Cross country road trip

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife and son just left from WMass on a road trip to San Diego where he lives, as I'm sure all of you know who've been paying rapt attention to my other threads. I promised him he could have my CX-5 when he completed him MS, which he did. The Wife has a conference in LA on the 6th, so for some reason she thought this was a good idea.
First stop is in Philly tonight where he's meeting up with some old college buddies. Next is Roanoke, then Nashville. From there to KC for a baseball game and then to Central City, CO (cuz I loved it once upon a time). On to SLC, Utah to see his cousins and then Vegas and Temecula for wine tasting. Their original plan was south through New Orleans and a visit to my brother in Corpus Christi, but that's out.
Any suggestions for things to do or see along that route?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nashville....just get a hotel near the center of town, and do a pub crawl along the main strip. All the bars have good music, they all have shinner bock beer, and the food is great too. Tip the bands, many are only working for tips.

In Knoxville, TN, Calhoun's by the river is a nice stop for BBQ.

Driving thru Memphis? If you have ANY interest in Elvis Presley, do graceland, it is a hoot.

Going thru Amarillo TX, stop for a steak and rocky mountain oysters at big texan steak ranch. Ask the cowboys to sing "El Paso" by Marty Robbins for you.

Thu Oklahoma City OK? Stop at the Catleman's Steakhouse in Stockyard city.

Rte 66 Museum in Clinton OK is a nice stop.

So is the Stafford Air and Space museum in Weatherford OK

I have not visited it, but i would seriously consider doing Dollywood west of Nashville, just for shits and grins

The grand canyon is probably on the way too...so def stop.

Also hoover dam is great tour...takes you thru the bottom of the actual dam in tunnels

San Antonio is probably getting pummeled by the hurricane, but if they stop there, the river walk and of course THE ALAMO!

And by all means, make SURE you have a long play list of old time country and western songs to listen to the whole way. Buy a good cowboy hat at the first cowboy store you see, and ONLY wear jeans.

Last edited:

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If they're willing to take a scenic route between Temecula and San Diego, I'd definitely recommend a stop in Julian for rather epic pie.

dustoff22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
If they're willing to take a scenic route between Temecula and San Diego, I'd definitely recommend a stop in Julian for rather epic pie.
+1 The pie in Julian is epic as are some of the original old west buildings in and around Julian. Time has not changed much there.

Top Bottom