Crossing the Canadian border

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No, he's completely right. The CBPO working at the port makes the determination as to whether or not to admit someone who does not have proper travel documents. While you should have some form of passport, it's absolutely possible to be admitted into the U.S. without one. I've seen it happen dozens of times.

How long will you be delayed? How long does it take for rural border crossing personnel to gain enough information to verify your identity and allow entry. They need to do that, at a minimum, don't they? I would think to do otherwise, would be irresponsible.

I was delayed at a rural crossing in northwest Maine, for about 40 minutes, before passports, or anything beyond a drivers license were required.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You can enter the US from land or sea from Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Mexico with a Passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license, or a nexus card (waste of money but my work paid for it).

I know Vermont for New England states issues enhanced drivers licenses but I'm not sure what other states do.

Last edited:

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Maybe they dont hassle people with ID's from the state the checkpoint is in.
Last I knew everything was tossed after 9-11. In fact we stopped snowmobiling to Canada as well as many of my friends who live rather close. BTW I'm under 60 minutes to the Jackman crossing.

Instead of tossing half assed horse crap across the field why don't you provide PROOF that the laws have changed and teach us so we ALL benefit.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Land crossers into the US can also use a "passport card" - a high security, wallet sized card issued in conjunction with a passport for an extra fee. Passport cards can not be used by those arriving by air.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How long will you be delayed? How long does it take for rural border crossing personnel to gain enough information to verify your identity and allow entry. They need to do that, at a minimum, don't they? I would think to do otherwise, would be irresponsible.

I was delayed at a rural crossing in northwest Maine, for about 40 minutes, before passports, or anything beyond a drivers license were required.
I couldn't tell you with any certainty how long you'll be delayed. The law, as of 2009, requires U.S. Citizens returning from Canada to have one of the various forms of passport or an enhanced driver's license (which are only issued by Washington, Michigan, New York, and Vermont). I believe SENTRI passes are accepted as well. By law, presenting a birth certificate and regular driver's license is no longer sufficient to gain admission. However, as was mentioned in post #18, even though the law requires a passport, you can't really be denied entry for not having one. How long you'll be delayed depends on local policy at the port of entry, how believable your story is, your prior crossing history, and any number of other factors. But eventually you will be admitted.

Here on the southern border it's not unusual for Marines from the nearby base to get drunk, go to Mexico, get drunker, try to cross back into the U.S. to return to base, and discover that they either forgot or never even owned a passport. Usually the CBPO just lectures them and sends them on their way. I've also seen snowbirds cross into Mexico and try to return by showing their license and birth certificate because they didn't know the law changed. Again, the worst consequence I've ever seen was a lecture from the CPBO, then they were allowed to enter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom