CT application

nevermind guys...

I did some more searching and found it myself. I called the Dept. of Public Safety of CT and requested they mail me an application.

sorry for the needless post.

Rob

ya..it should be 35$..and last for 4 or 5 years..it is shall issue..you will get it...you should not need to state a reason for wanting it either..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya..it should be 35$..and last for 4 or 5 years..it is shall issue..you will get it...you should not need to state a reason for wanting it either..

well its 35 bucks for the application and an additional 19 bucks for the fingerprint cards to be processed. So you are looking at 54 bucks total.

You have to send them 2 checks. One for 35 and another one for 19. It states it clearly in the application to write 2 checks.

That was kind of a bummer but what the heck. Hopefully the fingerprint cards are a one time thing and dont apply for the recert/renewal.

I have gone through the process last year and it was a PITA. I had to take a day off from work to get fingerprinted and to see a notary to get stamped. I should have just driven down to CT and done it in person. That's how I will handle the renewal.

did u guys sent in basic pistol course or some other certificate, they just sent mine back because i didnt take the 8hr course for my ltc

OK I called the firearms division and this is what I took away from it.....

I sent in the NRA Basic Home certificate. When you take that course you get that cert as well as the Mass State Police cert (both for the same course, Basic home) For some reason CT thinks that the state police certificate is acceptable, but not the NRA one, even though they are for the same course. I guess they assume the MSP cert is for an 8hr pistol course, when it is for the 4hr basic home.

My town accepted my certificate from Gunsite in AZ, but anyone who is current or prior military is all set. Just show your active duty ID or a copy of your DD-214 as proof of training.

OK I called the firearms division and this is what I took away from it.....

I sent in the NRA Basic Home certificate. When you take that course you get that cert as well as the Mass State Police cert (both for the same course, Basic home) For some reason CT thinks that the state police certificate is acceptable, but not the NRA one, even though they are for the same course. I guess they assume the MSP cert is for an 8hr pistol course, when it is for the 4hr basic home.

NRA Home Firearm Safety meets the current requirements for a MA LTC, but CT requires NRA Basic Pistol (or an approved equal). Furthermore, CT specifically states that NRA Home Firearm Safety and NRA First Steps Pistol are not acceptable, and that all courses must include live fire.

NRA Home Firearm Safety meets the current requirements for a MA LTC, but CT requires NRA Basic Pistol (or an approved equal). Furthermore, CT specifically states that NRA Home Firearm Safety and NRA First Steps Pistol are not acceptable, and that all courses must include live fire.

In theory, but SLFB accepts the NRA home firearm safety course If you send the MSP certificate.

When I applied for my CT non-res., I copied my Mass. approved safety course, which wasn't NRA, live fire, or anything other than sitting down and talking about guns and gun laws for 3 hours, then briefly handling some replicas and an empty revolver and rifle.

I still have a CT non-res. in my wallet...

When I applied for my CT non-res., I copied my Mass. approved safety course, which wasn't NRA, live fire, or anything other than sitting down and talking about guns and gun laws for 3 hours, then briefly handling some replicas and an empty revolver and rifle.

I still have a CT non-res. in my wallet...

exactly. As long as they have a MSP certificate they take it. For whatever reason they are under the impression MSP certificates meet their criteria, when they dont necessarily.

exactly. As long as they have a MSP certificate they take it. For whatever reason they are under the impression MSP certificates meet their criteria, when they dont necessarily.

My Mass. safety course was a joke. What really upsets me about it though is I was looking for one before NES existed, so I had to hunt around on my own, took me months to find and schedule a course. After all that work, I sat down and took a class that was a joke.

But hey, it's good enough for me to get all the non-res. LTC's I have, so I won't complain.

CT Non Res Application

I just got the CT application packet. There are a lot of things on the fingerprint cards that I don't know how to fill out (signature of official taking the fingerprints, for example). Should I leave fields blank?

I just got the CT application packet. There are a lot of things on the fingerprint cards that I don't know how to fill out (signature of official taking the fingerprints, for example). Should I leave fields blank?

Don't fill out anything on the fingerprint cards. That will be done by the person doing the prints.

Who is doing the prints? I thought I do them myself and send them back myself...
What do the instructions say? The prints are usually done by LE.

so, I only have the MSP certificate, no NRA certificate. American Firearms School only gave me a MSP certificate. Am I good to go for the CT nonres permit? I dont want an ugly denial on my record for future applications.

yes. the msp is the only one they will take
He said CT non-resident permit. They may very well accept the MA certificate, but it certainly is not the "only one they will take".

In fact, one course that qualifies for the MA certificate certainly does NOT qualify, according to the info posted at http://www.ct.gov/DPS/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

You should be able to contact the licensing unit (the address on the above mentioned web page) and get a determination regarding the course you took prior to submitting the application.

He said CT non-resident permit. They may very well accept the MA certificate, but it certainly is not the "only one they will take".

In fact, one course that qualifies for the MA certificate certainly does NOT qualify, according to the info posted at http://www.ct.gov/DPS/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

You should be able to contact the licensing unit (the address on the above mentioned web page) and get a determination regarding the course you took prior to submitting the application.

well since he is from mass, i was referring to what they want from mass. We discussed in this thread how the licensing unit accepts even the nra basic course if you send in the MSP cert from it.

Back
Top Bottom