• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Resident - Moving Out Of State Questions

Hi all,

Had a question regarding an address change and moving out of state. Currently have a CT resident pistol permit which I will be maintaining after my move. I will not be taking my pistol with me immediately and want to leave it secured with a current CT resident and permit holder. Searching under "borrowing guns" that seems perfectly legal and the person holding the pistol for me will not be leaving the home with it as the hold is for sporting purposes only.

The tricky question is one of the pistols is registered in compliance with the new CT AWB. Do the same rules apply? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere since the Certificate of Possession will have my name and old CT address, although the address will match where it is stored and the pistol will not leave the safe unless it is by me.

Thoughts? I called the SLFU and haven't been able to get hold of a detective yet. The person who answered the phone agreed with me on point 1 above with storing in CT, but was unsure about the "assault pistol".

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ummmm why the **** would you want to leave stuff in CT?!?! Especially things they are after? This is a serious question.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmm why the **** would you want to leave stuff in CT?!?! Especially things they are after? This is a serious question.

Because the move is to MA and don't want to risk passing the 60 day window and not having an LTC. I also have a safe area to target shoot where they are stored which means never having to worry about transporting.

The "assault pistol" is just a 22cal target pistol so worst case I'll sell it to a CT dealer. I'm not attached to it and it's on the MA approved list. I can easily buy another if I want after obtaining a MA LTC. My primary concern is just doing it all legally.

Last edited:
Because the move is to MA and don't want to risk passing the 60 day window and not having an LTC. I also have a safe area to target shoot where they are stored which means never having to worry about transporting.

The "assault pistol" is just a 22cal target pistol so worst case I'll sell it to a CT dealer. I'm not attached to it and it's on the MA approved list. I can easily buy another if I want after obtaining a MA LTC. My primary concern is just doing it all legally.

If you want to do it legally then go in to the mass law forum and start reading the stickies. There is so much info there. But my piece of advice is to bring them with you immediately and place them with someone in MA and apply for your LTC and get around having to file a FA10 (which it sounds like you would do because you were part of the 15%). This way you legally don't have to lick boots.

Sorry that you have to move to MA!

You can still bring the gun to MA when you move, that way you don't ever have to register it in MA. If you bring it in afterwards, you must register it on an FA-10 to be legal. Do your thing to get your MA LTC and don't worry about the 60 day grace period as long as you leave the guns locked up in your MA home. Do some reading in the MA Gun Law Stickies to understand how this really works and don't fret if the town/state takes >60 days as long as you have done your part in a timely manner.

In my opinion you registered the pistol to the state, not to you. You are the owner but you and the pistol are not one in the same. So, as long as the pistol was properly registered with Uncle Malloy you should be good to go to leave it with a properly permitted babysitter. But, that's just my opinion.

Rome

Sorry that you have to move to MA!

You can still bring the gun to MA when you move, that way you don't ever have to register it in MA. If you bring it in afterwards, you must register it on an FA-10 to be legal. Do your thing to get your MA LTC and don't worry about the 60 day grace period as long as you leave the guns locked up in your MA home. Do some reading in the MA Gun Law Stickies to understand how this really works and don't fret if the town/state takes >60 days as long as you have done your part in a timely manner.

+1 - bring it all with you on the move, provided its compliant with the MA AWB.

If you choose to leave it behind anyway, please let us know why its an AW. Does it have a threaded bbl? I'm guessing it is, since the old AWB prohibited things like AR or AK pistols.

If its just a threaded barrel and you decide you want to leave it with a friend in CT, you can just remove the barrel from it and not worry.

I spoke with Sgt. Damato of the DESPP about how a pistol that was registered as an AW would be treated if it was not in an AW configuration. He said it was just like any other gun.

In my case, I have several Glocks. I have a couple of threaded barrels for use with compensators and silencers. I also carry some of these guns. I asked him if he thought in his opinion (Its just an opinion since it doesn't have any weight of law) there would be any problems with carrying it if it was registered.

He said that once the non-threaded barrel was removed, it no longer was bound by the restricitons of the AWB.

With all that said, do as LenS says. Bring them in and apply for a LTC in a timely manner and you will be fine.

Don

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was able to find a friend out of state to FFL transfer to so no worries. Can transfer back to me at a later date as it's on the approved list in MA. Regarding the stickies in the MA section, more than helpful, thank you.

FWIW, I spoke to a few people at the SLFU and got I don't knows on my question about leaving it in the state and one definite no. They said once I change my address either the pistol had to go with me or it had be surrendered. Since the Certificate of Possession has my name and my address, I have to be in possession. If I leave it behind, I could only have the address matching.

Who may possess Assault Weapons in Connecticut?

Law enforcement and military personnel may possess Assault Weapons in connection with their official duties, and any person who has a Certificate of Possession issued by the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit may possess the Assault Weapon listed on their certificate.
Since the person I would leave it with doesn't have the certificate in their name...appears to be a no-go.

Don, it was due to the threaded barrel. I had the same thoughts as you since the threaded barrel provides no value to me. I don't have any fake or real cans for it and never planned on getting one. From what I gather, it's the serial that's registered and once it's registered, that's it. It's now an AW in CT's eyes. Similar to if you got a pre-94 AW and built it current-ban compliant. Sure, it's no longer sporting all the evil features, but you could easily revert it to pre-ban status and it's always registered by the serial on the lower as a pre-ban AW and would be treated as such regardless of its current configuration. Fun stuff wading through these new laws[banghead]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom