Currency after SHTF

I have a question, more like looking for people's opinions/thoughts.
After SHTF, what do you think will be used as currency, other than bartering?
I have read a few fictional stories, and they all seem to point to the use of silver more so than gold.

Bartering. I can't see physical currency holding value for years after. The first X amount of time will be trading of supplies essential for survival, as that will be the primary focus. Later on, precious metals and whatnot may have restored value, but a year into it, I think a can of soup will be worth more than a few ounces of gold.

Food, fuel, gold, weapons. The order depends on what things are like post-SHTF. I worked with a guy that got out of Vietnam when it was life-threatening to do. Gold was the currency of the bribes it took to get him and his wife out. If things are so bad people are getting hungry, then you'll need weapons to keep your food.

I agree with what others have said above.

If the fiction you're referring to are the stories presented by James Wesley Rawles, where silver appears to be king, I would say it's not likely to be that straightforward. Gold and silver will hold their value during tumultuous periods for currencies, or in the event of a collapse, but you have to physically survive the collapse and everything that comes with it first. It may be a long time before enough reasonable civil order can be restored to where a common currency might be assigned, backed by metals. In such a scenario, people will want first and foremost what will help them increase their direct chances of survival (i.e. food, water, guns, ammo, fuel). Other bartering items of importance would be medical supplies, flashlights, batteries, etc. Where I do see gold and silver holding tremendous value is if you are stuck in a foreign country when the collapse occurs, then you will certainly require that universal currency to find your way home in the likely absence of guns & ammo.

I actually think it's the 'common' items that people overlook that are going to become "valuable" over the precious metals (Book of Eli, he trading, and it's when he pulls out the Wet Naps that Waits eyes light up in the pawn shop). You're going to see food stuffs, 'survival' items (matches, gas, etc) that are the new 'currency' items. Hell, a year into the 'problem', and that bottle of asprin and antibiotic cream to the right person becomes priceless.

I'm surprised how many of the people I work with were talking that they had gone out and gotten candles for the storm, but when I asked them if they were 'positive' they had lighters/matches in the house, most of them admitted they had no idea.

*edit* *LAUGH* just noticed that my "Book of Eli" comment is under your icon!

look at recent examples: "carrying around a gold chain and clipping links off when need to make a payment"

I read that recently in "Surviving the economic collapse" By "Ferfal" It makes sense as wearing jewelry was a way to carry around ones wealth. I think gold and silver may have their place in some scenarios, as ammo food and clean water will have theirs. Above that, probably bartering with trade-work, knowledge and skills I believe will be of high value.

Best idea is to not put all your eggs in one basket, learn as many trades as possible and have a very broad set of skills. Beyond that silver, gold, food stores, ammo and water should be catagorized as possible forms of currency.

it all depends on how far civilization will be thrown back.
throw far enough and we'll be trading in chickens, goats and measures of grain.
premise that gold and silver will be THE currency after major SHTF is solely based upon precondition that civilization as we know it will still exist in some form or another.
If there still manufacturing and production of some sort even if in the form of tradesmen/craftsmen/farmers then precision metal as currency will hold.
however, if we are back to hunting and gathering or primitive agriculture then gold will be worth no more than glass - both shiny materials, rare but useless and maybe only good for a necklace or beads.

Last edited:
food, water, guns and ammo. Those will be the only forms of currency accepted. You can't eat gold or silver. However those metals will have value and be sought after by other nations in the event the worlds currency reserve collapses.

SHTF means different things, to different people.

If the place was totally toast like "Walking dead" level of society, edibles and ammo and medicine are about all that have worth.

If it's like "Revolution", where there is a sort of government, then precious metals may exist as a medium of exchange.

If it's like NJ and NY, gasoline is the coin of the realm, more or less, it seems

Nothing has inherent value - platinum used to be considered a contaminent in silver, after all - only in relation to other things of value.

Water is cheap, unless you're in the desert.
Food is cheap, unless there's none around.
It's all relative.

Now....if we want to go to a discussion as to what the best caliber of money to stockpile is.....[laugh]

In a true SHTF, true, you want unscented shampoo, soap and deodorant. Those will be worth money. imho.

Nah. You want frilly, fruity, candle scented crap if you're going to get rich.

Q: What made men go out and build sky scrapers, suspension bridges, conquer foreign nations, write great literature, form governments, jump out of hot air balloons at the edge of space, fly to the moon, etc?

A: Not wanting to be stuck around the cave fire with a whiny, bitchy woman nagging at him about this and that all day long.

Q: And how does a man make that whiny, bitchy, nagging woman act all happy to see him for like five minutes a week after coming home covered in the entrails of his enemies and smelling of burnt JP-5 and concrete?

A: By giving her frilly, fruity smelling homo shit and sparkly things.

Now imagine a world where women have been accustomed to smelly, fruity smelling crap everyday and suddenly it's GONE. Like forever gone. Imagine how much valuable crap men are going to barter for soap just to shut them the hell up.

Which is why my brother stole my SHTF business plan from me, and now I have to kill him with a funny brake light in the gas tank April Fool's prank. And not in a funny "ha ha" way. More like " Hey dude, why don't run out and get us some beers and when you get back I'll tell you a funny joke."

BOOOOOM!!!

"Funny, huh dude? What's that? You couldn't hear it? Hang on let walk across the street and tell it again in your other ear."

food, water, guns and ammo. Those will be the only forms of currency accepted. You can't eat gold or silver. However those metals will have value and be sought after by other nations in the event the worlds currency reserve collapses.
Don't know about you but I don't plan on ever trading ammunition. Those pesky warranty claims.....

A Canadian buddy is totally convinced there is going to be an economic collapse and that Silver is the answer. Sorry, I just can't imagine when Silver will be worth more than whiskey in a post apocalypse. And betting the ranch on precious metals seems pretty risky in the meantime.

Last edited:
Pieces of gold and silver... It is the only thing that can keep its value. And once the fecal matter hits the rotating oscillator the value will only go up.
Why will it go up? That's the question in my mind. I don't see Wampum coming back, either.

Why will it go up? That's the question in my mind. I don't see Wampum coming back, either.

This! Unless you're using the precious metals for some sort of trade skill it doesn't seem very useful. If the economy comes back after the SHFT situation is back MAYBE it'll be worth something as a medium currency, but not more than actual useful things or a trade skill. However, if the SHTF situation is werewolves and vampires... you'll be ready with your silver.

not needed if you know what you are doing

You ever light a dude on fire with a flint and steel?

not too tough when they are soaked in gas... well them being bound and gagged helped

An open flame is absolutely above and beyond a better ighting device and one that can not be over rated.

To that end as instructor trainees we were not allowed to light smokes unless we could do it with a 'metal match'.
This was a laugh riot at the beginning when you saw the smashed cigs in our faces.
People who didn't smoke would earn MRE extras by lighting other trainee's smokes for them.

I still have custom 'metal matches' that will burn very hot. I still will not pass up an open flame though.

Back
Top Bottom