• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cree flashlights

Another FYI for those you desire a high power LED light..

18650 cells are a generic standard. Most commonly used in laptops.

Laptop battery packs are shockingly stupid and will "go bad" when 1 cell in the pack dies. But the rest are perfectly good. My point is you could either a) Snag a trashed pack from work or a computer shop. or b) jump on ebay (after having done a little homework) and buy a older pack for an obsolete computer and open it up and now you have 4-20 perfectly good used cells. My IT guys toss these things on a regular basis. I grabbed one and broke it open. My 2 cell charger told me which the bad battery was (by not charging it) and now I have 11 perfectly good 18650 cells. Cost: Zero.

eBay hosts thousands of laptop battery packs that sell for pennies and ship for a couple $s.

So now I have a handful of $6 "1000 lumen" flashlights for a $7 investment. I break/drop/lose it.. who cares?!

Another thing to beware of is the cheap Chinese "1000 lumen" (pick your rating, the following still applies) lights will never put out their full rating. The circuit board that limits the power is often so cheap that it won't allow anything approaching the full amperage needed. But 600 - 700 actual lumens is still enough to fend off the dark!

word of caution, cells inside of battery packs are not protected, unless you have a good charger (at least 50$) i wouldnt risk taking an unprotected cell.
flashlights can become pipe bombs

word of caution, cells inside of battery packs are not protected, unless you have a good charger (at least 50$) i wouldnt risk taking an unprotected cell.
flashlights can become pipe bombs

Some do, some don't. After the now imfamous "flaming dell" incident (which was a direct result of using unprotected cells), a lot of battery packs started to include cell level protection devices just like stand alone cell-phone batteries. Older models almost always do not contain cell-level protection.

I started taking it apart and noticed theres a plastic piece that was over the led fell off. Does this matter?

Should be more specific its a clear plastic blob

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom