CT Pre-ban Lower Q's, what do I need?

I'm interested in picking up a preban lower to build up myself with evil features, including a future supressor (my ears!) and an adjustable stock (comfort for my other half while shooting). Currently in my budget 550-750, I have only been able to find Olympic Arms Lowers. Now, my understanding is that OA can only verify the date range of manufacture due to a fire and loss of records. The lower I'm looking at falls under what OA states as 08/27/94 build date on their site. Now the Statute goes as follows (as I'm sure you all know):

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

Now, as the lower is in the eyes of the law a firearm, do I in CT need to be able to prove it was assembled into a full rifle prior to the ban? Do I need paper work with it? What do I need to have in order to build my rifle the way I want while keeping legal?

Last edited:
You do NOT need to show that it was assembled into a complete rifle prior to that date.

I don't have anything in writing. I got this in discussions with Deputy Attorney General Steve Sarnoski. If you
would like further confirmation, I'd suggest you give Trooper Hatfield (also a lawyer) from the State Police Legal Affairs unit.

Remember that the basis of our laws is that if something is not explicitly prohibited, then it is allowed. A lower is a firearm in the eyes of the law. There is no language specifying that it must be a complete rifle.

Either way, buy the pre-ban lower and you are good .. . . as long as its not a Colt, because Colts were named in the original language of the law and therefore even pre-ban guns are AWs.

Here's a link to the definition: http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

I'm interested in picking up a preban lower to build up myself with evil features, including a future supressor (my ears!) and an adjustable stock (comfort for my other half while shooting). Currently in my budget 550-750, I have only been able to find Olympic Arms Lowers. Now, my understanding is that OA can only verify the date range of manufacture due to a fire and loss of records. The lower I'm looking at falls under what OA states as 08/27/94 build date on their site. Now the Statute goes as follows (as I'm sure you all know):

Now, as the lower is in the eyes of the law a firearm, do I in CT need to be able to prove it was assembled into a full rifle prior to the ban? Do I need paper work with it? What do I need to have in order to build my rifle the way I want while keeping legal?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...mation-for-those-who-still-live-under-the-AWB

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/290819_Official_CT_Preban_Thread.html

The above links should help identifying pre-ban lowers. Also, a pre-ban lower isn't the end all build it how you want it. If you want to go lower than a 16" barrel you need to register the lower with the BATFE as an SBR. I'm not sure on this, maybe dcmdon can clarify, but you MAY need to posses a pistol permit if you want to go lower than a 12" barrel as any thing that has less than a 12" barrel is considered a pistol in CT.

So, to re-cap.. 16" barrel ar15 is the legal standard. 15.99" - 12.00" needs to be registered as an SBR. 11.99" or lower needs to be registered as an SBR AND also MAY require a pistol permit.

Last edited:
Good summary.

But if all the OP is interested in doing is building the same kind of gun available with no restrictions to residents of almost every other state, then a pre-ban lower is all it takes.

By the way. I would say if you have an interest in this, get one the sooner the better. I have 3. The first I paid $200 for, the second and third I got as part of a rifle. Once I parted them out, they ended up costing me $300ish.

I've heard some crazy numbers floating around. I believe they can be had for $700 ish. Although I recall reading that BMG actually sold one for well north of $1000 to an unsuspecting sucker.

Good summary.

But if all the OP is interested in doing is building the same kind of gun available with no restrictions to residents of almost every other state, then a pre-ban lower is all it takes.

By the way. I would say if you have an interest in this, get one the sooner the better. I have 3. The first I paid $200 for, the second and third I got as part of a rifle. Once I parted them out, they ended up costing me $300ish.

I've heard some crazy numbers floating around. I believe they can be had for $700 ish. Although I recall reading that BMG actually sold one for well north of $1000 to an unsuspecting sucker.

I will be picking the lower up on Monday from my FFL. I got one from ar15-kits.com, supper nice people, so far so good. It was 575 shipped, seems steep but I have been watching lowers on gun broker in terrible shape go for north of 800, good ones up to 900! Everything in CT costs more! The lower is part of the UK#### that were produced on 08/27/94, 2 weeks prior to the ban according to the OLY site.

I have a pistol permit anyway, I'm fine with a 16" barrel, although an SBR would be something I would like, it just isn't worth that much more to me. I'm familiar with the NFA rules and will be going for a tac-16 can come January (or so the plan is now). I wanted to be able to suppress it mostly, and have an adjustable stock for some of my shorter armed friends. I didn't want to be limited on my upper choices later on either.

Last edited:
Thats great. It sounds like you got a good deal. I have a forged Oly made about the same time. They can be a bit snug on some uppers but other than that work great.

I read that, worse comes to worst I do a little fitting.

Cobra Arms of the Hartford area actually called me last night asking if I still wanted one. I guess he deals mostly in preban CT sales, he has a new account on Guns America. I think he mostly sells complete rifles, starting around 1200.

I can't wait to pick it up, it just got to CT on a truck it looks like. Thanks for all the info.

You are very welcome.

If 1200 covers a fancy upper, with a 2 stage trigger and a magpul stock, it may be a reasonable deal.

If its for GI fire control parts with an A2 stock and plastic hand guards, its no deal.

Don

Not high end by any means: http://www.gunsamerica.com/91539653...turers/Complete-Rifle/SGW_pre_ban_16in_a2.htm

pop_wm_3297577.jpg

Although I recall reading that BMG actually sold one for well north of $1000 to an unsuspecting sucker.

Seen, and asked them about that one. They have a couple PWA lowers, one stripped and one complete for the same damn price of $1000+. I asked them what's the best they can do on the complete one and said, "there isn't much wiggle room, but I can knock $50 off". I looked the guy straight in the eye and told him I can buy the same exact thing on gunbroker for roughly $700 shipped to my FFL, and when I offered to give him my business instead of giving it to a private seller to see what he could do for me, he still didn't budge. Gave me all the BS excuses in the world about how they guarantee what they sell works and shipping costs and transfer costs and all that jazz. I told him I would rather buy from Hoffmans & NGX and walked right out. BMG is a waste of time. All they want is your money, and just listening to them trying to sell their SCAR-L to unsuspecting people is hilarious. Guy said, "yeah, this is the rifle that the Army chose to issue out to all of our soldiers" and other untrue mouth dribble. Not to mention their $400 yugo sks's...

Anyway, I just picked up a mint PWA preban complete lower on gunbroker for $650.

Last edited:
Thats Capitalism. He can charge what he wants and you can choose not to buy from him.

I don't know what he's charging for a SCAR but they cost a bit under $2200 in quantities of one from most wholesalers.
You don't need to buy any parts to make them compliant with the CT AWB, since they already come with a brake. You just need to permanently attach it by the method of your choice.
It doesn't have a bayonet lug, so no work there.
All thats left is to pin the stock.

So $2200 + 1 hr of shop time = ???

All I'm saying is there are better gun shops, close by, to spend your hard earned money at and not get blatantly lied to like you're a jackass. Could care less about ever buying one of those boutique ar15's. 'Cept maybe H&K's offering [smile]

Update:

Picked up the lower. Began to assemble, a poorly matched pin/guard and a swift tap later: Broke the trigger guard tab off one side of the lower. I'm kicking myself for it 2 days later!

I'm going to use a magpul grip/guard and use jb weld and some touch up black to repair it. You shouldn't be able to readily notice it was ever broken when I'm done without close inspection. I'm going to hold onto this lower for the long haul, so I'm not horribly concerned about resale.

Back
Top Bottom