• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crowd funding 80% lowers

Looks like a great deal, especially for billet lowers. I may get in on that because I would like a jig anyway, so I may do a lower/jig combo.

They need 50K ? I would assume that its not a lot of money for such a company to have .... when a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is ... just MO...

I did the lower jig combo -- we'll see

- - - Updated - - -

They need 50K ? I would assume that its not a lot of money for such a company to have .... when a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is ... just MO...

When was the last time you bought a CNC machine

I usually avoid this kind of stuff like the plague, but these guys are about to hit their goal, and they seem to have an existing business and online presence. I decided to assume they are legit and dip my toe into the water. They are only a few hundred bucks short at this point, so let's hope it's not a Ponzi scheme.

For only 50K, I'd say they are just looking to buy a load of forgings, then get a shop to fixture & machine the lowers for them.

If I hadn't found some already, I'd give it a go.

Yeah, it went pretty quickly once they got within $2-3K of their goal. I did 10 minutes of exhaustive, internet due-diligence, and I decided to trust them with my money. I went for a four pack and a jig.

If and when they arrive, I will karma one of them.

I saw this when they first started it and was a bit apprehensive. They looked to be a legit company, but ya never know! I'm thinking about taking the gamble and grabbing a few.

I did it. Got the four pack. Ill be interested to see what happens. I emailed the company last night about color options and they were very quick to respond to my email...thats a good sign in my eyes. I figure a 110.00 risk for four 80%ers is worth it.

Yes. The remaining work to complete the lowers is milling out the pocket for the fire control group, and drilling three holes for the hammer, trigger, and safety.
Why do you guys tempt me so ....

For someone who hasn't done this before, getting their jig seems like a good idea. Right?

Yeah, it went pretty quickly once they got within $2-3K of their goal. I did 10 minutes of exhaustive, internet due-diligence, and I decided to trust them with my money. I went for a four pack and a jig.

If and when they arrive, I will karma one of them.

Does the Karma include your help/machines finishing the last 20%? If so IN!

Again, I have no experience with finishing an 80% lower. But why wouldn't you go for their jig? Are there better ones out there for similar money?

Lowers look good (if you get what they have pictured) but I wouldn't pay a dime for those jigs.

Curious why you say this. If the locations are accurate, and the hold the lower securely, they should be fine for their intended use. I have a Bridgeport, but was still considering buying a jig just to have a cheap holding fixture.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I have no experience with finishing an 80% lower. But why wouldn't you go for their jig? Are there better ones out there for similar money?

Their may be better ones out there, but not for anywhere even close to that price! The cheapest ones I have seen are minimally $100.

You don't want to go with a cheap jig (which that is IMO)... You want thick side pieces, that hold the lower in position, and top plates that are either held in position with good hardware, or you don't need to have on there in order to machine the lower. There are cheap jigs out there (cheap make, not pricing) that are held together by the top plate, that's also a good distance from the top of the lower. That presents more than a few issues when machining.

I would recommend getting one of the jigs offered by aimsmall over at calguns. Those are held together with side bolts, and you don't have to use the top plates while machining. We actually just scribe a line with the main top plate (entire contour), then remove it before starting to machine. Having a mill with DRO's means you have a much better idea where you're at with the bit.

BTW, using a drill press to process a lower, while it is possible, makes it take a LONG time. 6 hours, or more, is not uncommon. You'll have a LOT of file work, or dremel work ahead of you too. Even with a cheap Harbor Freight milling machine (their smallest one) you should be at 2.5-4 hours total from start to LPK in/going in.

Something else to remember. The anodizing on the lowers is a very hard surface. It WILL turn your bits dull very fast.

Curious why you say this. If the locations are accurate, and the hold the lower securely, they should be fine for their intended use. I have a Bridgeport, but was still considering buying a jig just to have a cheap holding fixture.

Their may be better ones out there, but not for anywhere even close to that price! The cheapest ones I have seen are minimally $100.

In my experience, cheap jigs are NOT worth getting. You'll get maybe 1 or 2 uses out of them before they're toast. Invest in a quality jig and you'll get a LOT more use from them. We actually have some communal jigs now, that will be available for people to check out and use. We need to figure out the logistics of it, but if you have a Bridgeport, then use a good jig. Otherwise you'll not be happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom