Crossbreed Mini-Tuck Review

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I bought a used PM9 that came with a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck holster, so I figured that I'd give it an extensive test while on vacation in VT and NH. What follows are my opinions of this holster, based on wearing it for 8 days straight. [NOTE: I am a huge fan of the Milt Sparks VMII and thus my comparison is largely between the two holsters.]

- I found that the leather is thin and thus the gun seems a bit uncomfortable to me all the time.
- Since the gun never left the holster for 7 of those 8 days, one day when I picked it up, the gun dumped out on the carpet. This will NOT happen with a MS VMII!
- Total comfort between the two holsters is like night and day. But if you've never tried a VMII, you likely will like the Crossbreed as it is a lot better than most of the cheap holsters out there.
- The design does not contour to the body/belt nearly as well as the VMII. Looks like a huge tumor on my side when I look in the mirror w/o a shirt over it.

YMMV, but you can expect to see this in the For Sale section shortly. I do think that the PM9 makes a better pocket gun than an IWB gun, I'll stick to carrying something bigger on the belt.

Thank you for the review Len. I have not tried the mini-tuck but I have 3 of the regular crossbreed IWB's and a Supertuck and I have an MS VMII and although all are comfortable and the VMII is of much higher quality,I have found the crossbreeds to be more comfortable over long periods but as they say everyone is different and your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
those milt sparks holsters are sweet & the crossbreed can be adjusted/tightened to your preference by heating up the kydex. i personally pocket carry my pm9 in a remora holster almost every day. and if/when i do carry it iwb its in a basic single clip style that cost me $20. the pm9 is small enough not to need a double clip style holster & a big holster kinda contradicts the point of the compact size, imho.

Thank you for the review Len. I have not tried the mini-tuck but I have 3 of the regular crossbreed IWB's and a Supertuck and I have an MS VMII and although all are comfortable and the VMII is of much higher quality,I have found the crossbreeds to be more comfortable over long periods but as they say everyone is different and your mileage may vary.

Right you are, some will like one over the other wrt comfort and price isn't always the leading factor.

those milt sparks holsters are sweet & the crossbreed can be adjusted/tightened to your preference by heating up the kydex. i personally pocket carry my pm9 in a remora holster almost every day. and if/when i do carry it iwb its in a basic single clip style that cost me $20. the pm9 is small enough not to need a double clip style holster & a big holster kinda contradicts the point of the compact size, imho.

I agree that an IWB holster for such a small gun is not needed. I have a Mika pocket holster which will be home to the PM9 in the future.

I purposely decided to leave the larger gun home for this trip and wanted to give the Crossbreed Mini-Tuck a fair try. Mission accomplished!

Thanks for the review Len.

Is your holster cowhide (black) or horsehide (natural)? I have one of each and the horsehide is much thicker. I actually prefer the thinner cowhide for comfort because it flexes better as I bend and move (worn at about 2-2:30), but it sounds like you may prefer a horsehide.

If you are not happy with the retention, you can also send it back and they will tighten it up for you. I bought one of their seconds, which is a final sale only sold at a significant discount, and they still had me send it in and they fixed it for free. IME, Crossbreed customer service is second to none.

Thanks for the review Len.

Is your holster cowhide (black) or horsehide (natural)? I have one of each and the horsehide is much thicker. I actually prefer the thinner cowhide for comfort because it flexes better as I bend and move (worn at about 2-2:30), but it sounds like you may prefer a horsehide.

If you are not happy with the retention, you can also send it back and they will tighten it up for you. I bought one of their seconds, which is a final sale only sold at a significant discount, and they still had me send it in and they fixed it for free. IME, Crossbreed customer service is second to none.

If you are asking about the Crossbreed, it is very thin leather, but natural color.

If you are asking about my VMIIs, they are horsehide and they are black.

I'll let the next owner deal with Crossbreed. BTW, it's the holster made for the PM9 with laser, which I have removed from the gun and will also likely sell off.

Thanks for the review LenS, I have been interested to see what someone thought of the mini-tuck.

FWIW the Desantis Super Fly is a great pocket holster for the PM9. (I removed the "flap" from mine.)

I actually like my mini-tuck, but I agree that the PM9 is a better pocket gun. I've also not yet tried a Milt Sparks.

I've been wearing a mini-tuck for a couple weeks now (still waiting on my LTC so its for getting used to carrying with a Sig P238 BlueGun for safety/training/getting used to the CCW lifestyle reasons... i know, I'm a geek, but a safe geek).

I find it to be very comfortable and of medium tightness (bluegun hasn't fallen out at all, but it is not full weight). I also learned how to wear it with my shirt tucked in and its completely concealed. I was thinking I'd have to wear a shirt outside while carrying but not the case.

It is black cowhide with the J-Clips.

Eye of the beholder I guess. I'm sure if I got used to CCW with something else, it might be different.

Back
Top Bottom