CT Carry Law

Here is a question that I wish I could post a poll to...

In CT, if you have a valid permit to carry pistols and revolvers, does the permit require the handgun to be concealed? This could be a mindbender to some.

I tried to search this question, but was unsuccessful. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here is a question that I wish I could post a poll to...

In CT, if you have a valid permit to carry pistols and revolvers, does the permit require the handgun to be concealed? This could be a mindbender to some.

I tried to search this question, but was unsuccessful. Good luck!

Yes absolutely 100% concealed carry in CT.There is no open carry in CT.

CT Carry Info

I can not take credit for compiling this info, but I will pass it along, I found it to be a good read.

In the state of Connecticut you are required to carry your handgun concealed. In addition, you are required to have a concealed carry permit (see the 'Permits' page for information about permits). Some things to keep in mind about carrying ...

- If you are carrying your handgun lawfully (meaning you have a legal permit to carry a concealed pistol or revolver and that weapon is registered and owned by you) and someone sees it, its' silhouette, or if someone finds out you are carrying it (IE, should you tell someone who tells someone else etc...) you can be charged with the following offenses: 53a-181, Breach of Peace in the 2nd Degree (you have recklessly created a risk of annoyance or alarm and you have created a hazardous condition); 53a-64, Reckless Endangerment in the 2nd Degree (it can be considered recklessly engaging in conduct which creates a risk of injury).

- Anything you do, has just become whatever it was but now has the stigma of "with a deadly weapon". This means that if you get into a fight, instead of assault, you now have assault with a deadly weapon (Sections 53a-59 through 53a-61 deal with the various levels of assault.) In addition, you can have Section 53a-216, Criminal Use of Firearm or Electronic Defense Weapon levied against you. This basically says if in the commission of a felony you use either of the above, you can be charged with this.

- If you're going to the bar, it's best not to carry. If you are caught drinking and in possession of a firearm, that's against the law (Section 53a-206d, Carrying a Firearm While Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor or Drug.) In most cases, it will likely be assumed by a responding police officer that you have in fact been drinking, and will probably cause more hassle than it is worth.

- When bringing your gun out for a drive (IE, you have it in your car for transfer to a range etc...), Section 29-38, Weapons in Vehicles states if you don't have you pistol permit, or other appropriate license, and you have a weapon in your vehicle, you and anyone else in your vehicle can be charged with having possession of that weapon. In addition, Section 53-205, Shotguns, Rifles, and Muzzleloaders in Vehicles and Snowmobiles deals with those specific weapons and states when transporting those firearms, you must do so with them unloaded (unless you're a police officer, military, security, etc...).

Below are some other laws which deal with carrying, but mainly apply to those without permits:
Section 29-35, Carrying of Pistol or Revolver without Permit Prohibited, self explanatory.
Section 29-206, Carrying of Dangerous Weapons Prohibited, specified 'other deadly instrument' which could be considered a gun.

Connecticut has its own way of handling what's legal and what's not. Technically there is no requirement for concealed carry as a CT Permit is a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

Now here is were Connecticut Law gets tricky. Connecticut is not a shall issue state but a may issue state, with the requirement that an eligible person for a permit also be deemed a suitable person. Suitable is defined any way local law enforcement wants to define it.

Thus although there is no law on the books requiring concealed carry, if you are cited for Breach of Peace, or Reckless Endangerment than you will be considered not a suitable person. So it is concealed by practice not mandate. If you don't get it (understand it) you won't have it.

IANAL

although there is no writen law in CT, when you take your permit class they all tell you to keep it concealed. I thought it was the law,
but when trying to look up gun laws in CT, all the gun laws are so gray, and can be understood in many ways. Everyone I know who has there permit conceals there handguns.

Although Connecticut calls itself "The Constitution State" a carry permit is not a right it is a privilege bestowed by local law enforcement and the state.

The law in Connecticut is not grey, it is rather specific about it. One must be a suitable person.

Concealed carry is not the law, it is the practice. Nothing grey about that. It "Connecticut administrative policy" is the law, thus one must read between the lines.

Between the lines, a Connecticut permit is a Concealed Carry Permit Only. There is no law anywhere that states that, because it is written between the lines. Also, between the lines it says, "Concealed Means Concealed." Nothing grey about that. I read that clearly between the lines.

The Constitution clearly states that our Rights come from God.

In Connecticut our privileges come from government. I am not challenging it or arguing with it, it just is. Connecticut law enforcement feels this is what works and thus this is what is practiced.

Reminds one of the case in DC, where the Constitution says one thing and the law says another.

It is kind of like the speeding limit sign that says, Speed Limit 55mph, reading between the lines says the flow of traffic can be from 40 to about 72mph. Now they reserve the right to stop you at any speed above 55mph but probably won't until you reach a speed that is not in line with the flow of traffic. That is the law between the lines. Try doing just 55mph and you won't get anywhere timely and you will probably cause an accident. Law vs Practice. IANAL just a citizen.

Last edited:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

RESTRICTIONS ON CARRYING AND TRANSPORTING FIREARMS

In Public Buildings

The law, with minor exceptions, bars people from carrying firearms in any building (1) where either House of the General Assembly is located; (2) in which the office of any legislator or legislative officer, employee, or committee is located; or (3) where a legislative committee is holding a meeting. The law exempts police officers, military personnel on official duty, and veterans serving as honor guards (CGS § 2-1e(c)).

Interference with the legislative process is a class D felony.

In Public

The permit to carry handguns allows people to carry them openly or concealed, but mature judgment, says the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, dictates that (1) “every effort should be made to ensure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it. . . [and] (2) no handgun should be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances. ”

For example, according to the board, handguns should not be carried:

1. into a bar or other place where alcohol is being consumed;

2. in any situation involving stress such as an argument;

3. after consuming alcohol or any other than those legally prescribed; or

4. in any building, residential or commercial, whose owner prohibits handguns (http: //www. ct. gov/bfpe/cwp/view. asp?a=1252&q=254186).

4. in any building, residential or commercial, whose owner prohibits handguns (http: //www. ct. gov/bfpe/cwp/view. asp?a=1252&q=254186).

Uh, isn't ANY situation requiring the defensive use of a CC gun going to be "involving stress"? Way to go there, CT. [rolleyes]

Yes absolutely 100% concealed carry in CT.There is no open carry in CT.

WRONG again! You can open carry in your house and on any property you own. Same for a business if you own it. As stated, open carry is legal because it's not prohibited and I've seen it done in rural areas, especially NW CT. These people were "out and about", too. Probably farmers or farm workers as there are a lot of farms up in NW CT.

Now, would I open carry? Nope, definitely not where I live. Not going to risk losing my permit and a $600+ gun.

You will not find the word concealed anywhere in CT law..or on your permit...There are currently lawsuits pending on the matter of open carry....as it should well be ok to do..

You will not find the word concealed anywhere in CT law..or on your permit...There are currently lawsuits pending on the matter of open carry....as it should well be ok to do..

Even if a law were passed making open carry legal, there's no way I'd do it in this jacked up libtard blue state. Especially with the "turn your neighbor in" law where a judge can order a person's firearms confiscated if someone feels the owner is a threat to himself and/or others. All it takes is one a**h*** of a neighbor and there sure is no shortage of a**h***s in CT. [angry]

The reason I posed this thread is that there is a case where an arrest was made for a breach of peace where the person arrested was carrying a gun concealed and it inadvertantly made it into the open (by the person raising their arms, bending over, etc...). The police were called and the carryer was arrested becasue they violated the law when the gun made it into the open, as was claimed by the police. When the case made it to court, the case was thrown out because the exposure of a concealed gun does not constitute a breach of peace. Must the gun be concealed? I think not by law, but more by common sense. I am following the case and will update further when I have more.

Last edited:
In Public

The permit to carry handguns allows people to carry them openly or concealed, but mature judgment, says the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, dictates that (1) “every effort should be made to ensure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it. . . [and] (2) no handgun should be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances. ”

Nice save on the old BFPE FAQs they took down a long time ago because people were citing it as legal reference. Not there anymore and that link is now dead.

laws don't make things legal..they just make things illegal..they will never pass a law saying its "ok" to open carry..there is just no law against it..which makes it legal....

Even if a law were passed making open carry legal, there's no way I'd do it in this jacked up libtard blue state. Especially with the "turn your neighbor in" law where a judge can order a person's firearms confiscated if someone feels the owner is a threat to himself and/or others. All it takes is one a**h*** of a neighbor and there sure is no shortage of a**h***s in CT. [angry]

laws don't make things legal..they just make things illegal..they will never pass a law saying its "ok" to open carry..there is just no law against it..which makes it legal....

Alrighty then. Go ahead and try it then get back to us. If you can post from jail, that is. [rofl]

Bucketduder, I disagree Laws do make things both LEGAL and ILLEGAL. For instance if the law gives you the right to Freedom of speech.

The reason I posed this thread is that there is a case where an arrest was made for a breach of peace where the person arrested was carrying a gun concealed and it inadvertantly made it into the open (by the person raising their arms, bending over, etc...).

Was this the guy who "flashed" at a Chili's restaurant? He still lost his permit. Good luck getting it back with a multi-year appeal delay. [rolleyes]

Well the law states that you must make reasonable effort to avoid stressful situations. Had he been the one making the commotion at a place he could easily leave (IE not his property). Then he by all means was in violation. EVEN if he had the gun well concealed.

As for the Open / concealed argument the law is not black and white. IF you have the patience/time/money to argue it with LEO then great. OTHERWISE it is taught to all Permit applicants that it is CONCEALED carry. And you risk loosing your privileges. Remember we ARE a BLUE state.

Show me this law in the Connecticut General Statutes???...hint you won't find it...

Well the law states that you must make reasonable effort to avoid stressful situations. Had he been the one making the commotion at a place he could easily leave (IE not his property). Then he by all means was in violation. EVEN if he had the gun well concealed.

Last edited:
Its simple..there is no law against carrying a handgun openly if you have a permit..now whether certain cops would arrest you for it i dont know...but a judge would throw it out..now you could lose your permit and weapon and have years of court costs/lawyer fees..due to the fact that our Government is not afraid of us and think they do not have to follow the constitution...or the law...,don't believe what someone says..even what i say..look in Connecticut Law yourself..

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294508&dpsNav=|#firearms

Show me the law that "allows" me freedom of speech.

While I agree with your premise that laws typically don't 'make things legal', the CT constitution is actually a bit retarded in that regard:

Connecticut Constitution said:
Every citizen may freely speak, write and publish his sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty.

Article 1, Section 5 is a bit more on the mark (denying the state the right to pass laws against free speech), so I'm not sure what Section 4 is trying to do exactly...

Back
Top Bottom