Crossed into the dark side (AK world)

AK mags are hard to tell, flintoid has outlined it in previous posts. basically--you're good though. don't worry about it unless you're specifically seeking out shit like tapco which you KNOW is brand new and in the package, etc. for mags don't pay more than $20/ea. even $20 can be high depending on what you're looking at.

sup with the flash hider? who classified it? which one is it? the ATF no longer tests flash hiding properties of stuff so it sure wasn't them.

Thanks. I kind of had a feeling that all of the metal ones that are normally seen at the gun shows are likely old surplus stuff, but figured I would ask, being new to this.

As for the brakes, there was a discussion either in the firearm section of here, or another site that I was reading when researching this purchase. It was before they were available in MA, and apparently the FH had to go, as well as obviously ditching the 30 round supplied mag in favor of a 10 rounder to meet whatever AWB compliance they had to in order to bring them in state. On mine you can clearly see where the barrel was machined down before threading, but they skipped that step for the MA version. I figure I will buy a couple of types since they are cheap, and bore them to fit my barrel, and make them either clamp, or be held on with set screws while I test for what I like. Shouldn't be any violation of the AWB since the barrel is over legal length, and there are no threads when the device is removed. I may make a few different designs to experiment with also, and base them on designs that get good reviews.

If you're looking for pre-ban mags, send a pm to Saiga1287. He usually has quite a few mags on hand for various guns/calibers.

Thank you, I have seen his ads for other mags, but never thought of asking about the AK ones.

As an update, I finally got this out to the range yesterday for a quick trial. I only brought 2 boxes of ammo with me because I was limited for time, and was wanting to fit in some pistol shooting too. I only shot it out to 50 yards, and threw on a grip pod to see how it would group. I was using the cheap Tula ammo, but it still impressed me for a first time shooting this platform. I was able to group in the black on a standard 25 yd slow fire pistol target, and keep a group of 7 out 10 in a 2" circle on my second mag. The first mag grouped just as well, but was just outside the black, so I had to tweak the windage a bit. Elevation was near perfect, and the windage is easy to adjust because unlike most AKs I have seen, this one has a rear site windage adjustment so you don't have to tweak the front sight unless it's really off. I only have 40 rounds through it, but it was flawless so far. The only thing I did to it before shooting was to field strip it, and run a brush and some patches through the barrel to clean the manufacturing chips, and oil out. One thing that I didn't count on though, was that the recoil was going to make my right arm a bit shaky afterwards when I was pistol shooting. Next time I will do the pistol shooting first![laugh]

Thank you, I have seen his ads for other mags, but never thought of asking about the AK ones.

As an update, I finally got this out to the range yesterday for a quick trial. I only brought 2 boxes of ammo with me because I was limited for time, and was wanting to fit in some pistol shooting too. I only shot it out to 50 yards, and threw on a grip pod to see how it would group. I was using the cheap Tula ammo, but it still impressed me for a first time shooting this platform. I was able to group in the black on a standard 25 yd slow fire pistol target, and keep a group of 7 out 10 in a 2" circle on my second mag. The first mag grouped just as well, but was just outside the black, so I had to tweak the windage a bit. Elevation was near perfect, and the windage is easy to adjust because unlike most AKs I have seen, this one has a rear site windage adjustment so you don't have to tweak the front sight unless it's really off. I only have 40 rounds through it, but it was flawless so far. The only thing I did to it before shooting was to field strip it, and run a brush and some patches through the barrel to clean the manufacturing chips, and oil out. One thing that I didn't count on though, was that the recoil was going to make my right arm a bit shaky afterwards when I was pistol shooting. Next time I will do the pistol shooting first![laugh]

Get a mosin, then you'll know recoil lol. Glad to here you're liking it.

Get a mosin, then you'll know recoil lol. Glad to here you're liking it.

Yeah I have heard that about the Mosins. It wasn't that bad, but compared to my middy AR, it made my AR feel like a .22![laugh] I think a good brake will help, and I have also read about some internal buffers. Anyone here use those? I can certainly live with it like it is, but if I can make it more pleasant to shoot that would be even better of course.

Yeah I have heard that about the Mosins. It wasn't that bad, but compared to my middy AR, it made my AR feel like a .22![laugh] I think a good brake will help, and I have also read about some internal buffers. Anyone here use those? I can certainly live with it like it is, but if I can make it more pleasant to shoot that would be even better of course.

I bought a buffer in the belief that it would prolong my aks life, upon installation I promptly sent the recoil spring retainer thingy down range....still runs like a champ. Don't notice any difference in felt recoil, no biggy recoil is half the fun imho. The best recoil fix is shoot a f load of ammo you'll get used to it.

dudes, child soldiers in africa don't complain about the recoil--and some of them don't even have two complete arms.

if your AK is too tough on your shoulders which are apparently made of play-dough you can FA-10 those bitches right over to me.

[wink]

dudes, child soldiers in africa don't complain about the recoil--and some of them don't even have two complete arms.

if your AK is too tough on your shoulders which are apparently made of play-dough you can FA-10 those bitches right over to me.

[wink]

[laugh2]Nah, it's not that bad! Like the other guy said, I was thinking that a buffer of some sort would not just make it feel smoother but prolong the life of the gun, but maybe that's a non-issue since these things can apparently take quite a beating and still function from what I am reading. Part of the problem was probably because I was shooting off the bench on a bipod so the stock was riding high on my shoulder. Definitely loving this gun, though![grin]

[laugh2]Nah, it's not that bad! Like the other guy said, I was thinking that a buffer of some sort would not just make it feel smoother but prolong the life of the gun, but maybe that's a non-issue since these things can apparently take quite a beating and still function from what I am reading. Part of the problem was probably because I was shooting off the bench on a bipod so the stock was riding high on my shoulder. Definitely loving this gun, though![grin]

Flintoid is right, practice safe ak-ing, gay aids isn't worth it....

Recoil buffers are gayer than AIDS.

unless they are made from soft, supple, natural boobs:

boobs.jpg

Wtf is "Killy".....is this some new gay buzzword from MA?

Nice Ak.

[laugh2]You must have missed the thread where someone suggested adding that word to the dictionary. Many of us use that in a tongue in cheek manner to describe our evil black "killy" rifles.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom