cracked m1 carbine stock.. need help

btnh6668

NES Member
So i just bought a M1 Carbine. I was aware there were some cracks but didnt really see how bad it was until i removed the receiver last night. Is their anyone local who does stock repairs? This one will not be an easy fix. Here are some pics http://s79.photobucket.com/user/btnh6668/library/m1 carbine?sort=3&page=1
Im dying to shoot it so i need to find a replacement stock with metal for a decent price. Any help would be great.

o wow how is that for timing lol Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately i dont own any ww1 era firearms to post a picture of.

Last edited:
o wow how is that for timing lol Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately i dont own any ww1 era firearms to post a picture of.

I'll tell you what, I'll post the picture of my M1917 for my entry as I was planning to do and you can have the stock if I win since mine is perfectly good. I was just interested for cosmetic reasons.

Has there been attempt to glue it before? Good thing is I don't think that crack will bother function. That is how ever a long crack if I see it right in the pics.
Are there other cartouches on the stock other than crossed cannons?
It is possible you might be able to sell that stock if it has the right markings to a collector wanting a correct stock for more than a new stock would cost. If you just plan to shoot it.
Enter the carma then you could order a stock from cmp or brownells

I'll tell you what, I'll post the picture of my M1917 for my entry as I was planning to do and you can have the stock if I win since mine is perfectly good. I was just interested for cosmetic reasons.
Thanks jpm greatly appreciated.

Has there been attempt to glue it before? Good thing is I don't think that crack will bother function. That is how ever a long crack if I see it right in the pics.
Are there other cartouches on the stock other than crossed cannons?
It is possible you might be able to sell that stock if it has the right markings to a collector wanting a correct stock for more than a new stock would cost. If you just plan to shoot it.
Enter the carma then you could order a stock from cmp or brownells
The only other markings on the stock is on the back where the strap goes in that says RMC B. The crack runs along the whole inside seem. From the pictures you can see flaking of the "crazyglue" that was used. I can tell by the smell. When i removed the receiver it started opening up at the cracks. This will be a doozy to try and fix. Although i bought it to shoot i also wanted to have the history of it to with a time period stock. O well, i guess at this point if i can get something together so it shoots ill be happy. I can always try and find something close down the line.

Some brass screws (or GRK fasteners - bore them through the crack, cut off the head and sand flush) and some pentrating epoxy should do it.

You can glue it with super glue or wood glue. I prefer wood glue just because it gives you time to work it.
Why do you need to find a stock with metal? you can just take it off that stock.

I was referring more towards finding one with metal while I try fixing the current one.

A few things make this repair tricky. The fact it was already repaired, the crack runs the full length so gluing it flush won't be easy.

If you try it, get out as much of that old glue as possible first.

You need to get the old glue out; if it's super glue, use acetone but be careful as it will also affect the finish. Use a high quality epoxy like Devon Ora wood glue. Tape off the stock t minimize glue on the stock exterior reinforce with brass and epoxy if necessary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For wood repair, give user Cabinetman a shout and ask him to respond to the OP.

All his advice on the parallaxBill milsurp forums has allowed me to do amazing things with my milsurp stocks.

You have a few opptions. Poke around cmp forums there are a few stock guys there. Also deans gun restoration and shuffs come to mind. You might be able to find a someone with a Ibm stock?
Go slow and don't rush.

Since you have an IBM, I would consider selling the Sprague/Charleton SC-B birch stock I repaired and refinished for my IBM before I found the walnut one it is in now. I fashioned the wood chip from a piece of the yellow pine flooring in my house (1879).

This one has the butt plate and screw, as well as a band spring. No recoil plate or screw in it now, but I may have an unmarked one laying around somewhere - probably packed.

PM if interested.

Why am I still up? I'm grading 8th grade science tests. Someone help me...

T

Last edited:
I have an extra one, if you want it... you can have it... let me know. It's not like milsurp, it's finished wood.. used, but in good shape

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 21
Some brass screws (or GRK fasteners - bore them through the crack, cut off the head and sand flush) and some pentrating epoxy should do it.

Where it is broken you cannot screw it. It's way to thin and on the edge of the stock.

You can glue it. but you need to clean it really good and then squeeze as much glue in as you can. It's not an area that takes the recoil so you could shoot it like it is, but I'd try to re-glue it after cleaning. I'd even strip the finish off the stock first just to get it as clean as I could.

Where it is broken you cannot screw it. It's way to thin and on the edge of the stock.

You can glue it. but you need to clean it really good and then squeeze as much glue in as you can. It's not an area that takes the recoil so you could shoot it like it is, but I'd try to re-glue it after cleaning. I'd even strip the finish off the stock first just to get it as clean as I could.
You are correct dhuze, thats what i was trying to explain. That whole area from left to right is way to thin to put any brass screws through. I am determined though to make it work. The rest of the stock is in fantastic condition.

You are correct dhuze, thats what i was trying to explain. That whole area from left to right is way to thin to put any brass screws through. I am determined though to make it work. The rest of the stock is in fantastic condition.
You could try rustblue gun Smith in natick? I'm sure you could find some really really small brass even small brass rod to add support and expoxy it in.
Some times it may be needed to carefully break off the piece to repair it the best.

I watched my grandma as a kid repair and refinished furniture. Many times she would break off the cracked edges of tables. I was to young to really pay attention to her methods. I do remember her really liking tung oil for a finish.

I have a dumb question to ask. I am very new to the M1 carbine so im learning as i go along. Im in the process of fixing my cracked stock. I used arcaglas from brownells and it seems to have done the trick. Not the prettiest thing in the world but will do.Now ive sanded inside the stock area quite a bit to remove much of the raised resign from the arcaglas.What i don't remember is how the barrel and receiver are suppose to fit in the stock. In other words when i try to put the firearm back into the stock i have to really hold down the barrel so the receiver becomes flush with the wood. I understand the barrel is suppose to not touch the wood but should their be that much tension? If not i need to do more sanding.

I have a dumb question to ask. I am very new to the M1 carbine so im learning as i go along. Im in the process of fixing my cracked stock. I used arcaglas from brownells and it seems to have done the trick. Not the prettiest thing in the world but will do.Now ive sanded inside the stock area quite a bit to remove much of the raised resign from the arcaglas.What i don't remember is how the barrel and receiver are suppose to fit in the stock. In other words when i try to put the firearm back into the stock i have to really hold down the barrel so the receiver becomes flush with the wood. I understand the barrel is suppose to not touch the wood but should their be that much tension? If not i need to do more sanding.

Here are 6 articles that can get you on your way. I don't really see in my mind what your trying to describe but here start with this.
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/carbine.htm

Back
Top Bottom