Cracked M1 Carbine Stock

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
A couple weeks ago when I was reorganizing the guns and taking the racks off the wall, I noticed something funny about the Rock-Ola carbine. As I moved the carbine from one rack to another, the stock gave; it felt squishy. It took a while, but I found the stock was cracked completely in half from the magazine well forward through the bayonet retaining pin hole and out the side. I took it down, extended and glued the crack, and let it sit overnight wrapped with electrical tape. The repair worked, but I wasn't really satisfied with the result; I could feel the ridge of the crack on the repair.

IMG_4249.jpg IMG_4250.jpg

Since it was really a ratty stock to begin with, I kept my out for a 'cheap' replacement. We all know that nothing is really 'cheap' in this hobby. I noticed an early "I" cut Rock-Ola stock on GunBoards, but the price was a little steep. It was bumped last week with a decent price drop, so I snapped it up. It's really a much nicer stock. The cartouche is gone, and I don't see a "P," but there is a clear RMC is the sling cut out. Hand guard is a little darker, and rather dingy compared to the new stock. I'll leave it for now, and perhaps find a little nicer one some day to spiff it up.

IMG_4247.jpg IMG_4248.jpg IMG_4252.jpg IMG_4251.jpg

t

not sure what your worried about ? I did not see anything in your pics on the out side?
You can try a little tung oil wet sanding with a very fine scotch brite pad

3M Scotch Brite Nylon Pads:
7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.

RMC hand guard came today; I couldn't have matched it better if I had a selection to choose from in person. Got it off the CMP forums - the cheapest one of three who replied to me.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
HG matches nicely.

Would like to get a Rockola some day but they seem to be the most expensive of the bunch.

What do you think caused the crack on the old one?

Paid basically shooter price, or what passes for it now-a-days. Probably a $100 premium as with a Winchester.

I assume it gave out when I shot it along an existing fault or weakness, as it was not an old crack that opened up.

t

Very nice
I would take a used original over a new stock any day.
The character in the wood stocks is one of my favorite things about old milsurps.
I always feel like there is a story in every ding and dent.

Back
Top Bottom