Crack-x foundation repair, any good?

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
My moms basement got 2" of water from this weeks rain, something that has not happened before. After ripping up the carpet I discovered a 4' floor crack that was the source of the leak. A company crack-x in natick was recommended by a friend, and I am investigating. It looks like they would charge 2-3 thousand to fix

Any one have experience or advice? Any info on pricing, warrentry, or effectiveness would be appreciated. My mom is old so this is my call and I could use the collective help of the smart people here. I'll be meeting with them at the house in a couple of days.

Thank you in advance, I know little about this and want to be prepared.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought a new house, and the builder sent Crack-X in when the bulkhead leaked. Price was $875 (amazing - the builder paid without balking). They drilled holes all around the edge and injected sealant, which seems to have worked.

Their warranty is 1 year, and weasely - all they have to do is repeatedly try for a year, then they are off the hook.

falcon123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it came up through the floor then Crack X won't work. Those kind of repairs are good for walls. If it's coming up through your floor its a high groundwater issue. At this point a sump pump would be your least expensive option.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
we used a company called Crack-tek in our Northbridge house. Same idea of the epoxy injection. Dave was great, I think his warranty on the process was 15 years IIRC. We lived there for 5 more years without a drop of water. His website shows a lost domain, so not sure if he's still in business

Cracktek Foundation Crack Repair
Waterproofing
157 Hayden Rowe St, Hopkinton, MA 01748
(508) 377-4757
cracktek.com

falcon123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a new house, and the builder sent Crack-X in when the bulkhead leaked. Price was $875 (amazing - the builder paid without balking). They drilled holes all around the edge and injected sealant, which seems to have worked.

Their warranty is 1 year, and weasely - all they have to do is repeatedly try for a year, then they are off the hook.

Builder paid aid because a leaking basement is too much of a headache to deal with. For $875 he got someone else on the hook for it.

icyclefar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
What style of home? How far below grade is the basement floor? Does the home have gutters? Are downspouts routed far away from foundation? Under the right conditions it is possible that this was surface water.

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
standard basement depth with very good gutters pointed in the right places. This is the first time in 20 years that things happened. One theory is that the ground was frozen except around the house and that trapped the water.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Bought my house in April. 2 inches of water yesterday. We have a rain collection barrel near the corner at a downspout that was spilling over. I emptied it out a few weeks ago. Looks like it filled up pretty quickly. I'm hoping it was that oversight and not a continuing water issue.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it came up through the floor then Crack X won't work. Those kind of repairs are good for walls. If it's coming up through your floor its a high groundwater issue. At this point a sump pump would be your least expensive option.
^^^this...if you have an existing pump pit...if not it won't be as cheap

as for walls i the company that built my house do one of the cracks and it came out awful...then i had a local guy that works for a concrete company seal a few cracks in my basement for $100 a crack...it's a little side job for him...mounted injection points and injected a 2 part epoxy...you can see the epoxy on the outside of the 8" foundation...he had to go to training to be certified to use the stuff...those came out great...this is the stuff he used...i would suggest finding someone who is certified to use this stuff...

http://usa.sika.com/en/repair-protection/02a002/02a013/Concrete-Crack-Repair.html

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This. That being said, to answer original question, crack x isn't cheap, but excellent for right application, and excellent, transferable warranty.

napoleon1815

NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
Used them in the house I have a few years ago to fix some foundation cracks and a few weeping holes. Felt like they were a bit shady but the work was good and I have had zero issues since they did the work.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what fancy epoxy's or emulsions they apply water will at some point make it through . You have to get the water away from the foundation .

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if you are looking for a cheap DIY solution try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crack-St...oncrete-Joint-and-Crack-Filler-2051/203658275

I think they sell smaller packages too. If it does not work you are not out much money. Basically open up the crack with a diamond saw or chisel jam the stuff in there and heat it with a torch.

EDIT: The product packaging shows outdoor use only. Thats a liability thing...torches indoors, finished basements, etc....lots of things that can go wrong.

Last edited:

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a few cracks in the basement floor when I bought my house.
Used hydraulic cement before I painted the floor.
Some I had to widen out a bit before filling.
14 years and none of them have leaked.
Mix in small batches (Party cup size) and work quick as that stuff hardens REAL fast.
Drive it in as far into the crack as much you can with a putty knife and then smooth it off with a wet sponge.
Once the batch your working with starts to harden , chuck it and do a fresh batch.

Top Bottom