• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT CCW training requirement

JRT

NES Member
Looking for some help on CT training requirement to apply for CCW. Does an MA LTC class or a Florida/Utah class with live fire qualify for required CT training. If not what course do I need to take? The way I read the paperwork even if I have a CCW in PA already I am still required to take a safety course.

You'll need the NRA Basic course, 8hr with live fire. The MA course would not quality. I don't know about the Florida or Utah class.

You'll need the NRA Basic course, 8hr with live fire. The MA course would not quality. I don't know about the Florida or Utah class.

I know it was not 8 hours. Maybe 4 tops. I guess if I want a CT license I will have to suffer through an 8 hour class. The thought of this grates me good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CT specifically requires live fire, but does not have a formal exhaustive list of classes. I expect you would have a reasonable chance with any class where you could document the presence of a live fire component.

CT specifically requires live fire, but does not have a formal exhaustive list of classes. I expect you would have a reasonable chance with any class where you could document the presence of a live fire component.

I will give it a try with the Florida live fire class I took. Worse that can happen is they will say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give it a try with the Florida live fire class I took. Worse that can happen is they will say no.
I suggest you get some documentation from the instructor certifying it was "live fire", rather than just make that assertion with your application.

I have a mass LTC and a CT non resident permit to carry. The same class that you took for your MA LTC is the same one you can use for CT. Call the CT department of public safety and have them mail you and application once you receive it fill it out pay the fees send your picture and your copy of your completion of class and in about 6 weeks you will have your license. I didn't have any live fire training when I did my class in MA so you should be ok

The only class CT recognizes is the NRA Basic Pistol class.

The law says "Any class approved by the commissioner". But only 2 have been approved.

1) NRA Basic pistol
2) A class created by Ed Peruta (yes that Ed Peruta) in 2011 to make a point that you can get alternate classes approved.

If you are certified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol, like Rob says, its also smooth sailing. In 2013, CT Carry tried to get an alternate curricula passed. It was rejected by the commissioner of public safety with no reason given.

One other thing. Please PLEASE stop with the CCP and CCW when it makes no NO sense.

Its not a CCW (concealed carry weapon) license. Its officially a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

In CT its called a Pistol Permit by most people Just like in MA its a LTC and in NH its a P&R.

But if you don't know. Can you just call it a CARRY PERMIT. Nice and generic without the useless jargon.

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO CONCEAL in CT. So a calling it a CONCEALED carry permit is factually incorrect. Practically speaking this is the case. People DO open carry (OC) in CT. And nobody is bothered. Its been about 4 years since anyone was arrested for OC despite dozens of people doing it every day.

Don

p.s. I give a CT focused NRA Basic Pistol class. After the NRA stuff, we review the text of most of the relevant CT laws pertaining to firearms, and use of force, as well as the horrendous new omnibus anti-gun law PA 13-3.

Last edited:
PMoney - you got lucky, my application was denied because the training course was not the NRA Basic Pistol... That was also almost 10 years ago and I've since moved from MA to CT and took the NRA Basic Pistol...

I took the mass ltc course at mass firearms school three years ago. There was a live fire portion included in the course. Hopefully this certificate will work for my CT application. I reached out to the course instructor for guidance on whether or not it qualifies but I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot either way. The thought of burning a whole weekend on retaking what is essentially the same course is what kills me. I don't even care about the $100 fee.

Guys, listen to Don, please. If you don't take the NRA basic pistol course with live fire you will not be approved for a CT permit to carry pistols and revolvers. Anyone who has been approved without the NRA basic pistol course was just the lucky beneficiary of a mistake. That has been what I have seen and I know Don knows his stuff.

Guys, listen to Don, please. If you don't take the NRA basic pistol course with live fire you will not be approved for a CT permit to carry pistols and revolvers. Anyone who has been approved without the NRA basic pistol course was just the lucky beneficiary of a mistake. That has been what I have seen and I know Don knows his stuff.
I suspect approving someone with instructor certification for the course may be general policy, but I am not certain as I only have a sample size of 1.

I suspect approving someone with instructor certification for the course may be general policy, but I am not certain as I only have a sample size of 1.

Yeah, that probably works, it makes sense that if you are certified to instruct the required course you have been trained at least as well as the students in the required course. That said, CT is not known for making sense. But for the average non-NRA instructor I would not waste time/money hoping to slip one through. Just take an afternoon, go take the course and be done with it because chances are you will be made to take it anyway.

I am not sure if the guy I took it from still does it. He moved to Maine but was still coming to CT every month or so to teach the course. It was always Sunday after church and done by late afternoon.

I think the NRA changed the format too now. You have to take it online through the NRA site or some such thing. I think it costs $35 or so. Then you still have to pay an instructor to get the live fire in for states that require live fire like CT. That's what I heard but I am not sure so check into it.

Is this MA LTC course with a live fire component not considered the NRA Basic Pistol course?

http://www.massfirearmsschool.com/class/mass-basic-firearms-safety-course/

I don't see any problem trying to apply for the license with my current certificate unless a denial means I have to pay all the ridiculous application fees over again.

Does anybody know a good place where I could take the CT approved course near Hebron, CT?

Is this MA LTC course with a live fire component not considered the NRA Basic Pistol course?

http://www.massfirearmsschool.com/class/mass-basic-firearms-safety-course/

I don't see any problem trying to apply for the license with my current certificate unless a denial means I have to pay all the ridiculous application fees over again.

Does anybody know a good place where I could take the CT approved course near Hebron, CT?

I think you would have to pay the fees again, that's why I would hate to see you risk it, but I am not sure.

As far as the class, I took it in Columbia, not far from you at all. I will PM you info.

Thanks Carl! If that is the case, I'll just bite the bullet (pun intended) and take the CT approved class. Columbia would be perfect as it's less than 10 minutes from me.

Yes, the NRA has changed the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course. $60 (paid to the NRA) for Phase 1. Once you complete the 8-9 hours sitting in front of a computer, you can find Phase 2 instructors. Phase 2 is the hands on and live fire portion of the course. Phase 2 will be anywhere from $75-$125 depending on the instructor. Phase 2 should take between 4-5 hours. Once Phase 2 is complete and the student passes, the instructor can print the certificate. BTW, Phase 1 does not have to be done in one sitting it can be completed over many days or weeks.

I live in CT and am also a NRA instructor.

The NRA Basic Pistol is the only readily available course that is approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in CT.

If your certificate does not have a NRA seal and say "Basic Pistol" then you did not take the required course. Period.

Does that mean mistakes aren't made? Of course not.

Here's how I'd work it. If I wanted to make sure I got my Pistol Permit ASAP, I'd make sure I submitted the form with the correct certificate.
If I wanted to try to save a few bucks, I'd try it with anything I had and see if it flies.

Don

p.s. Please remember that no permit of any kind is required to bring rifles and shotguns into CT and to use them for sport and recreation (or even defense). I had a conversation last year with a MA guy who wanted to take the NRA basic pistol class from me because he erroneously thought that he needed a permit to bring his shotgun into CT to go bird hunting on a friend's property.

Last edited:
Oh and just a little hair splitting.

Its not a CCW permit.
And its not a CWP.

There is no CONCEALED in any CT requirements.

It is a Carry Permit. Although we don't call it that.

We call it a Pistol Permit, although the legal name is a License to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

There no concealed anywhere in anything that relates to pistols in CT. Open carry is legal and regularly practiced by many many people. Please cleanse the terms CCW and CCP from your lexicon when discussing the carry of a defensive firearm in CT. Its bad in that it conditions people to expect firearms to be concealed when they do not have to be.

Don, isn't this going to be a cluster**** though now that the NRA has invalidated the old BP course and moved onto this blended learning crap?

-Mike

I don't know. If its still called NRA Basic Pistol, it won't matter.

I haven't updated my materials because I bought about a 3 year supply of the old stuff. I'm going to continue to give the old course until I run out of stuff.

Maybe there are some NRA Basic Pistol instructors who can confirm, but I'd assume that at the end of the shooting portion, the instructor still hands the student a signed certificate. Of course I could have that part wrong.

Getting a final answer is as simple as calling the Special Licensing and Firearms branch of the CT DESPP and asking them.

I haven't updated my materials because I bought about a 3 year supply of the old stuff. I'm going to continue to give the old course until I run out of stuff.

Maybe there are some NRA Basic Pistol instructors who can confirm, but I'd assume that at the end of the shooting portion, the instructor still hands the student a signed certificate. Of course I could have that part wrong.

Getting a final answer is as simple as calling the Special Licensing and Firearms branch of the CT DESPP and asking them.

I just got certified in the Blended Learning Basic Pistol and it was still called Basic Pistol. I don't think they're changing the name and the certificate appeared the same.

When I got my CT permit, I took a shorter class at Mass Firearms that they had gotten approved assuming you had taken the MA LTC Class there. The CT Class did involve live fire. They included a letter from someone in CT stating the class qualified for the Permit and we were told to put it in our packet. (http://www.massfirearms.com/class/connecticut-license-to-carry-class-part-2/)

I was told that there is now an online portion of the NRA course that must be taken before the in person/ live fire portion. The online course costs $60 and the in person courses tend to cost around $100 from what I am seeing. Add that to all the checks that have to be written for the actual application, finger printing, etc. and this CT pistol permit is going to cost almost $300. It seems like the NRA is the big winner here. The state requires applicants to take their course so they can jack the price up $60 and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

I was told that there is now an online portion of the NRA course that must be taken before the in person/ live fire portion. The online course costs $60 and the in person courses tend to cost around $100 from what I am seeing. Add that to all the checks that have to be written for the actual application, finger printing, etc. and this CT pistol permit is going to cost almost $300. It seems like the NRA is the big winner here. The state requires applicants to take their course so they can jack the price up $60 and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

Yeah, the NRA is kinda giving folks the shaft on this one. I guess they wanted to get more of the classroom pie but for folks in states that require live fire it really hurts because local classes aren't any cheaper now that the NRA has put the classroom part online.

I think with all of the town fees, FBI checks, finger print costs, state fees and of course the NRA Basic Pistol course I think it was just over $300 for me and that was before this new $60 NRA course fee. Some towns charge even more too. It's all part of limiting our rights by making it so hard and expensive that some folks can't do it. Best of luck.

And if the NRA ever found out, they woul be within their rights to yank your instructor credentials for not running the course the way they designate it.

Thanks Carl! If that is the case, I'll just bite the bullet (pun intended) and take the CT approved class. Columbia would be perfect as it's less than 10 minutes from me.

I took mine at Center Sports in Columbia. Great guys there

And if the NRA ever found out, they woul be within their rights to yank your instructor credentials for not running the course the way they designate it.
For the MA required law section, which is not part of the NRA curriculum, they only require it be taught before or after the nra material

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom