• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

critique this letter please

For those that live in Mansfield and have a LTC class A license, could someone critique this letter to the chief of police? I searched around and think I have all the important parts in the letter.

[QUOTE/]I am applying for a Class A License to Carry Firearms for all lawful purposes. Having grown up in Mansfield, I have proven myself to be a law abiding member of the community and suitable for the responsibility that is necessary for this license.

I have completed the NRA Home Firearm Safety Course taught by Steven Hathaway, who is certified by the Commonwealth of MA and the NRA for this course. In the course, I was instructed on firearm safety and the laws, rules, and regulations as outlined by the State of Massachusetts.

I am applying for a Class A unrestricted license because:

1. On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license.

2. Because it is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason

3. Because one is either qualified to own handguns, or one is not; and

4. Because there is no liability to a licensing authority who issues an LTC to a qualified applicant, regardless of the class and reason for issuance.

5. Because it is the Reason For Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms issued for All Lawful Purposes.

Thank you for your consideration.
[/QUOTE]

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Is Mansfield a town where you have a presumption of concern as to whether an unrestricted LTC-A would be issued?

Syntax and grammatical issues aside, I somehow think the letter would look different if you really had sought the advice of an attorney.

There is no simple answer to what type of letter will work, it depends upon a lot of issues which a good attorney would know what to look for. If you really feel the need to supply a letter I would have an attorney draft it, no letter is better than a poorly drafted one.

I heard its relatively easy to get an unrestricted class A but I would rather too much rather than not enough in the letter. At first I was thinking to end the letter after the 2nd paragraph but my instructor from the safety class mentioned putting in those extra items at the end.

I would write it a bit different, but my only big suggestion would be to remove all the "because"'s on your numbered list. The way you have your line of reasoning, its assumed that all of points in your list are "because".

IMHO needs some work... Missing some key parts.

Such as?

I would write it a bit different, but my only big suggestion would be to remove all the "because"'s on your numbered list. The way you have your line of reasoning, its assumed that all of points in your list are "because".
Good point. I'll take those out.

Can anyone post their letter to the chief? I think it would be a great reference to work off of. I searched but could not find anything substantial. Its unclear to me what I have to say in this letter. Mansfield is a green town but it seems like I can't get away with saying 'for all lawful purposes'

I'm not a huge fan of a "list form" letter, but here's a shot.

I am writing in support of my application for an unrestricted Class A License to Carry Firearms, as required by department policy. I have completed the necessary NRA Home Firearms Safety Course as required by Massachusetts General Laws, under the tutelage of Massachusetts certified instructor Steven Hathaway, and received instruction on all aspects of firearms safety as well as information concerning the laws and regulations of the state.

My reasons for applying for an unrestricted Class A License to Carry are as follows:

1. To prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license.

2. Because it is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason

3. Because there is no liability to a licensing authority who issues a license to a qualified applicant, regardless of the class and reason for issuance.

If you should require any further information or wish to contact me regarding my application, my phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx and my email address is [email protected]. Thank you for taking the time to consider my application and I hope to receive a favorable response from your department.

Sincerely yours,
XXX

Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I think you should also include YOUR personal need to have a firearm as well as information about Your affiliations /clubs shooting sports etc. Otherwise very good.

Yep, I agree. A short blurb about yourself and perhaps any prior firearms experience you have would be very valuable.

The bulk of that comes from some points Scrivener gave a while back. It tends to have that "in your face" attitude that we've all come to expect from Kieth. Unless you know that you're headed into a confrontation with your chief, I'd try to tone it down a little. I'd start with a list of reasons for which you want to have firearms, making sure that the list was sufficiently comprehensive to justify an unrestricted LTC-A. For example, "I would like to be able to legally possess and use firearms for hunting, competitive shooting, recreational target shooting, personal defense in my home and, perhaps on occasions that warrant it, concealed carry for protection." Then if you really felt it necessary, state that "a Class A License to Carry is the class recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and as such is the most commonly issued class of license." I suspect that once one throws out something to the effect of "on the advice of counsel" the police would tend to start treating this as more adversarial than they might otherwise.

Ken

I had originally gone with a letter similar to that. I had posted here for critique like you did. The person responsible for writing that up - we all know who he is, ripped me to shreds over it. Mind you, HE WROTE IT!. I just copied most of it. [rolleyes] http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30048&highlight=letter

I went with this instead...

John M. Souza
Chief of Police
Fall River Police Department
685 Pleasant Street
Fall River, MA 02721
Dear Chief Souza:

We live in an age where anyone, anywhere, anytime can be a victim of a violent crime. A law abiding citizen should be allowed the means to defend and protect themselves and their loved ones whether it be in their home or when they are out and about. I am honorably discharged from the military and am familiar with range procedures and safe firearms handling in general. I am well aware of the situations that allow me to use/not use deadly force. Allowing a person to carry concealed comes with it a great responsibility. A responsibility I do not plan to take lightly.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes/No Restrictions for all the reasons listed above as well as the specific reason listed below:

1. Because I rent mill space inside King Phillip Mills on Kilburn Street in Fall River. This space is my own private photographic studio and I frequently go there after dark while carrying thousands of dollars in camera equipment inside my backpack;

Sincerely,

I got an unrestricted license out of the deal. That's huge in Fall River.

In fairness, that was never created as a letter to the chief, but as an answer to the item on the application asking "REASON(S) FOR REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CARD OR LlCENSE".

Ken

i walked in with 2 letters of conduct and a check for 100.00. 24 days later i got the call. class a ltc no restrictions

are u from mansfield? if so, thats great. im waiting for one more letter of reference and then ill be turning my stuff in. hopefully ill get the same result

I think the letter is a little over the top. I think you would be better off with the advice of the previous posters......describe your training and history with firearms and your reason for the Class A ALP.....keep it simple.[grin]

Last edited:
I do not live in Mansfield but I personally know both the Chief and both of his Lt's and that letter is a little over the top. I think you would be better off with the advice of the previous posters......describe your training and history with firearms and your reason for the Class A ALP.....keep it simple.[grin]

from what Ive heard from people, the chief of Mansfield is very fair. He will issue ALP, you just need that annoying letter stating you want it.

Back
Top Bottom