• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crazy 3D-printed, layered cubes can withstand bullets travelling at 5.8km per second

Yosemite Sam

NES Member
I looked up the original article since I was curious about a “bullet” traveling at 5.8 KMS (17,388 fps). Turns out it was a 1.8 mm (0.07 in.) aluminum BB (which would weigh about 1 grain) fired out of a high pressure air gun and the cubes appear to be less than 1/2 inch across.

I looked up the original article since I was curious about a “bullet” traveling at 5.8 KMS (17,388 fps). Turns out it was a 1.8 mm (0.07 in.) aluminum BB (which would weigh about 1 grain) fired out of a high pressure air gun and the cubes appear to be less than 1/2 inch across.

They also haven't mentioned wtf they used for filament in the printer.

Using super mega internets abilities this "bullet," aka "definitely not a bullet" had 671 foot pounds of energy. Somewhat in .357 Mag land. I don't believe that those cubes were hit by something that fast and ate the entire shot unless the material they printed was proprietary.

Congrats , they reinvented Kevlar .

kevlar is just a material, I believe the matter of research here has to do with shape and structure of the cube designed to dissipate energy of a projectile. You don't need to fire 50cal at them to study how different lattices would absorb the energy and using air rifle makes it very consistent experimental setup. If they are trully onto something, then final material choice may be different.

kevlar is just a material, I believe the matter of research here has to do with shape and structure of the cube designed to dissipate energy of a projectile. You don't need to fire 50cal at them to study how different lattices would absorb the energy and using air rifle makes it very consistent experimental setup. If they are trully onto something, then final material choice may be different.

yeah the shape is the most important part. But this shit isnt PLA, ABS or PETG. And if it is I'd be amazed.

Might make a good catalytic-converter...

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm guessing graphene as a material. A whole lot of nano applications use it.

Interesting research. I can think of lots of things that could stem from this.

It would be something if you could eventually print out a vest.
Of course it would be banned quickly , but cool .

The Gizmodo article has a good summary of the purpose of the experiment:

researchers 3d printed plastic cubes with complex patterns

"The technology continues to evolve, but 3D printing is still mostly used for creating prototypes or parts that won’t have to endure tremendous stresses or rigorous wear and tear. That might not always be the case, however, as researchers at Rice University found a way to 3D print complex patterns resulting in plastic objects that are almost as hard and durable as diamond.

The complex crisscrossing and zig-zagging patterns that are used to build up the structures of these polymer cubes are far from random; they’re strategically calculated and engineered to give these objects their incredible strength, but can be tweaked and tuned to exhibit other amazing properties as well.

The patterns are based on tubulanes, which are theoretical microscopic structures made of crosslinked carbon nanotubes that were predicted to have remarkable properties in 1993 by chemist Ray Baughman and physicist Douglas Galvão. Tubulanes could be used to manufacture revolutionary materials that are both strong and lightweight but to date, the structures haven’t been successfully created given the challenging logistics of manufacturing with carbon nanotubes.

It turns out that the predicted properties of tubulanes aren’t limited to just objects that are manufactured with atomic-scale structures. As detailed in a recently published paper in the Small journal, the Rice University researchers discovered that even when those complex patterns and structures were scaled up so that they could be recreated using 3D printers, they still exhibited those predicted properties like strength and extreme compressibility, despite being rigid structures.

The researchers blasted two cubes—one made from solid polymer, and one made from a polymer printed with a tubulane structure—with a projectile traveling at 5.8 kilometers per second (which is close to 13,000 miles per hour). Neither cube was destroyed, but while the solid polymer block was left with a huge dent and cracks propagating all the way through compromising its strength, the other cube stopped the projectile by its second layer, leaving the rest of it completely intact and undamaged."

Somehow I doubt these "polymer cubes" are more effective per cubic inch or or per dollar than more readily available materials. Maybe ounce-for-ounce better than kevlar, but look like they'd occupy much more space?

Somehow I doubt these "polymer cubes" are more effective per cubic inch or or per dollar than more readily available materials. Maybe ounce-for-ounce better than kevlar, but look like they'd occupy much more space?

I don't. Consider honeycomb structure. It's extremely strong and light but royal pita/impossible to make with conventional casting/machining. 3D printers excell at making hollow spaces and voids.

Similarly, judicial use of steel, one can make an arch bridge that would be lighter and stronger than stone equivalent, even more so over plain flat slab.

Before cheap steel that drove skyscraper boom, there is absolutely no way to build structures like that with conventional stone and mortar. How lattice is calculated, stresses onto beams and girders, it's all math and being improved even now.

As mentioned by some, saturation of these cubes with some noncompressible liquid could make for some incredibly strong, light and cheap structures that could dissipate small area of impact over large area. It's pretty exciting.

Back
Top Bottom