• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crimson Trace laser grips - stopped working after 9 years

rep308

NES Member
I've had a Crimson Trace laser grip for my SW 642 for about 10 years that I paid about $250, they are marked MAR 20009 manufacture. The laser was fast and easy to use, I really liked them. I took the gun out of the safe this weekend and the laser didn't work, I figured it was batteries, so I replaced the two CR 2032 batteries with some that I had.

They didn't work so I went and bought two new fresh batteries, polished the contacts with 400 grit sandpaper and cleaned them up with rubbing alcohol. There appears to be no damage, no battery leaking, everything looks fine. I pop in the new batteries and nothing. Check and check again with the same results, the damn thing quit working.

Are Crimson trace grips disposable with a known shelf life? This was not an abused gun. I'd hate to think that now $300 grips are going to stop working in 10 years. Any help would be appreciated. Crimson Trace has a published warranty of 3 years

Simple solution:

Call Crimson Trace and ask them.

And let us know the results.

I would not say they are disposable, but sometimes time is time regardless of use level.

I might try another set of batteries before I gave up, but then I have a number of things that use that size so I have a bunch of spare batteries around anyway.

On a different note, have you tried hitting it a couple times? Obviously not with a 20 pound sledge, but a few good taps to see if a connection is loose.

If the batteries aren't dead, (which you seem to have eliminated), are the contacts still making contact with the batteries? 9 years is a long time for a spring, it may have taken a "set". Take the batteries out, examine how they fit in place, and lightly adjust the contact. If you don't know what you're doing, or it doesn't seem obvious - get a friend to help BEFORE you break it...

I had to readjust the prongs that made contact with the battery on the CTG that I have on my 642 to get it to work. Gotta be careful though. They look delicate.

Crimson Trace has excellent customer service. Call them and tell them that your laser grips stopped working, they'll work with you.

Back
Top Bottom