CT LEGAL WASR

Going to TRY keep this short and sweet-

I recently moved out of CT, to a southern state with much more "American" gun laws then lovely, lovely CT. The weapon I'm looking to purchase is good to go down here in VA, no restrictions

Wanted to run a few ?'s through here: I've searched the forum like crazy, as well as the internet for a few months now, and am seeing conflicting data. Spoke with a very informed salesman from a local gun shop in CT, but forgot to ask a few more questions in excitement from the responses I was getting (plus we went off on a Tangent)..Nonetheless

Present situation:
I'm remaining a CT resident. I have 1 utility in my name down here, but that’s it. I do not plan on getting a VA driver's license, but will be getting a VA CCW permit.

IN TERMS OF CT LAW:
CAN'T:
7.62 caliber
Collapsible stock
Bayonet Lug

CAN: the "Evil 3"
Semi auto
Removable mag
Pistol grip

I'm looking to pick up a CenturyArms .223/5.56 or 5.45x39 AK- specs:

5.45x39 RIFLE:
- US-made receiver and barrel (fixed stock)
- Utilizes original AK-74 muzzle break, bolt carrier group and other factory parts
- Two (2) pre-1994 hi-cap 30-round magazines
- Don't see a bayonet lug

.223/5.56
- Laminated buttstock and upper/lower handguards (fixed stock)
- Factory cold hammer forged chrome-lined barrel (don't think its threaded)
- G2 US-made fire control group
- Muzzle nut tack-welded in place (NY and NJ compliant)
- Bayonet lug with shaved ears (NY and NJ compliant)
- Bayonet w/ sheath
- One (1) thirty-round magazine

I'm looking for some help/advice on which would be the "better" purchase. The weapon will be in my possession, in VA. From time to time, I may travel back to CT, and would like to be able to bring the weapon up North with me.

Thoughts/comments/concerns?

(Appreciate anyone taking the time in advance to help me out here!) [grin]

Last edited:
I have the same rifle as the 5.45 you are talking about..the only thing that does not matter is pre/post ban mags.....I am not sure about the .223 you described..

I'm not sure if you are asking if those guns are legal in CT.

If thats your question, then yes, both are legal in CT provided the gun with the brake has it "permanently affixed". Which can include silver soldering or welded in place.

On the .223, the fact that the muzzle nut welded in place makes it permanently attached. So if there are threads under the nut, its not a problem.

If you're asking which is a better gun to own, thats a whole different thing.
.223 will always be plentiful and easy to reload.
5.45 is currently plentiful and very cheap. But who knows what the future will hold.

There is a simple solution. Buy/keep them both. I've got an Arsenal SLR 105 in postban config. Its a lot of fun to shoot, and the ammo, like I said is dirt cheap. I think I paid about $280 for 2160 rounds, including shipping from Aim surplus.

I also recently picked up a pre-ban chinese gun in .223. Its heavy, with the 1.5mm receiver.

I actually like shooting the arsenal better, but I think the chinese gun is more accurate. Both are more accurate than any 7.62x39 AKs Ive ever shot.

Don

I'm not sure if you are asking if those guns are legal in CT.

If thats your question, then yes, both are legal in CT provided the gun with the brake has it "permanently affixed". Which can include silver soldering or welded in place.

On the .223, the fact that the muzzle nut welded in place makes it permanently attached. So if there are threads under the nut, its not a problem.

If you're asking which is a better gun to own, thats a whole different thing.
.223 will always be plentiful and easy to reload.
5.45 is currently plentiful and very cheap. But who knows what the future will hold.

There is a simple solution. Buy/keep them both. I've got an Arsenal SLR 105 in postban config. Its a lot of fun to shoot, and the ammo, like I said is dirt cheap. I think I paid about $280 for 2160 rounds, including shipping from Aim surplus.

I also recently picked up a pre-ban chinese gun in .223. Its heavy, with the 1.5mm receiver.

I actually like shooting the arsenal better, but I think the chinese gun is more accurate. Both are more accurate than any 7.62x39 AKs Ive ever shot.

Don

nice, where do you find these great finds. I go to newington gun exchange and only see AR15s.

VCSniper,

I found the Arsenal at JoJos. (The same JoJos thats famous for their 1911 work). I had a pistol student who was going to the Caribbean treasure hunting and they were going to have AKs on the boats they were using for Pirate defense. She told me she wanted to learn how to shoot an AK and would pay me for my time. So I needed a gun. I called all over the state and JoJos had the gun in stock. They had gotten it in just a couple of days earlier. I can't even tell you I negotiated hard. I paid their asking price. Its the nicest shooting AK I've ever shot. Even without a brake. But then again, I've never shot anything from the boutique places like Krebs. (A boutique AK is almost an oxymoron, but they do exist.

The .223 Norinco 84S was a STEAL. The gun started out at about 1100 and I think he was down to $900 when I contacted the seller. Its a fixed stock gun in all original condition in excellent shape. Its got all the standard accessories including the original cleaning kit, sling and bayonet. It also included 7 Norinco mags, which typically go for about $40 each.

It turned out the gun was in New Hampshire. So I made the guy a lowball offer and told him I'd drive up that day from CT with cash in hand. We met at a local FFL and I paid 750 for the whole lot including mags and accessories.

I almost felt bad.

The SLR 105 was sheer stupid dumb luck. The 84S was the result of patient persistence.

Don

What is Jojo's like; do they sell alot of AK rifles, or is just mainly a pistol shop? I know their website doesnt provide an inventory. I only go to newington gun exchange and like I said, its mainly AR15s for assault rifles. Just want to see if other gun shops offer anything else.

Also, how was the experience with the FFL in NH? I mean if I was ever up there and wanted to buy a CT legal rifle, would they give me a hassle? I know in florida they wouldn't sell me anything with my CT drivers license.

Last edited:
The law says you can buy a long gun out of state if you buy it from a dealer and the gun is legal in your home state.

So the FL guys are just exercising their right as private businessmen to sell to whomever they choose. But it would be legal for them to sell to you.

I like Newington Gun Exchange (NGX). They typically have a couple each of SKS and AKs in stock. Last time I was there they have a really cool, original SKS that took AK mags. They also had a MSAR, which is a US knockoff of a Steyr Aug.

JoJos is a very cool place. The place is small. But they always have good stuff worth looking at. It is definitely worth the trip.

The NH dealer was fine. He knew the law. I actually called a couple and they all were happy to do the transaction. I'm guessing it didn't hurt that I had a CT pistol permit and a C&R FFL. Both of which I brought with me. (Although neither is required) I screwed up by accidentally bringing my take down shotgun case so the gun wouldn't fit.

Since I was going through the people's republic of Massachusets with a fully evil AK and a bunch of 30 rd mags, I wanted to make sure I complied with the FOPA requirements for safe passage. To do so I needed a locking case since my car is a hatchback. They were kind enough to find an old bushmaster hard case and sell it to me for $5.

The law says you can buy a long gun out of state if you buy it from a dealer and the gun is legal in your home state.

So the FL guys are just exercising their right as private businessmen to sell to whomever they choose. But it would be legal for them to sell to you.

I like Newington Gun Exchange (NGX). They typically have a couple each of SKS and AKs in stock. Last time I was there they have a really cool, original SKS that took AK mags. They also had a MSAR, which is a US knockoff of a Steyr Aug.

JoJos is a very cool place. The place is small. But they always have good stuff worth looking at. It is definitely worth the trip.

The NH dealer was fine. He knew the law. I actually called a couple and they all were happy to do the transaction. I'm guessing it didn't hurt that I had a CT pistol permit and a C&R FFL. Both of which I brought with me. (Although neither is required) I screwed up by accidentally bringing my take down shotgun case so the gun wouldn't fit.

Since I was going through the people's republic of Massachusets with a fully evil AK and a bunch of 30 rd mags, I wanted to make sure I complied with the FOPA requirements for safe passage. To do so I needed a locking case since my car is a hatchback. They were kind enough to find an old bushmaster hard case and sell it to me for $5.

did you notice any better prices in NH, for guns that is? I didnt realize jojos was close to newington. Ill have to stop down there when I go back to NGX, to browse.

I did not notice any better prices.

One thing I did notice was that switchblades are legal in NH. They had about 3 dozen of them on a rotating rack, like sunglasses. Expensive though.

I also noticed a funny sign on the outside of the shop that said someting like "discharging of firearms inside this building is strictly prohibited". Made me smile since this shouldn't really need to be clarified.

Back
Top Bottom