• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Craigslist Purchase

So a friends contacted me about carry laws in CT. I know a bit but I wanted to reach out to follow nes folks. He may be leaving soon so I need a quick and accurate response. He is looking to purchase a dog from someone in CT he's unrestricted in MA. FOPA allows travel through states when locked in a container or in the trunk and CT doesn't have reciprocity. Is this one of those cases where there isn't many good choices?

If his destionation is in the state of CT. And he's not travelling through it FOPA will not cover him. He would need to be legally licensed in accordance with CT state laws if that's his destination.

So a friends contacted me about carry laws in CT. I know a bit but I wanted to reach out to follow nes folks. He may be leaving soon so I need a quick and accurate response. He is looking to purchase a dog from someone in CT he's unrestricted in MA. FOPA allows travel through states when locked in a container or in the trunk and CT doesn't have reciprocity. Is this one of those cases where there isn't many good choices?

The only way he can transport a handgun within the state of CT is with a CT Pistol Permit.

Here's what I'd suggest. Shotguns and Rifles (other than the very broad definition of an AW) are essentially unregulated in CT. Your buddy can drive down the road in CT with his (Non AW) rifle or shotgun across his lap with a loaded mag in his hand. Its perfectly legal as long as he doesn't put the mag into the firearm.

Anyone who is not a prohibited person can possess long guns without any permit or license of any kind.

There are no requirments to transport in a container or the trunk.
No license is needed to possess or transport a long gun in CT. It just needs to be unloaded.

So if your buddy is worried bout defending himself and he doesn't have a CT PP, I'd suggest a tube fed shotgun like an 870 or 1100.
In a perfect world, he'd have a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle. Because its a detachable magazine fed semi auto rifle. That is not legally an AW in CT.

He could keep the Mini 14 in the car (trunk or passenger compartment) and keep the loaded mag with it. If the mag is not in the gun, he is legal.

Or better yet, he if he owns a pre-ban AR15, that would work too. The vast majority of Pre-94 ARs are not AWs in CT. Be careful with mags though. They would need to be low caps.

Don

Loaded Rifles in a MV http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm

Exceptions to need for a PP. Your friend's situtation doesn't fall into any of these:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-35

Last edited:
i never lock my dog in a container, usually she is half way out the window. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom