• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Carry Law 2018

Hi Everyone,

My buddy just moved from NH. He is looking to get his Carry Permit. The thing is, he has a DUI that is classified as a misdemeanor. I have been helping him search online and to be honest I don't see anything that a prohibits him from getting a license. I see you have to be a felon or have 11 charges under a certain category.

I don't see a DUI fitting any category since he did not receive reckless endangerment...just a plain misdemeanor dui. I told him to contact a lawyer. Any advice helps.

Hi Everyone,

My buddy just moved from NH. He is looking to get his Carry Permit. The thing is, he has a DUI that is classified as a misdemeanor. I have been helping him search online and to be honest I don't see anything that a prohibits him from getting a license. I see you have to be a felon or have 11 charges under a certain category.

I don't see a DUI fitting any category since he did not receive reckless endangerment...just a plain misdemeanor dui. I told him to contact a lawyer. Any advice helps.

Here's the thing. I don't know exactly how becoming a PP works.
1) if the offense is a felony in your home state - which would make him ok since by your description its not a felony.
2) if the same offense would have been a felony in the state he is in, had it happened there.

I'll ping some guys who know this better than I do.

If we find you are not statutorily prohibited, then it becomes a discretion thing by your local issuing authority.
Some IAs strictly follow the law and will issue as long as you are not a PP.

Others will deny. Even though the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners will find for the applicant in a hearing.
Many don't bother.

So questions for yoru friend.
1) Confirm the exact charge which he was convicted of.
2) Find out how long ago it happened and how old he is.
3) Does he have any other arrests or situations where he has dealt with the police.
4) Find out what town he will be applying in.

Finally, tell your friend that he should feel free to bring all his firearms down to CT even without a pistol permit. As long as they are in compliance with our AWB.

No licenses are required to possess ANY firearms in CT. Handguns, he can bring to his home then pretty much tcan't take them anywhere. (see below). Long guns he can do anything anyone else can do with long guns.

Feel free to IM me with his number if he wants to discuss.

Don

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or any Department of Motor Vehicles inspector appointed under section 14-8 and certified pursuant to section 7-294d, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of the state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

I got this from Rob Boudrie. So it looks like if that offense is a felony in CT, he would be a prohibited person in CT. Per state law.
He is not a PP per fed law.

The "feloniousness" of the offense is based on one of two things:
- Classification as a felony where convicted
- Max possible sentence > 2 years where convicted.

I do not believe he would be a PP due to federal law, but you would have to check CT law in case they have something screwy on their books. The big risk would be CT not understanding that the NH conviction was not a felony.

Similarly, if one has an OUI conviction (not a CWOF) in MA (2.5 year sentence, therefore felony under 18 USC 922(g)), it would not be reduced to a misdemeanor by moving to a state in which that offense is not a felony.

Back
Top Bottom