• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Creeped out a bit today at Martin Burns

I took a buddy shooting that had been dying to shoot his LCR, the place was dead until 5 minutes before we were gonna leave when a tan newer model Chevy Avalanche with four probably 20ish year olds pulled up in the parking space. Both front and rear passengers rolled down their window and stared at us, when we started back they asked us "how are you shooting today?" I simply replied "Good" and went back to packing up my things. I kept looking out of the corner of my eye and they just kept staring, never looking away.

I put a few rounds in my magazine and stuck my sr9c in my IWB and made it very apparent to them in doing so, and gathered my things and started to walk towards the car. In doing so they backed out and left.
My buddy figured it was some kids looking to smoke some weed who were equally as surprised as we were to see someone there on a drizzly day. I myself being a bit more paranoid wondered what else they may have been up to, i'm sure it wasn't robbery as a gun range would be a pretty dumb place to target but there is always people there walking their dogs or taking pictures of birds and these kids really put me on alert.... Something was not quite right about them.

Last edited:
Oh believe me I was. I had to stop at the gate anyways to unload and secure my pistols as I was headed to NH. It really gave me the heebee geebees though.

What a strange situation. I was shooting there yesterday because the cops had Andover Sportsman all week and I was dying to shoot my newly acquired Mosin.

I'm always a little leary because I do think a secluded gun range is a famtastic spot for a robbery, particularly if you want firearms. You walk down range to your target and they're back there with your guns. I try to make it a point to open carry my 9mm when I am there so nobody thinks they can simply grab my other guns uncontested.

Sounds like you did the right thing by a very minor show of force, ie, clearly placing your weapon in a loaded and accessible spot. Your instincts were probably right that something was wrong - you may not have known what these guys were up to but they were definitely up to something. Read The Gift of Fear for a great work on trustimg your instincts. The author talks extensively with victims of violent crime and the unifying theme is that almost 100% of the time the victim realized something was wrong when they could still have avoided becoming a victim but for one reason or another (usually worrying about offending a total stranger) they let themselves be drawn in until it was too late.

Read The Gift of Fear for a great work on trustimg your instincts. The author talks extensively with victims of violent crime and the unifying theme is that almost 100% of the time the victim realized something was wrong when they could still have avoided becoming a victim but for one reason or another (usually worrying about offending a total stranger) they let themselves be drawn in until it was too late.
+1 on reading TGoF. It should be required reading for all high-school seniors before they "head out into the real world". I made my wife read it as well and she said it was completely eye-opening.

i never really thought of the fact of someone stealing guns when your at the range setting a target. I admit Im pretty cautious about most things and usually at the range with someone....but def good to tuck into the back of my mind

i never really thought of the fact of someone stealing guns when your at the range setting a target. I admit Im pretty cautious about most things and usually at the range with someone....but def good to tuck into the back of my mind

That's why you carry your pistol down range so you can use it to get to your rifle .

I've gone shooting there once alone . There was another group shooting went down the first time to replace my target since it fell off. When I was walking back they where checking my shotgun out. From that point on I carried my pistol back .

I was there on Saturday.
Saw a couple of guys dressed in full camo with shotguns. What is in season right now, they clearly looked like they were hunting.

You should've posted on NES in real time to get shoot-no-shoot advices from the community. See someth'n, say someth'n, NES style!

I always confront people on a somewhat friendly manner when I think they are being kind of creepy. Seems to go in two directions, making eye contact constantly makes them either uncomfortable or engaging. Either way, I take control of it if I feel my spidy senses tingling lol. Most of the time if I am alone at the range I will walk down with my rifle in hand a mag in my pocket. I really don't like walking down range on the 100yd with my rifle on the deck and ammo sitting around. You did the right thing though a little subtle show of force..

I always confront people on a somewhat friendly manner when I think they are being kind of creepy. Seems to go in two directions, making eye contact constantly makes them either uncomfortable or engaging. Either way, I take control of it if I feel my spidy senses tingling lol. Most of the time if I am alone at the range I will walk down with my rifle in hand a mag in my pocket. I really don't like walking down range on the 100yd with my rifle on the deck and ammo sitting around. You did the right thing though a little subtle show of force..

This. Eye contact is crucial.

And you'd think gun ranges are generally safe. No one ever said thieves are always smart. [wink]

Fail. You're not prepared. You're supposed to have like a Lasonic Ghetto Blaster at the range with you at all times, and then when guys like that show up, you play this...

They'll instantly know you're a force to be reckoned with and get the **** out of dodge. Gotta out-gangster them. [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
I sling my rifle, unloaded, when I go downrange at the 100 yard range. Plus, I have a spare mag, and my pistol loaded. I could totally see a group of 4 jumping one or two if they thought all of the firearms were locked up all MA safe.

You guys are babies. I walk down range backwards with a 12 gauge in one hand (for CQB) and AR in the other and hold a knife in my teeth. I make sure everyone on the line makes eye contact... With my muzzles.

Sent from my iPhone

+1 on reading TGoF. It should be required reading for all high-school seniors before they "head out into the real world". I made my wife read it as well and she said it was completely eye-opening.

I never heard of the book before and now I will purchase and read it based on your recommendations. +1's all around! And back on topic... my first thought after reading that was you did the right thing to trust your instincts. Nothing happened and you'll never know what might have transpired had you played your cards differently. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom