Crickett rifle or youth stock for 10/22?

My son is showing a healthy interest in shooting and since we can plink in my backyard, I am thinking about getting him a rifle that is more his size. I like the idea of the Crickett rifle since it is a single shot and fairly short money. That being said, I have thought about getting a cut-down "youth" stock for my 10/22, but I haven't found a good source for that. Any ideas, thoughts?

I taught my son and many Boy Scouts to shoot using a Henry Mini Bolt .22

I've heard good things about the cricket also. I am old school and believe in teaching bolt action first. My son had to wait until he was 15 before I let him shoot the Ruger 10/22

I agree on the bolt action versus semi-auto, for youth to learn on.

Teaches them patience and the importance of aiming, that every shot counts...rather than pulling the trigger as fast as you can..

in fact, a single shot bolt action is the best ! (IMHO)

I still have my first bolt action 22 rifle I got for Christmas when I was 10 or 11...a Harrington&Richardson, made in the factory in Worcester. I remember the sounds from that facory in the summer time when theyhad the windows open, as I was riding in the car when my Dad drove past the building...I was disappointed when they tore it down....

if you decide to go the 10/22 route, you can get stocks on eBay for short money - all those owners who decided to go for aftermarket stocks wind up selling them. So for ~$30, you can get one and shorten it yourself.

As for training, just load magazines with 1 round to start out with.

The Cricket is perfect for kids. Short stock, a "peep" sight, single shot bolt action AND it must be manually cocked before each shot by pulling on the back of the bolt, a great safety feature.

Our club bought one for the 10 year old son of one of our members (the boy had a tough year, his 6 year old brother got hit by a train and killed) and gave it to him at our Christmas party. You never saw a 10 year smile as big as this kid! He went around on his own and shook the hand and thanked every member present! I saw few dry eyes around the room.

Several members present were impressed with the gun and I know at least 6 orders were placed that nite for a Cricket for other kids. The accessory catalog that comes with the gun had the kids drooling with the way they could "dress up" their gun like dad does.

No joy in finding a Crickett at State Line in Mason. I heard that there was a bunch of them up at The Barn Store in Salisbury, but that is too much of a hike. I wish that I could go back to Four Seasons...Carl! I love you!!!!

I know I saw a Crickett at Riley's a few months ago (little help I know), but am pretty sure there is one at Morse's in Hillsboro. I forget what color though.

Last weekend I took my old bolt action which I bought cheap, minus the magazine (that it did not come with), out to shoot. Over the course of 200 rounds it dawned on me that it probably took just as long to load one round at a time as it did to load a 10 shot magazine 20 times, if not easier on the thumb.

Back
Top Bottom