• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crap, I built my bench wrong or maybe it's dillion press fault

I was installing a dillion Square Deal-B press on my new bench and it doesn't fit.
I bent the bracket that holds the spent primer and fail safe rod.
The bench top is to thick.
It apears that the maximium bench thickness required is about 2-3/4".
I used a front rail board of 3.5".
I mounted it. pulled the handle and bent the bracket since it is connected to the piston or what ever you call it and since it is under the mounting.
they make a mount but it will lift it up to high, The top is already high since i built it that way.

I have a single stage RCBS press that is the same way. Take some 3/4" ply, double it up and make a platform that extends slightly off the top of the bench. mount the press to that. or could you trim the bench where it is contacting?

mike93lx beat me to it, I've corrected the problem in the same way. If you need parts, Dillon will hopefully show you why they say "no BS". They have always treated me very well.

I have a couple of "red" 1/4" thick steel plates that i obtained by buying the display model of a craftsman tool cabinet, they were used to show how well the roller bearings draw glides work.
Now i need to drill some holes in steel.
My red presses don't have this problem (rub on blue), at least the ones i have now.

If it is too thick then maybe routing out the counter top to sink the press base may be an answer (would have a finished loo as well).

Strong mount to high.

I added the steel plated so it is canterlevered over the side. it looks like it will work good.
completed the press installation per manual
pull out my reloading books and start reviewing 9mm loads using w231 powder and the stock of hardcast bullits i have.
all ready to go.
pull the powder out of storage and no w231, what i had WST, i thought i had W231.
OK it works in the 40 I should be able to find a recipe for WST.
No official loads for WST for 9mm
found a bunch of others using wst for 9mm with good luck with some reference similar to w231.
however some indicated more some were using less.
My plans are 125gr LRN

here I sit, 3:30pm sat and no car and rileys closes at 5

Back
Top Bottom