CT Gun Law:

What gun law is being broke here.....

Someone enters your home, is threatening your wife with a weapon,
knife, gun, bat, chainsaw, whatever... your wife being legal to own/carry a firearm, goes into the safe and gets one of your guns,
and shoots this person who could have hurt or killed her.

What law has been broke, and who is going to jail?

Unlawful transfer of a firearm, you both are going to jail.
A firearm is registered to one person and one person only, the only time
anyone can shoot your firearm legaly is at a range with you right there with them.

Bull*$%# laws. a women can't defend herself in her own home from an intruder trying to hurt/kill her.

If it is a long gun (like a shotgun) then you could have transfered it to her, because in CT you don't have to do paper work for a FTF on long guns. She could also buy one from a FFL with here drivers lic. (it just a 2 week wait to get the gun).

Unlawful transfer of a firearm, you both are going to jail.
A firearm is registered to one person and one person only, the only time
anyone can shoot your firearm legaly is at a range with you right there with them.

Bull*$%# laws. a women can't defend herself in her own home from an intruder trying to hurt/kill her.

This should actually be posted in the gun law section.

This is a false statement as well.The gun is not being tranfered or sold by you or bought by her.She is your wife by law and lives in your home and if legally allowed by law to posess a firearm/pistol permit etc...she has every right to use your gun in self defense.The key here is she has your permission to do so which I doubt you would deny her.If she shot/killed an intruder in your home and it was ruled justifiable homicide,who's name the gun was in isn't going to matter unless it was stolen!

The same goes for you lending a pistol to a friend to shoot without being present.As long as they are legally allowed by law to posess it and have your permission there is no state/federal law that states that you would have unlawfully "tranfered" a firearm to anyone.That applies to knowingly giving/selling a firearm to a convicted felon or someone otherwise not allowed by law to posess a firearm....not your wife or friend!

Last edited:
So what happens when my wife gets her permit and I allow her to carry one of my guns??? Are we breaking the law? Should I draft a signed document that she can keep in her purse stating that she has my permission to carry a pistol registered to me, or will I have to go through the hastle of transferring the pistol/revolver to her, in which case I would no longer be allowed to carry it???

No law is being 'broken' by the homeowner/wife/resident.

Non-permitted homeowners and business owners in Connecticut are allowed to have a handgun/rifle on their property. Our constitution guarantees that. Now, the "loophole" in CT law is that in order to obtain a pistol in CT requires you to have a permit, period. But, in this case, the homeowner/resident is protected by law since the gun was there (rifle or handgun), having been legally purchased but a permitted person. Therefore, the wife living in the home could use it to protect herself without worrying about being licensed no matter where it's stored in the home.

IF, however, she ran into the street and chased the bad guys, that's a different story. Once you are off your property, you must be licensed to carry a firearm.

Just my take on that scenario.

Rome

while some vague law may have seemingly been broken, that is not the case. if someone was trying to kill me and i broke into my neighbors house and grabbed his submachine gun, i should be covered by the doctrine of competing harms

No permit of any kind is required to posses a handgun. In CT, you can legally loan a handgun to a non permit holder. As long as they aren't a PP. they can't leave the house with it. But that's not up for discussion here.

Back
Top Bottom