Coywolves

Is a 22 magnum good for coywolves? We have an issue at the farm and am looking for something small and handy for me and my wife without a ton of noise or recoil. Other options might be a Henry carbine in 38, or a Mini 14.

Looks like Mass doesn't restrict coyote hunting to a specific caliber or gauge or shot during the day, except that slugs, single balls, and buckshot can only be used during deer season. I realize you're not hunting them on public land.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/2020-massachusetts-fishing-and-hunting-guide/download

1595072877688.png

.22WMR would work, but most people who hunt coyote opt for something centerfire like .223 or .22-250. If you're trying to keep noise and recoil low, you could try a 20-gauge or a .410. A suppressor would be great here... but Mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
The term coywolves is a term the antis have adopted to try to make eastern coyotes broken into 2 different species so they can reduce hunting (and trapping where possible) because how could we differentiate between a coyote and a coywolf. All coyotes have a portion of wolf dna as well as domestic dog. Letter of the law I believe is a certain portion of your income must be derived from farming to get rid of coyotes due to depredation. Rim fire cartridges can work but go for head shots. Is the need for quiet due to the fact that you're flirting with the setback restrictions to legally discharge a firearm? Best practice would be haze the crap out of them exclude as best you can and then mid October when the season opens stack bodies. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. Also may he able to get you in touch with some coyote hunters in your area.

It's important to note if you're an actual farmer the season caliber restrictions etc. don't apply to you. If you're a homesteader or hobby farmer that's a different story. There are nighttime caliber restrictions to note.

If your farm is in Hopkinton, and you're concerned about upsetting the neighbors, the Mini 14 isn't your best option. One round of .223 bouncing off a rock and zinging elsewhere could be a disaster. The .22 Magnum is marginal if you can't guarantee a head shot. The Henry would do the job, but again, it's a rifle. A shotgun with a rifled barrel shooting sabot slugs would be deadly out to 150 yards. The Savage 220 bolt action in 20 gauge is one of the best, but it's not cheap.
Have you checked with Fish & Wildlife about a farmer's permit? Usually not a good idea to bring The Man into your life, but in this case it would CYA if Karen down the street dropped a dime on you. Good luck.

Mini 14 in 300 blk would do the trick , or better would be a bolt gun in 300 blk, can keep it sub sonic for the noise and will hit hard with a 220grn round

If your farm is in Hopkinton, and you're concerned about upsetting the neighbors, the Mini 14 isn't your best option. One round of .223 bouncing off a rock and zinging elsewhere could be a disaster. The .22 Magnum is marginal if you can't guarantee a head shot. The Henry would do the job, but again, it's a rifle. A shotgun with a rifled barrel shooting sabot slugs would be deadly out to 150 yards. The Savage 220 bolt action in 20 gauge is one of the best, but it's not cheap.
Have you checked with Fish & Wildlife about a farmer's permit? Usually not a good idea to bring The Man into your life, but in this case it would CYA if Karen down the street dropped a dime on you. Good luck.
I'm not longer in Hopkinton. I've moved out west a little and we have a farm business. I'm thinking a 38 at close range out of a carbine won't be excessively loud and should get the job done. My wife is very small statured but a good shot so another + for the carbine. My neighbors are encouraging of the situation.

.22 mag will work fine at close range if shot placement is good, head or vitals.
I have taken my fair share with .22 LR, none ever lived to tell about it. Keep in mind if not a head shot, they will still go 75-100 yds or so with lungs hit. Might not be great, if it ran to your anti neighbors house and dropped next to Santa Claus decorations in the snow.
I haven’t lost one yet, not saying I never will.
My go to for coyote hunting is .222 Or .223 but sometimes .22LR fills the role.

Back
Top Bottom