Crazy, unusual legal question...

A colleague at work has a large 38 foot ocean-worthy fishing boat. He frequently takes the boat 20, 30 even 40 miles off shore to do deep-sea fishing. He knows I own a number of guns, and joked that I should join him when he goes shark fishing (apparently sharks can stay alive for hours after getting caught - oh, and you shoot the thing when it's still OUTSIDE of the boat...lol). Then the idea came into my head about shooting at floating targets while in international waters (tannerite anyone [smile]).

What I don't know is the legality of taking firearms into and out of international waters in this way. Is it legal, or could I get into a world of legal hurt? What about shooting within the 12 mile territorial waters? My curious mind needs to know [wink].

You may want to skip the tannerite. There is acoustic monitoring around the US coast and I think that may risk garnering a little more attention than you would like.

You might want to schedule that trip for a date when aircraft are not coming overhead due to wind direction for landings and take off's. You just might get seriously looked at. A good idea would be to just call the coast guard and ask.

This has come up before... have fun and be careful. Just dont try to blow sharks heads off with tannerite, however fun this sounds I am sure you would be in some type of violation under fishing regs.

You may want to skip the tannerite. There is acoustic monitoring around the US coast and I think that may risk garnering a little more attention than you would like.

This. The acoustic monitoring extends pretty far out. It's super sensitive and I wouldn't want to mess with it. Having seen what the Coast Guard has on their boats when they've boarded during "friendly" visits, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of some of their hardware.

Shooting at a target from a boat that is moving up and down in the waves, is a fast way to get sea sick.[puke]

243693.jpg

Tannerite isn't that loud.

My father said he used to shoot ping pong balls with his 45 from his boat, back in WW2. He claims it wasn't very difficult.

Tannerite isn't that loud.

My father said he used to shoot ping pong balls with his 45 from his boat, back in WW2. He claims it wasn't very difficult.

Got to remember as well that underwater acoustic detection is leaps and frogs better now than in WW2.

Also, which ocean and conditions. if it was the Pacific/calm sea's then yah, I see that happening, but normal North Atlantic chop it gets a bit more interesting.

QUOTE=fencer;1622490]JUst be careful. I have lost soooo many guns at sea[/QUOTE]

What would an FA-10 look like for that??? [crying][crying]

Just don't go out of Boston Harbor. You don't want to be anywhere near Logan airport.
Actually, you don't want to be within 500ft of the airport on the water as that is a "no gun zone" under MGL.

Back
Top Bottom