CPAP and 2022 Shortages

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm putting this here because I know a lot of us use CPAPs.

I only use Distilled water in my unit and I get it at Walmart (lately been a buck a gallon) But lately bare shelves.

I have been doing research on alternatives to distilled water, as tap or regular spring water will mineralize up the tank, line and mask, given enough time and the condition of your water choice. ZeroWater filters are also rated for Chlorine removal.

From what I'm seeing it's distill your own (electric or stovetop still) or what has been getting excellent reviews: ZeroWater filter.

The ZeroWater® Ion Exchange Filter consist of 5 stages that combine multiple technologies to remove 99.6% of organic and inorganic sediments and contaminants in the water.​

While not as perfect as distilled water, this is far better than tap or spring water, and the folks I've read about using ZeroWater say it is actually more pleasant and have had no issues for well over a year. (which most of the components affected by mineralization are replaced at least once during a year of daily operation.

I have ordered a bundled kit from Amazon which comes with a countertop filter & dispenser and 6 spare filters for testing out myself. (7 filters total including the one in the dispenser kit)

If any of you are in a similar boat, here is the unit & bundle: $102.27 (includes tax & free shipping)

1643051627383.png
Amazon product ASIN B08CF98TX9View: https://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-Replacement-Dispensers-Certified-Ready-Pour/dp/B08CF98TX9/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1D807CU0PBTF9&keywords=zero+water&qid=1643051545&sprefix=zerowater%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-11

Last edited:
I thought distilled and boiled were basically the same. I always for her but it, so I just run it dry. Mouth and nose may be a bit dry in the morning but it’s not really bothersome.
Nope, Boiling may kill certain bacteria, viruses, but it does not get rid of minerals & heavy metals. In fact, it concentrates them.

Boiling water can only remove solids and bacteria, meaning it will not remove harmful substances such as chlorine and lead from tap water.

My wife uses one and early last year I started to keep a minimum of six gallons on hand. I've also noticed the lack of supply over the last several months at Walmart.

We have plenty but finding it can be a challenge.

I was looking at those early on, but decided that a gravity drip filter that uses no electricity or heat (stovetop distiller) was best for me.

How do you like it? Does it use much power?
I hadn't used it in years and tossed it. For some reason about 10 or 15 years ago I decided I wanted one. No real reason. Sears had a decent machine(similar in style to the one I posted but no led readout) and i used it for a few years just to make drinking water, water for coffee etc. It was simple enough to use though it does take a while. Not sure about power consumption.

if walmart is sold out home depot also stocks distilled water at similar pricing.
Yeah. I was planning more for a time when No One Has Any. And being prepared for that situation...

I just grab the distilled where ever I find it, but honestly for the price of a new water tank you could just use tap water and replace the tank 2 or 3 times a year.

I just grab the distilled where ever I find it, but honestly for the price of a new water tank you could just use tap water and replace the tank 2 or 3 times a year.
What would you do if you no longer had access to store bought distilled water or replacement parts?

What would you do if you no longer had access to store bought distilled water or replacement parts?

I guess I’d be cleaning and demineralizing the tank from the use of water that contains minerals, or I’d be trading you guys 9mm for distilled water. Either way I’m prepared. 😝

Dishwasher the humid chamber 1-2x a week and use tap water. Works fine.
I'm ashamed to admit this is what I did for the first couple years because I missed the part where I should be using distilled.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B0894R8PP9View: https://www.amazon.com/DC-HOUSE-Distiller-Distilling-Countertop/dp/B0894R8PP9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=YAEUH2BRUYJG&keywords=water+distiller&qid=1643566530&sprefix=water+distiller%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-3

I have had an older version of the above distiller for about 2 years. My GF uses it in her Bi-PAP (similar to CPAP). It takes maybe 2 hours to get about 3 liters of water and works like a champ. It really made me realize how hard our well water is. This has been SUPER convenient, especially with all the shortages and such recently.

My wife uses one and early last year I started to keep a minimum of six gallons on hand. I've also noticed the lack of supply over the last several months at Walmart.

This has been my answer. I've been as low as four gallons when supply has been really dried up. So far it's enough of a buffer stock.

I've noticed that Target regularly has tons of distilled water while spring water is sold out. I don't use distilled for anything other than ironing clothes.

Check the "Baby Supplies" area.
I know a lot of times, there's none in the Water Isle, but you can find it in the Baby section. 🤷
Edit: Fwiw, I don't run a CPAP, but we do use it exclusively in our K-Cup brewer. Regular H20 , or even Spring H20 screws those things up totally.

250 will buy me 250 gallons of distilled water, 250 gallons will last me 20 years
imagine trying to get to your bug-out location with your tactical gear, 12 month supply of Mountain House, 30k of 556, 20k of 9mm, 3 rifles, 2 sidearms, winter gear, summer gear, 100 gallons of fuel, atv, AND 250 gallons of distilled water?
portable distillation is the only way to go.

imagine trying to get to your bug-out location with your tactical gear, 12 month supply of Mountain House, 30k of 556, 20k of 9mm, 3 rifles, 2 sidearms, winter gear, summer gear, 100 gallons of fuel, atv, AND 250 gallons of distilled water?
portable distillation is the only way to go.
I'll use a still then. I am curious how you managed to get all that other stuff to your but out location.

I see this thread has run its course... [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom