• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crazy, but True?

Let's assume you were legal in a state other than MA - let's assume NH. You have the requisite license (PR if deemed to be required), were left no option but to use deadly force and was acquitted and/or never charged by NH. Does MA have ANY recourse to jam you up, either temporarily while the investigation is on going or after the final decision to clear you? I could/would expect the former, but how about the latter? Could they **** you on suitability if their interpretation was that if that happened in MA, the outcome (i.e. the defendants behavior or actions) would have been judged differently?

My complete guess would be: MA owns the license, MA calls the shots. With that said, I doubt they'd argue you're not suitable if you weren't convicted of anything but I'm sure someone will find an example to prove me wrong.

So is this a non-resident MA LTC? I'm not sure there is a "Suitability" clause but IIRC it's "may" issue so it can be denied without a reason. Someone correct me, I really should look it up before posting.

- - - Updated - - -

My complete guess would be: MA owns the license, MA calls the shots. With that said, I doubt they'd argue you're not suitable if you weren't convicted of anything but I'm sure someone will find an example to prove me wrong.

A conviction is definitely not required to become unsuitable.

Let's assume you were legal in a state other than MA - let's assume NH. You have the requisite license (PR if deemed to be required), were left no option but to use deadly force and was acquitted and/or never charged by NH. Does MA have ANY recourse to jam you up, either temporarily while the investigation is on going or after the final decision to clear you? I could/would expect the former, but how about the latter? Could they **** you on suitability if their interpretation was that if that happened in MA, the outcome (i.e. the defendants behavior or actions) would have been judged differently?

The local issuing authority can do anything they want to you on suitability (assuming they "know about it" ) because there is no due process wrt suitability. They can say they saw you picking your nose in public and suspend/revoke you for it.

A massively obtuse corner case not worth worrying about, IMHO. You can drive yourself batshit worrying about bullshit like "suitability" all day long and all it's going to do is raise your blood pressure.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom