• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Shouldn't Be Surprised That "Fewer People Than Expected Have Registered Guns

Just goes to show that some people in CT still have the spirit of 1776.

Resist. Refuse. Resist.

I would bet that more than likely, many of them just aren't paying attention. Same thing happened in MA when GCA1998 got passed... years later people are still walking around here with their "Lifetime" FIDs thinking they're still valid. There are thousands of people in MA with guns in their homes and no valid license for possession. I'm not disputing, however, that many down there are probably fed up and don't care anymore. I see the same thing in MA all the time, too, and its growing and growing.

-Mike

I would bet that more than likely, many of them just aren't paying attention. Same thing happened in MA when GCA1998 got passed... years later people are still walking around here with their "Lifetime" FIDs thinking they're still valid. There are thousands of people in MA with guns in their homes and no valid license for possession. I'm not disputing, however, that many down there are probably fed up and don't care anymore. I see the same thing in MA all the time, too, and its growing and growing.

-Mike

Nobody has informed me of the new laws, so as far as I know, everything I own is legal. ;-)

Also CT can go **** itself if it thinks people will register. Unconstitutional laws are not laws.

What will most certainly happen is that CT will put together a team that will make a big deal of "visiting" known owners who failed to register. They will be made an example of and it will give a kick in the butt to a lot of those guys on the fence.

Another poster above made a valid point, however. He said that no one had told him of the new laws. It's amazing that when it comes to paying bills to the state, they State can find your address and stick a bill in the mail. When it comes to them telling you about new laws that definitely affect you that they just shrug their shoulders and ignore you leaving it up to you to learn about these new regs in the men's room or on the playground. AS far as I'm concerned, if they pass laws that affect firearm ownership, they have a responsibility to send me a letter telling me of my new obligations. Am I supposed to be a mind-reader?

Rome

I doubt they will be going door to door..since private sales required no paperwork..they have no clue who has what...Sorry, sold it..bye

I personally don't know a single person who is complying with any of the new laws...people just don't care..they don't what they have for magazines...there are millions of these magazines in CT..i doubt even 5% will be declared

I believe denying someone there civil rights is a felony too..so Lawlor might want to watch out..he might need to go to the big house

Last edited:
I believe denying someone there civil rights is a felony too..so Lawlor might want to watch out..he might need to go to the big house

CT has already shown they don't care about your civil rights by passing this law. Given that what makes you think they wouldn't come out to do Door-to-Door audits if they get a small amount of registrants? If this disparity becomes a media story of any significance I think they would go out of their way, as Cabinetman mentioned, to show how little they care about gun owners rights. All they have to do is put "Sandy Hook" and "Assault Weapon" into their story and the majority of the politicians in CT will let them do whatever they want. If they throw an "it's for the kids" in there somewhere they probably won't even need warrants.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. The judge may choose to go easy on you though.

The reality is that with so many laws, we are ignorant of 99% of them, and even though we have no intent to do so, we probably violate a number of laws every day.

I don't know much at all about the new CT laws, but why aren't people just "registering" 50 (or some other large, but not identical number) of standard cap mags of each possible type?

CT has already shown they don't care about your civil rights by passing this law. Given that what makes you think they wouldn't come out to do Door-to-Door audits if they get a small amount of registrants? If this disparity becomes a media story of any significance I think they would go out of their way, as Cabinetman mentioned, to show how little they care about gun owners rights. All they have to do is put "Sandy Hook" and "Assault Weapon" into their story and the majority of the politicians in CT will let them do whatever they want. If they throw an "it's for the kids" in there somewhere they probably won't even need warrants.

I was being an idiot..I know they don't care.....I think going door to door could go horribly wrong, a shorter but just as deadly Ruby Ridge incident would not be good for the State of CT...or for politicians

In my opinion they don't want to collect the guns..they just want to make sure the guns get in the right hands..the criminals..they want dead people...most importantly children..its the only way to advance the agenda.

It doesn't matter if you register or not. Sooner than later they will pass a new law that simply states if you have it your have xx days to remove from the state...after that you're a felon.
no need for door to door confiscations. your choice will be either never publicly leave the house with it or run the risk of an arrest.
Over time the sheep will just accept it and go on with their day.

. While I'm not a fanatic I do wear my "Molon Labe" hat regularly.

Rome

I didn't know that the translation changed to "come and take them, BUT only if you can find them in another state that I'm hiding them until I can move out of the state so I don't have to hide them anymore"

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know much at all about the new CT laws, but why aren't people just "registering" 50 (or some other large, but not identical number) of standard cap mags of each possible type?

Because **** them... that's why

And by way of example, when you get pulled over by police in MA, they can now see whether you have an LTC and a list of all the guns 'registered' to you. (but we don't have registration, we only have 'transfer records'!)

Only an idiot would register their firearms if they weren't already registered.

I spoke to someone who knows and he said a warning flashes on the screen that you have a license. Doesn't list any guns.

Might just be his town.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

It drives me crazy what these bastards have done to us guys, absolutely crazy. The nerve of them turning us all into felons overnight, it absolutely enrages me. **** this state, this new law has absolutely ruined my life and all the plans i had for it.

Now, this state is dead to me. None of my money will go to any CT business that is not gun affiliated if I can help it from here on out. I have refused to buy hunting or fishing licenses, buy gas in rhode island when i can, etc. If these bastards want to label me a terrorist I will start acting the part, not violently but with my wallet for now. I will go out of my way to economically sabotage this state in any way I can and I will be leaving here hopefully within the year. This state, the governor, neil heslan and the newtown sheeple can all GO-TO-HELL.

Joe T.........what would you have me do to "live up to" the Molon Labe? Would you have me shoot anyone who goes over my property line? Would you have me become the next "ruby ridge" or some other three or four day standoff while the press makes their millions and the rest of CT gun owners cower in their basements? It makes no sense. There is a really excellent saying that goes well right now: "He who fights and runs away and live to fight another day". Should it come down to a skirmish line where we have American citizens standing up their God given rights against a state's paid militia, you can bet I'd be there. Am I going to go it alone? No.

The best I can do, then, is to make sure that I don't become a poster boy and go to jail and ruin my life while keeping what I own safe from registration and, I feel, eventual confiscation. It's the best I can do right now. Maybe someday I'll live up to that mantra but not today when I alone.

What, prey tell, are you going to do? Are you going to cow-tow and register or are you going to become an overnight felon? That's show 'em won't it?? I'm sure your family will be proud, too.

Please don't get into a flame war with me about this. I've had it with this discussion and, frankly, CT in general. That's why we're going to leave.

Rome

I spoke to someone who knows and he said a warning flashes on the screen that you have a license. Doesn't list any guns.

The guy I was talking to was MSP. He said that they upgraded the system. Initially you could see that they had a license. Then that went away. Now, he said you can see if the person has a license as well as any guns they have registered to them. I can't confirm it, but I don't know why he'd make that up.

Does CT officially know who has what anyway? Did they record sales or transactions?
got pulled over once and they asked me if i have a weapon and told her, she comes back after a few minutes and asks why its not on their list of xx number of guns, i say it doesnt have to be. she looks puzzled and goes back to her car and gives a written warning for taking a left that somebody waved me permission for. they know every gun you bought at a dealer or pistols previous to new law that the private seller called in. inherited, borrowed, out of state purchases, and homemade are not on their list

Absolutely. I won't be that boy. CT is in the state of huge upheaval right now. It won't be fixed until a big.....and I mean big chunk of the politicians elected are conservatives or responsible democrats who respect the constitution. (ha!). Until then we keep our powder dry and wait.

Rome

Rome,

I'll start with I've read quite a few of your posts and most of the time think we agree. I think we have a lot of the same beliefs and values

Joe T.........what would you have me do to "live up to" the Molon Labe?

I do see irony in the Molon Labe hat and you moving your guns to keep them "safe". and the quote in your signature
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."

"He who fights and runs away and live to fight another day".

But Rome, if not today? when? There has never been a bigger push against us than we fight now. It's actually something the anti's do very well. They all agree where the line is, and their goal it to get to that line. We, (lawful gun owners) all have a different imaginary line in the sand. For some it's "assault weapons", others handguns, others hunting rifles. We'll as a group come to a time when "another day" has come and gone and there will be nothing else to fight with.

My line in the sand has been crossed. and I'm too old (46 today) and fat to run away

The best I can do, then, is to make sure that I don't become a poster boy and go to jail and ruin my life while keeping what I own safe from registration and, I feel, eventual confiscation. It's the best I can do right now. Maybe someday I'll live up to that mantra but not today when I alone.

What, prey tell, are you going to do? Are you going to cow-tow and register or are you going to become an overnight felon? That's show 'em won't it?? I'm sure your family will be proud, too.

Please don't get into a flame war with me about this. I've had it with this discussion and, frankly, CT in general. That's why we're going to leave.

Rome

Rome,

I don't blame you, like I stated above everyone has their line, and everyone has a limit to what their "cost" will be. You asked specifically what I'm going to do. I'm GOING to be a felon overnight. I will not comply, I'm done playing by "their" rules that continue to change

A little about me, I'm married and have 2 daughters. THEY are the most important things in the world to me. MY FIGHTING for THEIR freedom is MY JOB. We've already failed our generation. It's my duty to insure my kids live in a better world than we do. There is no price that is too great for THEIR freedoms. There's a saying that when you're outraged, grab your rifle and go outside; if you're the only one there, it's not time.

I may go outside with my rifle and be the only one there. It doesn't mean that it's NOT go time, I may just be the first one out.

The 2nd Amendment was put in place so that THE PEOPLE can fight back against an oppressive government. I say that it's more oppressive today than it was in 1776 when men far wiser with much more to lose than I, decided that they had enough.

Be honest with yourself for a moment...I just ask rhetorically, where is your line in the sand? And when these laws expand to the next state, and the state after that, and the state after that (and it will,despite what some guys here that live in NH say) when will you be too tired to run? and will it be too late?

sorry for the long response...

Last edited:
Fortunately I live in a free state. I used to have to run NCIC for my old job. the only thing that would show up related to firearms is if they had a CCW and the expiration date. No list of what was bought, owned, or anything like that. It didn't matter what state the person was from no list of firearms would show up. This sounds like a CT/MA thing that they're doing on a state level.

Joe, the bottom line is that there is no place for me to put a line in the sand. Truth be told, if I thought for one moment that one person's actions would ignite a revolt/revolution I'd be your guy. Today, however, we have zero/nada cohesiveness and therefore we are all just a bunch of lemmings protecting what we have as best we can but not locking shoulders and making any type of stand. That hasn't been done since the Civil War. Do you think we're ready for another Civil War right now? I don't. I don't because while a lot of guys will wave the flag and plaster their car with pro-gun bumper stickers it's a long way to taking up arms against the state. We still have political options to exercise and as long as that's the case it's going to have to be what we use. A physical conflict is not going to happen at least not in my life time or at least until there is some type of national rally against our government when all else fails. It might happen should there be a bank run/failure where the bottom of the economy drops out or some other event happens. Why do you think there are so many preppers out there?

BTW, you've noticed my sign-off on my threads is : "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." Do you know where it came from? IF not, look up Edward Abby. You'll be surprised as to just who he was. We could not be further apart in our philosophy but darned if he didn't hit the nail on its head with his statement. IT can be applied to both sides of the political spectrum.

R

I spent the week on a job site in CT and had a lunch conversation with 7 people who owned firearms. They had no idea you had to register magazines or exactly what rifles were banned. I was dumbfounded. I spent an hour going over the bill with them.

I think most gun owners in CT don't even know what has happened.

I spent the week on a job site in CT and had a lunch conversation with 7 people who owned firearms. They had no idea you had to register magazines or exactly what rifles were banned. I was dumbfounded. I spent an hour going over the bill with them.

That's because if you don't care to stay on top of all the legal changes going on, there's no way we would know. I'm not saying that ignorance of the law is fine, but how would we be expected to find out? You would think that the state would send out some sort of explanation via mailing.

I'm sure someone will come along with better info but I believe if you purchased the gun in CT through a FFL then they know. If you did it through a private transaction then they do not.

100% correct.

When you buy through a dealer, in addition to the federal form, you complete a DPS 67 which is held by the dealer and a DPS 3, which is sent to your town and to the DESPP.

Unlike federal forms, CT has and does computerize these records. So its as simple as a cop punching your info into his MDT to see these transactions.

Prior to 4/4/13, no record of a long gun purchase was required among non-licensees.

I intend to register all my AWs because frankly holding out gets me nothing. They were all purchased through dealers and the state knows about them anyway. I have advocated for a long time that the plan should be to drown them in paper. By the wording of the law, something like a flash hider or a pistol grip from an AR lower parts kit is an AW. I intend to register dozens of these items. Just to cover myself.

- - - Updated - - -

got pulled over once and they asked me if i have a weapon and told her, she comes back after a few minutes and asks why its not on their list of xx number of guns, i say it doesnt have to be. she looks puzzled and goes back to her car and gives a written warning for taking a left that somebody waved me permission for. they know every gun you bought at a dealer or pistols previous to new law that the private seller called in. inherited, borrowed, out of state purchases, and homemade are not on their list

They are also very very very backed up on DPS3s. The last time I spoke to the DESPP in mid November, they were processing DPS 3s from March 2013 into their system.

Last edited:

We call that the "Accidental Felon" and CT is going to have thousands.

Back
Top Bottom