1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Crossbow Permit

Discussion in 'Hunting, Trapping, & Fishing Forum' started by chopper_man, Sep 25, 2015.

1. chopper_man

chopper_man Army Veteran NES Member

Hey all,
    Got my doc's signoff and submitted my paperwork about 3 weeks ago. Forms say that they will not notify you and that you must check the portal after 10 days. I have been checking it regularly, well, in the only place I can think to check and that's to do a reprint of my current hunting license. Am I checking in the right place? Under disabilities it still says none. Also, anyone done this recently, what was turn-around time?
    Thanks,
    -Brian

2. edin508

edin508

Just keep in mind that once you decide to use a crossbow for hunting you will no longer be able to use any other bow.

3. shootback

shootback NES Member

I had a laminated card mailed to me after several weeks.

4. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

Same here but that was eight or ten years ago.

5. jadek

jadek

Have you gotten the archery stamp? Mine took about 10 days from my doctor sending it in. I hadn't bought my archery stamp yet so about 10 days later I said I better get my stamp, and when I did it stated crossbow on it. You don't get an actual permit.

6. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Where does it say that? I have a permit to use a crossbow and still use a bow for hunting with lower draw weight? I do this in both Maine and Mass

7. Tweed

Tweed

this is in NH. I don't think it is the rule in MA or ME

8. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

whew....thought i was screwing up...I use a low draw weight bow for turkeys around my land in maine which is easier than luggin the crossbow around.

9. bluebanana

bluebanana

Have a look at the application for a MA crossbow permit. Clearly says you can't then use a bow for hunting http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/licensing/crossbow-permit-application.pdf

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  10. dogdoctor

dogdoctor

Yeah, in Mass you are applying for a permit under the rationale that you have a PERMANENT disability. Permanent being the operative word. So they expect once you go crossbow (for whatever reason you do), you cannot go back to a regular bow again to hunt.

In terms of getting the permit, I've got a contact you can call to check your application status. He helped me coordinate the connection to my online ID and notified me when I was originally declined due to my physician forgetting to check off on permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. edin508

edin508

12. chopper_man

chopper_man Army Veteran NES Member

Yes, I do have my archery stamp. Where on the license will it mention crossbow? I would think at the disabilities, mine still says none there.

As for not being able to use a bow, not that I can, but I think that's up to interpretation. I read where it says you "cannot operate a conventional or compound bow" as the stipulation to get the permit, not as a law prohibiting you from using one. I cannot draw a strong enough bow to do an ethical kill or to hunt deer/bear/etc but as another poster mentioned I could probably draw a lower powered for turkey. Again, I think that's up for interpretation. No where have I seen a MGL that makes it unlawful to use a bow if you have a crossbow permit. If anyone knows of such a MGL, please, post it!

13. dogdoctor

dogdoctor

Yes it will say crossbow right there.

Straight From The Application:
    PHYSICIANS PLEASE NOTE:The law allows individuals with a permanent disability preventing them from using traditional archery equipment to apply for a lifetime permit to hunt with a crossbow. Written certification from a physician attesting to the disability will be part of the application process.
    The applicant’s disability must be a permanent physical disability and as a result of that permanent physical disability, the person cannot operate a conventional or compound bow. The physician must provide a narrative in terms that a lay person can understand, as to how the permanent disability directly affects the applicant’s ability to operate a conventional or compound bow. If there is any question of the applicant meeting the criteria, the applicant is subject to a review by a medical review board at the expense of the applicant.

14. alphawolf

alphawolf

Where EXACTLY on your profile on the Masswildlife page will it say crossbow?

Thanks!

15. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

It will be printed on your license under your weight. It will say Disabilities: Crossbow.

Log into the system and go to re-print your license. Make sure that you use the desktop view. The re-print option isn't there on portable devices.

Bob

ETA:

It will also show on the left side of the customer profile under the section titled identity records.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  16. alphawolf

alphawolf