• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT, Non-Resident License Renewal

Mailed in my paperwork on 7 July and received license today, too easy even thou I needed Notary on form and pics. .
CT non-resident renewals are not too bad, it was the initial application that was a PITA because of fingerprints.

1st try, I did my own fingerprints and they were rejected.
2nd try, local PD took my fingerprints and they were rejected.
3rd try, went to the local MSP barracks for fingerprints and they were rejected.

I finally drove down to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit in Middletown, they took them there and a week later I had my permit.

Makes you wonder if they only want to give out non resident permits to people that are within driving distance (which I guess most people are). [hmmm]

CT non-resident renewals are not too bad, it was the initial application that was a PITA because of fingerprints.

3rd try, went to the local MSP barracks for fingerprints and they were rejected.

I finally drove down to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit in Middletown, they took them there and a week later I had my permit.

Makes you wonder if they only want to give out non resident permits to people that are within driving distance (which I guess most people are). [hmmm]

I went down to Middleton and did the initial application. They were terrific.

Bob

I will be applying for my CT out of state license. I am currently waiting for my military discharge paperwork. It seems to be taking forever for this to get processed. Once I get my discharge paperwork I will have finger prints done at my local PD and photos done at AAA. I am a NRA certified instructor in NRA Basic Pistol so I should have no probem with the Firearms Class Certification. Any reconditioned for a first time applicant from those that have already been through this.

I will be applying for my CT out of state license. I am currently waiting for my military discharge paperwork. It seems to be taking forever for this to get processed. Once I get my discharge paperwork I will have finger prints done at my local PD and photos done at AAA. I am a NRA certified instructor in NRA Basic Pistol so I should have no probem with the Firearms Class Certification. Any reconditioned for a first time applicant from those that have already been through this.
1st time application can be PIA because of prints but after that renewal is a piece of cake. I had prints done at Security in work and they were accepted, notarize application form, get pics, send copy of Ma. LTC and check and was good to go. Don't recall if I sent copy of DD214.

The application specifies a copy of the DD214. It seems this is my current stumbling block. It has been 15 days since I put in my request for a copy of my DD214 and nothing I checked the site and it still has not been processed.

The application specifies a copy of the DD214. It seems this is my current stumbling block. It has been 15 days since I put in my request for a copy of my DD214 and nothing I checked the site and it still has not been processed.
I don't recall but is DD214 a substitute for a Cert of Firearms training class?

No the DD214
is my milatary discharge to prove I have an honorable discharge.
A certification of a approved firearms class is still needed. I don't have a problem with that because I am a certified NRA instructor certified in Home Firearms Saftey, Basic Pistol(the class required for CT) and Defence in the Home

Last edited:
No the DD214
is my milatary discharge to prove I have an honorable discharge.
A certification of a approved firearms class is still needed. I don't have a problem with that because I am a certified NRA instructor certified in Home Firearms Saftey, Basic Pistol(the class required for CT) and Defence in the Home
Back when I applied for a ME NR, I called and asked if I really needed to take a course since I am certified to teach NRA HFS, Basic Pistol, Advanced Pistol and both Personal Protection inside and outside the home. They waived the course requirement and just asked for a copy of my NRA instructor certification. I do believe that CT and FL both would do the same thing if asked (never in MA however).

I am sure they will. It would be stupid if they wouldn't. All I would have to do is give myself the class and issue a certificate. The problem is waiting for a copy of my DD214 it seems that this will take for ever

I am sure they will. It would be stupid if they wouldn't. All I would have to do is give myself the class and issue a certificate. The problem is waiting for a copy of my DD214 it seems that this will take for ever
That's why MA won't accept it . . .

Just like I'm a MSP certified LEOSA instructor but must pay someone else for my annual qualification to satisfy MSP!

Still this is not my stumbling block. As an instructor I could easily have another instructor put me through the class. It is waiting for the DD214

Still this is not my stumbling block. As an instructor I could easily have another instructor put me through the class. It is waiting for the DD214
Why do they need your DD214? I know it's your proof of honorable discharge, but why does CT care? I don't think I sent mine to them when I got my NR permit.

I was reading about out of state applications. Any live fire req?

Back when I applied for a ME NR, I called and asked if I really needed to take a course since I am certified to teach NRA HFS, Basic Pistol, Advanced Pistol and both Personal Protection inside and outside the home. They waived the course requirement and just asked for a copy of my NRA instructor certification. I do believe that CT and FL both would do the same thing if asked (never in MA however).
Any idea if they would accept expired NRA instructor certs? I haven't taught in years.

Back
Top Bottom