• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CPR/First Aid Class & Certification

Anybody know if there are any free or discounted classes in the area that I can get CPR/First Aid certified?

I know that the Red Cross offers classes for $80, but I was looking to see if there was anything cheaper.

Thanks!

Where are you located, I would be willing to do a "Green Member" AHA CPR/First Aid (2 year card) if I could get 8-10 people in Western Mass, NW CT. Cost would depend on what certification you want, the books get more expensive for Profesional Rescuer compared to Friends and Family CPR.

I am giving one at American Firearms School in North Attleboro on Sunday, August 24 at 1:00 PM

American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR / AED (Adults, Children, and Infants). $65 per person includes student work book and 2 year certification card.

I am also giving an American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid Class in Plainville, the day before, Saturday August 23, at 1:00 PM. 2 years certification and work book included. $60 per person

PM me or email me at [email protected]. Visit www.masscprtrain.com for more information too.

Last edited:
I'm in Watertown, but would be willing to travel a little if worth my while.

I just purchased the trainers DVD so I don't have to rent one, plus I already have the room reserved for an LTC class, so...I can go $55 for you.

I know that hospitals and non-profit community groups PERIODICALLY offer these classes for little or no money, but I assure you they are losing money.

Workbooks run $12-15 each, and the cert card goes for about $5
To give you an idea about the general overhead
DVDs $75-100
Audio Visual equipment $150-$500...+
Manikins cost $65-$150 each
AED trainers about $100 each
Hygienic supplies...masks, valves, face shields, cleaning supplies

The overhead is HUGE, crushing...and these items take a long time to pay off.

I KNOW THIS IS THE INSTRUCTORS PROBLEM, not yours.

But, you are getting clean, modern, well maintained equipment.
State the art training from a highly respected organization taught by an EMS professional.

If you look on line you will see other advertisements for CPR training for $20. You will get a card from some unknown organization that is not recognized by any credible organization. You will never lay hands on a manikin, receive feedback, or be tested. In a real life and death emergency, you will %^$% up. Your hands will be in the wrong place, you may pump not hard enough or fast enough. You may break ribs and freak, not realizing this is is not uncommon. You will provide breaths too hard and the victim will vomit all over you.

I am not saying you should pay some ridiculous amount for the training, but $65-$80 is the going rate for this, and it is money well spent. You get what you pay for. If after the class, you think I sucked than I will not take your money, not one penny.

Last edited:
CPR etc

I'm a Paramedic/RN and an American Heart instructor for CPR and first aid. Send me a PM and we can try to work somthing out.

Bill Lewitt
Lead Medical Instructor
Tactical Development Group

Safety trainers offers some free courses on saturdays in either Auburn or Worcester. But I beleive they do not "certify" you as having been trained. Our first aid responders at work are all trained through them and they offered the free training to family members and friends at our Company Health and Safety fair in July. I can try and find the card if you are interested.
Otherwise the 8 hour course was around $70 through safety trainers for two year certification, $90 at the Southbridge YMCA/Red cross 1 year certification or around $200 for the 40 hour course through MECTA in Millbury.

Check with your employer they may cover the cost since they most likely get a discount on insurance if they have people that are certified

Check with your employer they may cover the cost since they most likely get a discount on insurance if they have people that are certified

My last company and my current company pay for first aid training, talk to your HR manager if possible.

Back
Top Bottom