• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyotes cape cod

Frannyw

NES Member
so we’ve been having a coyote problem here at my house. The property is an acre, almost all of which is on conservation land. We have underground fence for the golden retriever that goes all the way down to the river. Tonight the pack chased the dog up to the yard and fortunately I got him away from them. Any thoughts on how to handle them? Not sure I clear 500’ from other homes to shoot them.

Last edited:
Would one need a permit to do that?
Yes, standard hunting license I believe. I think the more problematic part is that you can only hunt them on wma land with a bow (not crossbow)? Someone might be able to correct me on that but I seem to remember the laws being bullshit.

Yes, standard hunting license I believe. I think the more problematic part is that you can only hunt them on wma land with a bow (not crossbow)? Someone might be able to correct me on that but I seem to remember the laws being bullshit.
So I just checked it out, it seems the catch with wma is “1/2 hour before and after sunset” with the wma stocked with pheasant or quail during thier season. Otherwise it’s till midnight? It also says baiting them is legal. Not sure if that’s a route to go, I would just like them to move on.

I'm on the cape as well and just saw my first yote of the year in my yard on one of our cold nights. Also on a wma.
They are Deff a nuisance. We’ve had them here for a while but the last dog was a fiesty, large lab so it wasn’t a big deal. This golden is a snack and doesnt know any better. Deff looking into the archery.

Just had one in Westborough yesterday. Landlord said 1 pup gave chase responded to the call back. Yote didn't chase back, didnt even give a shit it was getting yelled at and shovel banged 40 feet from it.
It just casually walked down the driveway.

Just had one in Westborough yesterday. Landlord said 1 pup gave chase responded to the call back. Yote didn't chase back, didnt even give a shit it was getting yelled at and shovel banged 40 feet from it.
It just casually walked down the driveway.
A few sat on the edge of the yard and woods howling. They didn’t give a shit at all, literally just waiting. Trying to up load the video now

If they are a threat to you or your dog there is course of action.
Want to hunt them. Get get license and your rifle out.

Thing with coyote is they are always going to be around easy food sources. They ate not hungry this time of year and for the most part they are just messing with your dog....they might be sizing him up for a meal when it gets colder.

Look around and see what is the main food source around you. Coyote are scavengers more than anything. They dont like to eat what fights back until really hungry.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom