• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Non-Res with Restrictions in MA - Any issues?

So I spend quite a bit of time in CT and will be applying for my Non-Res Permit. It was brought up briefly in this post but I'm looking to see if there is anyone out there who has any additional input. I was living in Boston when I received my MA LTC and it lists "Sport & Target / No Concealed Carry" as my restrictions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I too am applying for my CT permit. I hold an unrestricted MA permit. Under reason for issuance, I always put, "All Lawful Purposes." What should I put in this box on the CT permit?

Thanks Cabinetman. All Lawful Purposes it is then.

Buketduder, there is an 8.5" by 11" app and a small card stock app too. It's on the card app.

New Member here-- I currently have a Mass. LTC Class A and have had it 30+ yrs. I am also presently applying for a Conn. pistol permit as I was born/raised in Conn and have many relatives there whom I visit. Questions are as followed; After I receive my Conn Pistol Permit---

1-Will I be able to purchase a handgun in Conn, and yes/no will it have to go through a Mass. dealer?
2- Can A private Conn Citizen legally sell me a handgun?
3- if #2 is yes, can I get the forms at any dealer

New Member here-- I currently have a Mass. LTC Class A and have had it 30+ yrs. I am also presently applying for a Conn. pistol permit as I was born/raised in Conn and have many relatives there whom I visit. Questions are as followed; After I receive my Conn Pistol Permit---

1-Will I be able to purchase a handgun in Conn, and yes/no will it have to go through a Mass. dealer?
2- Can A private Conn Citizen legally sell me a handgun?
3- if #2 is yes, can I get the forms at any dealer

1 - You can but it has to be transferred to a MA FFL from the FFL in CT and would need to meet their requirements (on "the list" and you are probably better off just buying it in MA unless it is an availability or pricing advantage)

2 - Yes....but the same as #1...it needs to be transferred from a CT FFL to a MA FFL and meet all their requirements.

The non-res CT pistol permit basically only gives you the ability to legally carry and bring handguns into CT...not much else. I haven't investigated it but I believe even on rifle purchases the 2 week waiting period would apply.

Welcom to the forums! This is a great forum for New England gun owners and shooters. Make sure you check out all of the different threads going on. There's a lot of good info out there.

I live in CT and am an instructer. To answer your questions quickly:

#1, no, Federal Law says you can't buy a handgun in CT. However, it can be shipped to your FFL/Dealer in MA for xfer to you there. You CAN buy a long gun, however, since you have a MASS license and a CT license. Handguns have to be xfered by an FFL to the new owner in the state where they reside.

#2, A private CT citizen can not sell you a handgun because you are not a citizen of CT.

Regardless of what permits you have you're restricted to buying handguns from the state you live in unless you have the seller send the handgun to an FFL in your town where they will do the xfer for the seller to you in your home state.

I've got a MA non-res permit and I can't even buy ammo in your state......nothing...not even .22 or shotgun shells even with a LTC-a AND a hunting license. However, the CT permit will allow you to carry your handgun with you. We don't have any 'concealed carry' laws, either. There isn't one single word about carrying concealed in our regs. HOWEVER, no one carrys open here anymore unless you want a lot of unnecessary attention. Conceal carry will work just fine, however. You can also buy all the ammo you can load into your car. We have no ammo restrictions nor mag restrictions. However, MA does as I'm sure you know and your purchases should reflect those restrictions (10 round mags ax unless pre-ban).

Sorry, wish there was better news but that' that. Hope that helped.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom