exists. My grandfather converted much of his money to stamps during WWII (holland occupation), and the government tried to confiscate them. They later tried to charge him taxes for even having it, which led him to tell them to ***ck off.. and he came to america in 1955.

Disposable diapers will be valuable if you have kids. I know some use cloth diapers but I don't want to think of what's involved in cleaning those.

u r out of your MIND. disposable diapers! hah. 3-4 of the old style, that you wash out each day, will be the best that can be done. Basically, infants willdie in short order, if shtf, so will the elderly and the infirm. It's going to get so grim, so fast, that you wont believe it. 10% will die within a month of the power's going offf and staying off. so many are THAT dependent upon it, and so many will be looting and killing, that soon. there will be no trading of any kind, for a year after shtf, cause to be detected will mean that you get killed, or contact will get you some contagious disease, etc. So the only realistic thing to do will be to hide out all day, come out only at night, and avoid everyone, for a year. by then, 90-99% of the people will be dead, so things will have calmed down a lot. The ideal trading material will be .22lr ammo, and silencers for same, if you have a way to internally thread the muzzzles of .22 barrels, and have a stash of such cans, with the male thread protruding from the rear of the can. Booze, dope, tobacco, etc, are for morons. you REALLY want to be around a bunch of morons a year after shtf, (assuming thaat such people last that long, of course)? want to waste your time and money preparing to trade with them? what could they POSSIBLY have that you will need, hmm?

I'm gonna miss this guy.

Not really.

Some thoughts

I as well think that Bartering will be the main, You may see some gold/silver later but that's not going to mean anything at first. Things I would have around to barter are not necessarily food, water, ammo or gas because I'm going to need those and the more I give away or trade, the less I have. And if someone needs food or water, they probably don't have anything to barter that I would want or they arn't going to want to barter, but rather try and kill me and take what I have.

My list of bartering items usually revolve around comfort items. The way I see it, anyone that has anything to barter probably has the basics covered. Toothbrushes, Nips of booze, Tobacco, Hard candies (Great for kids and I actually sent a bunch over to Marines in Afganistan as they give them to kids for intel), and with every trade you get a free P-51 can opener! How many normal folk grab a can opener in an emergency? [grin] Stock up....

Thats funny, dumb stuff I take for granted, I guess. I grew up in a family that went camping for vacations, not Disney World.

and I should add, I still feel like I know next to nothing about real outdoor survival, so there are alot of people beyond screwed.

Ditto on bartering. "Value" of an item is dictated by supply/demand. Oh...and sex. Sex is always worth something. :D

Every time I offer to take-it-out-in-trade with a women, she's not interest. I'm not sure sex is a good bartering option for me. [sad2]

Back
Top Bottom