• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT pistol permits at this time

I've been waiting to get my temporary permit since late Feb/early March. I took the basic pistol class and have my NRA certificate. While some things are opening back up on 5/20, it doesn't sound like fingerprinting at the local PD will be one of them. I just want to ask here to clarify - is going to your local PD / first selectman the only way to get a CT pistol permit? I can't roll my own fingerprints or get it from a different state, etc? I've been waiting for months for the fingerprinting department to re-open, and I believe this is the only way (especially with the recent lawsuit I heard about) but I just wanted to ask and confirm to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There is nothing in the regs requiring anyone specific to do the prints. I might try doing my own and seeing how it flies. Don't ask/don't tell who did them. You can get an inker on Amazon for like $2.

I still have one from 2013 from when I registered all my pistol grips and lower parts kits as assault weapons. Ha. I think I mailed in 60 forms. ;-)

I've been waiting to get my temporary permit since late Feb/early March. I took the basic pistol class and have my NRA certificate. While some things are opening back up on 5/20, it doesn't sound like fingerprinting at the local PD will be one of them. I just want to ask here to clarify - is going to your local PD / first selectman the only way to get a CT pistol permit? I can't roll my own fingerprints or get it from a different state, etc? I've been waiting for months for the fingerprinting department to re-open, and I believe this is the only way (especially with the recent lawsuit I heard about) but I just wanted to ask and confirm to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Are you a Connecticut resident? Based on your post it looks like it but you didn’t fill out your profile.

As a nonresident I went to Middletown and they did them there but that was before the Kung Flu. You can call and see if they will do them there. Worst they can do is say no.

Bob

I am a CT resident, yes. I see that the state police is open for permits, but you still need a temporary permit from your town. So the high level process is NRA Training > Local Police for Temporary Permit > State Police for Pistol Permit. I have the NRA training cert but I've been waiting for my local police to re-open finger printing to get my temporary permit. Rolling my own finger prints won't be helpful as you need to bring a temporary permit to the state police for them to give you a permit right?

I am a CT resident, yes. I see that the state police is open for permits, but you still need a temporary permit from your town. So the high level process is NRA Training > Local Police for Temporary Permit > State Police for Pistol Permit. I have the NRA training cert but I've been waiting for my local police to re-open finger printing to get my temporary permit. Rolling my own finger prints won't be helpful as you need to bring a temporary permit to the state police for them to give you a permit right?

Your understanding of the process is the same that I have. You need to get temporary permit from your local police department first. And you jump through their hoops to get it.

Your temp local permit is valid statewide, but limited with expiration date. That permit is necessary to apply for state issued permit.

So - yeah, you're screwed depending upon your local police department.

Thanks Allen-1, I appreciate the confirmation. Fingers crossed they will open up again soon.

I read it as the state was changing the process to allow yoou to apply for a state license directly. Like a non-resident does.

But I'm probably wrong.

If you click on the link to the 'new pistol permit applicants' page, it is explicitly clear that these appointments are for individuals who have a temporary state permit (i.e. the short term credential issued by their local CLEO or first selectman) and need to apply for the 5-year/renewable permit from DESPP.

I read it as the state was changing the process to allow yoou to apply for a state license directly. Like a non-resident does.

But I'm probably wrong.

You're right - you're wrong. :)

See "Please bring the following to your appointment" below and on
this link:

Effective May 26, 2020, DESPP-HQ will reopen on a limited basis for new pistol permit applicants by appointment only. Appointments can be made through Eventbrite.

This system is for NEW pistol permits only. Appointments will begin Tuesday, May 26, 2020. Appointments will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 8:30am - 4:00pm. If you need to cancel an appointment , you must do so through Eventbrite and not by calling the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. Upon entering the building, a temporal scan will be performed. Nobody will be admitted if they have a temperature above 100.4. A mask or cloth face covering must be worn. Only the person with an appointment will be admitted into the building .

If you are having problems with the Eventbrite website, you may call 860-685-8290. Due to high call volume, the method of scheduling your appointment is through the website.

Please bring the following to your appointment:

1. Temporary permit;

2. Birth certificate or Passport;

3. Photo ID;

4. $70.00 check, money order (payable to "Treasurer, State of CT" ) or Exact cash.

OK. So this changes absolutely nothing for residents.

Very clever though. CCDL can't sue every municipality at once to force them to begin processing PP apps.

Or can they? Is it possible to get a judge to issue an order to all municipalities?

Of course they will begin processing. One appointment per day. or something that technically complies with the order but effectively keeps things shut down.

The the CCDDL will get involved spend money and win. By which time its November and all the workers are back.

i filed for a non-resident CT permit. I obtained mine through the same fingerprinting service i used to file with the ATF for my NFA items, and with the following states for their non-resident permits. Ut, Nh, Maine, Az, Fl, and Illinois.

However I am in Dallas.

Have you received your license yet?

Back
Top Bottom