• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Credit Card Industry Group Approves Plan to Track Sales of Guns and Ammo via New Merchant Code

Especially if you're buying from BassPro / Cabela's and you're doing it for the double points for in-store purchases. Anything to help offset the cost of my next set of trolling motor batteries will help.

Does the whole store use this CC code, regardless of what you buy? Because BassPro sells bedding, dog treats, and kids toys, too. Or do they only apply "The Code!!" if you're buying actual guns or ammo?

Last edited:
Before you take your deli ticket, swing by the ATM. Remember, cash price is always a little lower.
I don't buy guns in a deli ticket counter line, I buy them sitting in my jammies at home online typically saving hundreds off a dealer, I'd have to drive 25 miles one way to..... if they even have what i want in stock, and 99% of the time they don't.

I get 2% cash back on all purchases, everywhere, not just some gun store.

And when i have to pick up the gun its 2 miles from my house, 10 minutes no lines, no waiting. Federal and state forms, 20 dollar fee, bye.

This whole privacy thing is funny to me in the state of MA.....I mean really.....those in MA that buy guns legally like I do....... think about it for a second.

Notice.....Federal and State forms....meaning they know what I'm f***ing buying anyway. There is no mystery.....Cash, Card, Check, Bitcoin....in MA if you buy guns from a dealer you are letting the state know EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE BUYING....in brand, caliber, barrel length, stock color.......I mean really.....why is anyone worried about tracking credit cards here?????

In MA if you buy a gun private sale legally, you are letting the state know EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE BUYING....in brand, caliber, barrel length, stock color.....

People are worried about some vague credit card code??????? ....when at the same time......they are sending a form to the state to let them know every f***ing detail of what gun they are purchasing???? Really????

Our privacy ship has sailed a fxck long time ago in this state, and its way worse than any MCC code on of credit card purchase....for christ sake........

Last edited:
Before you take your deli ticket, swing by the ATM. Remember, cash price is always a little lower.

Many people have daily withdrawal limits ($500). You'd have to go for several days in advance to take out enough. The closest BoA ATM is over a half-hour away. Any closer banks or credit unions would charge something for each withdrawal. Putting "The Code!" on CC or ATM card purchases might (will) curb impulse buys.

Just a note for those belonging to the DCU credit union, they have a branch office in The Point shopping center. Less than 3 minutes from The Mill. Plus you can stop by the Starbucks there and get you and your favorite FFL a nice beverage.

Many people have daily withdrawal limits ($500). You'd have to go for several days in advance to take out enough. The closest BoA ATM is over a half-hour away. Any closer banks or credit unions would charge something for each withdrawal. Putting "The Code!" on CC or ATM card purchases might (will) curb impulse buys.

That's why it is always good to have a decent supply of cash in the safe that you can replace after a purchase.

Does the whole store use this CC code, regardless of what you buy? Because BassPro sells bedding, dog treats, and kids toys, too. Or do they only apply "The Code!!" if you're buying actual guns or ammo?
Every merchant is assigned a merchant code for all purchases.

This is why Bass Pro and Walmart won't get coded as "gun dealers", but your LGS will. Even if they sell more beef jerky and camouflage and archery gear than they sell guns and ammo, they will get the "gun dealer" MCC.

I don't buy guns in a deli ticket counter line, I buy them sitting in my jammies at home online typically saving hundreds off a dealer, I'd have to drive 25 miles one way to..... if they even have what i want in stock, and 99% of the time they don't.

And when i have to pick up the gun its 2 miles from my house, 10 minutes no lines, no waiting. Federal and state forms, 20 dollar fee, bye.

This whole privacy thing is funny to me in the state of MA.....I mean really.....those in MA that buy guns legally like I do....... think about it for a second.

Notice.....Federal and State forms....meaning they know what I'm f***ing buying anyway. There is no mystery.....Cash, Card, Check, Bitcoin....in MA if you buy guns from a dealer you are letting the state know EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE BUYING....in brand, caliber, barrel length, stock color.......I mean really.....why is anyone worried about tracking credit cards here?????

In MA if you buy a gun private sale legally, you are letting the state know EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE BUYING....in brand, caliber, barrel length, stock color.....

People are worried about some vague credit card code??????? ....when at the same time......they are sending a form to the state to let them know every f***ing detail of what gun they are purchasing???? Really????

Our privacy ship has sailed a fxck long time ago in this state, and its way worse than any MCC code on of credit card purchase....for christ sake........
In the new setup the fact that you used a CC to buy gunzNammo goes, I think, to Switzerland.

See just exactly what I said. Mix up the inventory and the credit card companies can't call you a gun shop any longer, because then they won't know what did you buy, guns or camping equipment. There are other legal issues with this regarding data that could be shared with law enforcement. If someone is going to a gun shop and buys a Barrett and drops the platinum card on the counter to pay for it, is that a crime? Or just a purchase? The MCC codes are useless unless the only thing a gun shop sells is guns. If they sell something else (shovels, rakes, camping equipment, prepping supplies, whatever) they won't have the dreaded gun shop MCC code. Besides do you think large retails chains like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Orvis, Walmart, etc are going to want to have banks poring over every customer transaction? From the banks perspective what's the difference between a credit card swipe for a rifle or a couple of winter coats? Nothing.

Visa, Mastercard, Amex Face Calls From GOP Attorneys General to Abandon Gun-Shop Code​

The card companies recently decided to adopt a merchant code specifically for firearms retailers​

From today's WSJ.

"Republican attorneys general of 23 states are warning Visa Inc., V -0.99%▼ Mastercard Inc. MA -0.74%▼ and American Express Co. AXP -1.38%▼ not to move forward with their plan to add a new code to identify when purchases are made at firearms retailers.

The attorneys general said in a letter that the card companies’ plan could lead to the misuse of consumer data and wouldn’t protect the public.

“Categorizing the constitutionally protected right to purchase firearms unfairly singles out law-abiding merchants and consumers alike,” their letter to the three companies says. The letter, a draft of which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, is expected to be sent Tuesday.

The effort was led by the offices of Tennessee Attorney General Jonathan Skrmetti and Montana Attorney General Austin Knudsen.

Visa, Mastercard and Amex use merchant-category codes, or MCCs, to identify types of merchants by the goods and services they sell. The companies said earlier this month that they would add a new code for firearms retailers, who have long been categorized under broader groups such as specialty retailers or durable-goods sellers. The new code was recently approved by an international entity that sets standards for the payments industry.

Gun-control advocates have pressed the financial industry to do more to help curb mass shootings, though it has been an uphill climb. They say the new merchant code could help identify suspicious gun sales.

Gun-rights advocates have long resisted such efforts, saying they could unfairly prevent legal gun purchases.

In interviews, both Mr. Knudsen and Mr. Skrmetti said they could launch investigations into the companies if they moved forward with the gun-shop code.

“We will marshal the full scope of our lawful authority to protect our citizens and consumers from unlawful attempts to undermine their constitutional rights,” their letter said.

Merchant codes generally don’t identify the product a card user is buying. Instead, they describe the type of store where a purchase was made. That means transactions with the gun-shop MCC might involve gun purchases, hunting gear or a gun safe, among other things.

The payments industry has long been divided on whether to assign MCCs to gun shops. Some executives have privately flagged concerns that it could lead to the creation of more codes for cracking down on businesses such as abortion providers.

Visa, Mastercard and Amex say the new merchant code will function just like others and won’t stop gun purchases from happening. The companies say they won’t allow purchases to be blocked based solely on the merchant code.

“We do not believe private companies should serve as moral arbiters,” Visa said in a post last week.

“If we identify unauthorized blocking or intentional restrictions of legal commerce, we will take swift action to address such activity,” Mastercard said recently.

Sen. Roger Marshall (R., Kan.) recently sent a letter to the three companies saying that lawmakers would intercede to prevent card networks and issuers from doing “an end run” around the Second Amendment. The letter was signed by 11 other Republican senators.

Amalgamated Bank applied for the code to the standards-setting group that determines MCCs. At a news conference last week, Priscilla Sims Brown, Amalgamated’s chief executive, said banks had the responsibility to report illegal activity that took place over their payment systems.

The attorneys general of New York and California, both Democrats, have said the card companies should begin tracking gun sales and flagging suspicious purchases to law enforcement. At the news conference last week, New York Attorney General Letitia James referenced mass shooters using cards to buy guns."

From Vette Girl

"From the banks perspective what's the difference between a credit card swipe for a rifle or a couple of winter coats? Nothing."

Doesn't matter to the anti's, they could use the data to ID anyone who purchases items at a store that sells firearms related products and label them potential, probable firearm owners.

The last gun I bought was a face to face, cash deal, no paperwork.
Same with the last gun I sold.

Perfectly legal here in GA.

if you don't keep several $k in cash on hand you are already doing it wrong (unless you really can't afford it - but then why are you buying guns?)

Back
Top Bottom