Creedmoor Holiday Sale

TonyD said:
They are nice. Zippers are a little flimmsy but otherwise nice stools. Have to thank Derek for mine. Get wheels and a handle.

+1 my front zipper already broke, and I only used it one season. The rest of the stool is solid, but the zippers need work. [shock]

derek said:
TonyD said:
They are nice. Zippers are a little flimmsy but otherwise nice stools. Have to thank Derek for mine. Get wheels and a handle.

+1 my front zipper already broke, and I only used it one season. The rest of the stool is solid, but the zippers need work. [shock]
That's a bummer. Any warranty, will they repair/replace?

Not worth the time and effort. Even with the zipper broken it functions fine, you just have to watch if you lay it down.

My father used to shoot High Power (Camp Perry, VT ARNG Team) and had a stool like those. It lasted a LONG time.

I don't remember who made it, or if they're still in business.

Broken zippers:

Bring it to your local shoe repair or seamstress shop and they should be able to replace the zipper for reasonable money with one that should last.

Shipping it back anywhere these days may equal the cost of replacing the zipper. Also if they are using crappy zippers, the factory repair won't last either! Local shop likely to do a much better job and not cost much more than shipping would cost!

Since I used to be a tailor - most zippers can be fixed or replaced. You do, however, need to take it to someone who's got an industrial machine. Home sewing machines dont' usually cut it. FYI...

LenS said:
Broken zippers:

Bring it to your local shoe repair or seamstress shop and they should be able to replace the zipper for reasonable money with one that should last.

Shipping it back anywhere these days may equal the cost of replacing the zipper. Also if they are using crappy zippers, the factory repair won't last either! Local shop likely to do a much better job and not cost much more than shipping would cost!

And that's a fact!

I had a Euereka tent, the zipper failed. They replaced it with one that was as bad or worse than the original. My failure for thinking they would actually put a decent zipper in on the repair.

Believe it or not, the zippers are marked YKK. I understand these are supposed to be the best on the market. Most of the problem is probably due to the weight of all the shit we stuff inside that is constantly pulling the zippers apart.

Mine was the striaght horizontal zipper for the main pouch. Went to zip it up one day at a match and it didn't stop zipping. Came right off the end into my hand.

TonyD said:
Believe it or not, the zippers are marked YKK. I understand these are supposed to be the best on the market.

I hear the KY zippers are supposed to be pretty "slick" [twisted]

TonyD said:
Mine was the striaght horizontal zipper for the main pouch. Went to zip it up one day at a match and it didn't stop zipping. Came right off the end into my hand.

That is exactly what happened to me!!!!!!!

derek said:
TonyD said:

That is exactly what happened to me!!!!!!!

Sounds like it's not a problem with the zipper, but how it was tacked into the bag. Sloppy workmanship.

Upon further review - I now see what happened. Probably the same with yours, Derek. As I said, the weight is constantly pulling the zipper apart. The biggest strees point is the 'open' end when trying to zip it closed and it's pulling all the weight upward. The threads have pulled out exposing the ends and it no longer has a stop.

Looks to be an easy fix but would require disassembly and a good machine as Lynne suggested.

BTW. Tony - YKK's are probably the best zippers as far as durability goes. It probably is the weight that's the factor. The bag should have been designed with the zipper going the other direction, i.e., instead of across, go up and down - that way the weight wouldn't pull against it.

Either that, or you boys are just too rough with your toys. [lol]

TonyD said:
Looks to be an easy fix but would require disassembly and a good machine as Lynne suggested.

That's why I wont bother getting it fixed. Taking that thing apart and sliding of the bag is not worth the effort IMO.

derek said:
TonyD said:

That's why I wont bother getting it fixed. Taking that thing apart and sliding of the bag is not worth the effort IMO.

You know, somewhere around here we have one of those hand-held sewing do-hickies. It's just the one end that needs restitched / reenforced. Could probably just empty it out, put the zipper back on and tack it together.

TonyD said:
You know, somewhere around here we have one of those hand-held sewing do-hickies. It's just the one end that needs restitched / reenforced. Could probably just empty it out, put the zipper back on and tack it together.

Just go easy with the "do-hickie". They usually aren't set up for heavy duty sewing. However, if you still have the zipper head and can thread it back on, then go over and over the end where it came loose and the head came off. It won't look pretty, but it should hold it.....for a while anyway.

Lynne said:
TonyD said:

Just go easy with the "do-hickie". They usually aren't set up for heavy duty sewing. However, if you still have the zipper head and can thread it back on, then go over and over the end where it came loose and the head came off. It won't look pretty, but it should hold it.....for a while anyway.

That's what I was saying. It was originally only one stitch line. The problem looks to be that the end of the zipper is sewn over in the material and that is the only stop for the zipper head.

JonJ said:
Lynne said:
derek said:

Hey...safety pins work. [lol]
Naw, DUCT TAPE!

This probably the one time in my life that I've found that duct tape won't work. Never thought I'd see that day.

TonyD said:
JonJ said:
Lynne said:
derek said:

Hey...safety pins work. [lol]
Naw, DUCT TAPE!

This probably the one time in my life that I've found that duct tape won't work. Never thought I'd see that day.

Well then you just aint trying hard enough.

Not to stray too far from the topic but, I've always said...a hammer, a hacksaw, and a blowtorch and I can take anything apart. Enough duct tape and I can put it back together.

As an aside, if the king's men had duct tape, Humptey would be good to go!

Nickle said:
JonJ said:
Nickle said:
Safety pins, big ones, like from bandoliers. I carry 2 in my wallet.
Aren't you afraid that you'll puncture your condoms?
Sorry, couldn't resist...

Yeah, right, I'm 51. The only thing I'd use a condom for, is to keep the bore of my M1 Garand dry. [roll]

Isn't that a tight fit? [shock]

Sorry...couldn't resist either. [lol]

TonyD said:
Nickle said:
JonJ said:
Nickle said:
Safety pins, big ones, like from bandoliers. I carry 2 in my wallet.
Aren't you afraid that you'll puncture your condoms?
Sorry, couldn't resist...

Yeah, right, I'm 51. The only thing I'd use a condom for, is to keep the bore of my M1 Garand dry. [roll]

Isn't that a tight fit? [shock]

Sorry...couldn't resist either. [lol]

Marines, have to teach them everything (just kidding).

Know your history, do you?

They used condoms during WW2 to keep the water out of their rifles. Well, at least the Army did.

Vietnam time frame, we knew better. Just carry the damn rifle upside down, water stays out, and what gets in just runs out. And now, muzzle down is becoming the favorite field carry. I've been doing that since I left Boot Camp (and when hunting before I went in).

Back
Top Bottom