• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossing state line while carrying a gun on a boat

AMV

NES Member
Their may not be an definitive answer on this but.... If I leave from a port in MA on my boat while carrying concealed. I travel into RI waters fishing, cruising sight seeing ect.... and return to land at the port in ma without ever departing the vessel would I be covered under the laws of unobstructed passage through the State of RI?
The argument can be made stopping to fish would be like stopping to go shopping, but it seems more like hitting the drive through at D&D because I never leave my vessel....

Thoughts and opinions welcome

11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun.

(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

Last edited:
A serious answer to this. Write RI AG or BCI and you will likely get a response that might answer your question. Also check the RI hunting/fishing regs to make sure nothing lurks there that could bite you.

Back
Top Bottom