• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Creative ideas for targets

I had a woman who was a hair dresser show some real interest and talent in shooting after I gave her and some other "clippers" a basic handgun class.

We met to shoot and she pulled out a half dozen "heads" that she and her friends had used the previous week in NY for practice durring some training. We had a blast wacking them.

The 12 Ga was all about energy transfer.

Don

p.s. This was done in CT. I'm guessing shooting at fake human heads with a suppressed gun (look closely) is illegal in MA. Everything is illegal in MA.

Its hard to believe I got paid for doing that class. . sigh.

66488_3617195398473_1024062683_n_zps04da9fe2.jpg

it's only illegal in mass at LICENSED CLUBS, of which there is like one, don't start that again.

I have to ask, is that red blood all over the PVC pipe and boards?

Coffee can put upsidedown on wood stick--simple fun!

Last edited:
I like to pick up spent shotgun hulls off the ground and set them up at 25 yards. They make great reactive targets for .22lr. I figure if you can hit a shotgun shell at 25 that's got to be similar to hitting a silhouette at 300 - 400 yards.

I forgot what site this one came from but take a 2 x 4 and cut a groove down the length of it and you can wedge saltine crackers in the groove. One box will give you a good supply of targets and the animals will clean up the crumbs overnight.

I'll have to remember that one. Would be good for my girls BB rifle as well. Right now they do soda cans.

Old paint balls- challenging with a 22 and a scope at 50+ yards
Large sidewalk chalk- I cut into 1/2" again a challenge
Clay targets-I walk the trap field and pick up unbroken ones.
someone mentioned my favorite already....old toys. The rubber toys found at the dollar store are pretty tough and can take a beating.
I have had many survive multiple hits.
Steel is always good if your range allows it. I want to pick up some AR500 steel soon.

If you have a range that does not specify PAPER ONLY set a large tarp under your targets that may make a mess....speeds up clean up.

Anyone shoot at ice? I've got an unused upright freezer I was thinking about filling with party cups of water with food coloring. Roll them to the range in a cooler. Figured the ice would make a good enviro-friendly target.

We have a top line at the range for hanging paper instead we hang chunks of kids sidewalk chalk off fishing line. It's fun when you get a good puff from direct hit and gets pretty challenging once they get a good swing to them. Plus clean up is a breeze with just a bottle of water.

I forgot what site this one came from but take a 2 x 4 and cut a groove down the length of it and you can wedge saltine crackers in the groove. One box will give you a good supply of targets and the animals will clean up the crumbs overnight.

Greg

I would probably eat most of the targets. Might want to keep wipes handy in case you do get the munchies, but great idea and priced right aka cheap.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

pick up some of those life size carbord cut outs... just be carefull who you shoot at, you may get a visit from the police if someone claims that you are planning on shooting a perticualr person... political yard signs work great for holding uptargets, again personaly I only use signs of people who I actualy voted and/or campained for...

I would probably eat most of the targets. Might want to keep wipes handy in case you do get the munchies, but great idea and priced right aka cheap.

Reminds me of the time I brought Oreos to shoot.

I like the charcoal idea. Pool chalk is fun. I've thought about ice. Just make up a bunch in assorted cup sizes. You can even freeze a string into them to make them hangable.

+1 on this. Be a good range citizen and clean up your mess. Tarp is a great idea.
The tarpaulin method also speeds up the process....sucks waiting 20 min for people to clean up....the larger mess stays with in the 15x15 tarpaulin 5 min picking up scattered remains. Then drag tarpaulin of range finish cleaning up...mind you another good idea is take your junk home with you. Don't fill the clubs trash bins with junk. Paper and spent cases fine but a shit ton of plastic broken pieces just adds to the mess for clubs. I think our club was cleaner in the days shooters had to bring out what they bring in. Caught leaving a mess you got the boot.

I got a ton of baby formula bottles, they are plastic, somewhat small and bright red. Fill them with water and watch them explode.

egouin,

Shirley Rod & Gun has about half a dozen egg shoots, beginning in late April.

OP --> I like 12 ounce orange sugar-free soda cans. Store brand are fine. Sugar free doesn't attract bugs and orange are easy to see. The contents MUST be shaken well before putting 'em down range. Hit 'em with a .22 or other small round for a reactive target. Catch 'em on sale at less than $3 for a 12 pack.

I bought a cheap iron plant hanger stand from Home Despot and hang tennis/ping pong balls from it.

Makes for interesting feedback when I shoot at the 100 yd. Can't go wrong with a metal hanger for $7, cheap twine, and bulk packs of balls from WalMart. Since it's a hanging target you have to fight the wind as well as gravity.

Golf balls, clays, candle pins, plastic bottles, hard drive platters, empty shotgun shells.
It is so much more fun to shoot at "stuff" than paper targets.

Back
Top Bottom